U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If you cannot come up with even one cogent argument supporting illegal immigration, how do you know we are wrong?

There you go again, i don't support illegal immigration and neither do most posters you people call "illegal immigrant apologists". I may differ with you on how to solve the problem of illegal immigration but that doesn't in any way mean i support it.

Again, there is no point in providing a different point of view on this thread. Just look at the replies to that1guy's post and you will also realize it's pointless to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
There you go again, i don't support illegal immigration and neither do most posters you people call "illegal immigrant apologists". I may differ with you on how to solve the problem of illegal immigration but that doesn't in any way mean i support it.

Again, there is no point in providing a different point of view on this thread. Just look at the replies to that1guy's post and you will also realize it's pointless to do so.
If you don't support illegal immigration, what do you consider your position? You certainly don't oppose it. You defend illegal aliens and attack all opposition. If that isn’t being an apologist, then what is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you don't support illegal immigration, what do you consider your position? You certainly don't oppose it. You defend illegal aliens and attack all opposition. If that isn’t being an apologist, then what is?
Agreed. Add to that list the perpetual screeching and protestation of threads posted that confirms the abundance of illegal alien crimes and atrocities being commited throughout the US.

The automatic screeching of where the threads should be located as a distraction in lieu of a legitimate defense as to why they continue on in a blaze of criminal glory, is not only sad but comedic gold at it's worst . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Reputation: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ok, my repeated requests for ANY pro-illegal to provide just ONE cogent argument for illegal immigration and amnesty, have fallen on deaf ears. The usual pro-illegal inculcation of “they are only here seeking a better life” has no validity. Nor do the other ‘excuses’ for those who willfully and flagrantly violate our laws.

Ignore your emotions for a moment, and REALLY think about this issue objectively. C’mon, convince us anti’s why we are on the wrong side of this issue. There must be someone up to the task.

Please, let’s keep it civil.
Maybe if we focus on the second half of your question, we will get some responses. What are the arguments in favor of amnesty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Maybe if we focus on the second half of your question, we will get some responses. What are the arguments in favor of amnesty?
That question has been posed countless numbers of times in this forum. This thread is representative of the response of the illegal aliens and their apologists who frequent this forum: *crickets*


Further confirmation that there is no defense for the indefensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Not even God himself could convince most of you that you are on the wrong side of the issue( Well, He can but most of yall would just ignore it). Judging from all the remarks so far, it is even pointless to try.
God Himelf has some pretty strong opinions on MUCH of what goes on today....and He gets ignored pretty regularly. Are you SURE you want to call Him in on this issue? What if He finishes discussing illegal immigration, and wants to begin discussing OTHER stuff....? Are you SURE He'll see things your way?

Better think it over.

In any case, though, if you really "don't support illegal immigration", then you're not an 'apologist'; thus this thread doesn't apply to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Australia
121 posts, read 208,278 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomegenius View Post
Spain actually got rid of its immigration problem, by making anyone already resident a citizen. Basically they calculated that having illegals meant around 4 billion dollars in lost revenue: taxes not paid to the government, etc. In addition, enforcing this was costing 2 billion dollars: lost trade, enforcing borders etc. Despite dire warnings of chaos the nett effect has been positive.
Preventing people from moving to where jobs are is one of the most damaging economic things you can do to a country. There is no argument for discriminating against someone on the grounds of where they are born except racism.
I agree completely.

In the 80s, Australian businesses were crippled with the lack of human resources. Our immigration laws had to be relaxed to ensure that labour was more accessible so that the economy can prosper; labour was therefore mobilised from predominantly our trading partners - Asia. Hence, the influx of Asian immigrates to Australia

Admittedly, some of the work were not exactly well-paid and it certainly didn't required a higher level of education and/or training; it was just work that had to be done but the local labour force was just not willing to supply

Despite our best intention, there were many who didn't entered the country the "legal" way. These people found employment, take up residency and eventually found their place in our society. In many ways, some of these people contributed more to our economy and way-of-life than the local citizens. As such, it was decided that we would NOT deport them and they were granted residency status.

Even today, despite the ailing economy and the high unemployment rate, we are still extending special visas to those who can assist our farmers. The local labour force is just NOT willing to pick "fruits and vegetables".

No one is arguing that entering the US illegally is a crime. Indeed, it is a crime. However, perhaps you may consider extending residency status to those who have already contributed something to your society. After all, I am absolutely certain that not all who claims to be "Amercian citizen" deserved to be a citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Not even God himself could convince most of you that you are on the wrong side of the issue( Well, He can but most of yall would just ignore it). Judging from all the remarks so far, it is even pointless to try.
Just as I suspected. No good argument, but plenty o' non-sequiter type excuses for the lack of compelling evidence in favor of illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
I agree completely.

In the 80s, Australian businesses were crippled with the lack of human resources. Our immigration laws had to be relaxed to ensure that labour was more accessible so that the economy can prosper; labour was therefore mobilised from predominantly our trading partners - Asia. Hence, the influx of Asian immigrates to Australia

Admittedly, some of the work were not exactly well-paid and it certainly didn't required a higher level of education and/or training; it was just work that had to be done but the local labour force was just not willing to supply

Despite our best intention, there were many who didn't entered the country the "legal" way. These people found employment, take up residency and eventually found their place in our society. In many ways, some of these people contributed more to our economy and way-of-life than the local citizens. As such, it was decided that we would NOT deport them and they were granted residency status.

Even today, despite the ailing economy and the high unemployment rate, we are still extending special visas to those who can assist our farmers. The local labour force is just NOT willing to pick "fruits and vegetables".

No one is arguing that entering the US illegally is a crime. Indeed, it is a crime. However, perhaps you may consider extending residency status to those who have already contributed something to your society. After all, I am absolutely certain that not all who claims to be "Amercian citizen" deserved to be a citizen.
I’m not familiar with Australia’s immigration laws, or the circumstances involved in your amnesty. Tell me, did you have 20 million illegal aliens? Were their children automatically granted citizenship if born in Australia? If so, were they entitled to tax-funded medical care, K-12 education, welfare, and subsidized housing? Could a pregnant illegal alien receive tax-funded prenatal and postnatal care? Finally, did these workers earn enough wages to pay sufficient taxes to cover all of their social services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
I agree completely.

Even today, despite the ailing economy and the high unemployment rate, we are still extending special visas to those who can assist our farmers. The local labour force is just NOT willing to pick "fruits and vegetables".

No one is arguing that entering the US illegally is a crime. Indeed, it is a crime. However, perhaps you may consider extending residency status to those who have already contributed something to your society. After all, I am absolutely certain that not all who claims to be "Amercian citizen" deserved to be a citizen.
Gee, maybe you can extend that privilege to mexico and the rest of the world. I think I can safely speak for every hard working American tax payer in saying that we would be so grateful to be rid of every single: non-assimilating, whiney, demanding, needy, arrogant, rapist, child molesting, drug peddaling, gang banging, identity stealing, murdering, social service and tax draining illegal squatter in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top