Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

MERIDA, Mexico — President Bush sought to soothe strained ties with Mexico on Tuesday by promising to prod Congress to overhaul tough U.S. immigration policies. But Mexican President Felipe Calderon criticized U.S. plans for a 700-mile border fence and said Bush must do more to curb American drug appetites.

Mexico was the last stop on Bush's five-nation Latin American tour, and the one where the political stakes seemed the highest.

Bush walked a high wire: He wants to improve frayed ties over immigration and drug trafficking and the Iraq war, but without alienating supporters back home, particularly Republican lawmakers advocating stiff penalties against undocumented workers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258441,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 02:54 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default hmmm

"undocumented workers"
I guess that article is referring to illegal aliens working here. hmm why isnt the illegal word used?

All Bush needs to do is enforce our existing immigration laws that this country was built on, and until he does that everything else is designed to take focus off the fact that he doesnt make government enforce our immigration laws.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Well, I'd love to tell the president of Mexico where he can stick his demands. And please, the references to the Berlin Wall? That's a little much, don't you think? We're trying to keep people OUT, not trying to prevent them from leaving--I'd be jumping for joy if they went back to Mexico and helped their own country instead of complaining about ours...

Old 03-16-2007, 12:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,088,633 times
Yes, and stunningly unbelievable words by Calderon and Bush. L.A. Times quote: "Calderon told Bush Tuesday that he could not win his war on drugs without reductions in U.S. "demand" for marijuana, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine that move by the "ton" through his country!!" Bush on Wednesday acknowledged a responsibility "to convince people to use less drugs."!! What!? Just say No to drugs? People please un-addict yourselves?
Sounds like They need to speak to addiction scientists at our government labs. To reduce addiction to drugs, a new pharmaceutical treatment stalled in clinical trials needs to be rushed through, then treatment forced for all addicts...their minds are not in most cases, able to make the right decision.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,088,633 times
L.A. Times: Bush said in Mexico "Amnesty is not going to fly. There is not going to be automatic citizenship; it just won't work. People in the United States don't support that, and neither do I. Nor will kicking people out of the U.S. work. It's not practical." Also, Bush said in speech "Sending illegals back is not practical, there are those who articulate it but it's just empty words." No amnesty is not impressive, there are still many millions of people here that are putting many millions of citizens out of their homes to the poor house, or on the streets.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:20 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
And we wonder why it's all screwed up!

I think Bush fell off his high wire and landed on his nads.

Sorry for being blunt!

What about America's poor, America's hardworkers, America's starving children, America's uninsured ...? The government needs to deal with this before they start giving even more handouts and more leniency to illegal immigrants. Maybe then America's own will get better tax breaks, climb out of poverty, have food in their stomachs every day and get that medical insurance that they so badly need, and finally that joke for minimum wage will actually rise to the level that someone can live on.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TETLEY TEA! View Post

Sorry for being blunt!

What about America's poor, America's hardworkers, America's starving children, America's uninsured ...? The government needs to deal with this before they start giving even more handouts and more leniency to illegal immigrants. Maybe then America's own will get better tax breaks, climb out of poverty, have food in their stomachs every day and get that medical insurance that they so badly need, and finally that joke for minimum wage will actually rise to the level that someone can live on.
I hope your not residing in France, they don't do cope well with internal issues. Young Muslim Kids who riot can send the country into a downward spiral.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I hope your not residing in France, they don't do cope well with internal issues. Young Muslim Kids who riot can send the country into a downward spiral.
This makes no sense. Stick to the subject at hand.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Quote:
Stick to the subject at hand
Seconded.
Yac.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Sorry for being blunt!

Ok folks ... I got red carded for disrespecting the U.S. President and I appollogise for it. If you look at all my other posts on immigration, I am all about respect. I say that word because I really believe it and mean it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration