U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:20 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times

Advertisements

David Huber of Chicago is a computer networking engineer who has testified to Congress about losing out on a 2002 job with the former Bank One Corp. He learned later the bank applied to hire dozens of foreign visa holders for work he said he was qualified to do.

Bailed Out Banks Sought Foreign Workers For High-Paying Jobs: AP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
David Huber of Chicago is a computer networking engineer who has testified to Congress about losing out on a 2002 job with the former Bank One Corp. He learned later the bank applied to hire dozens of foreign visa holders for work he said he was qualified to do.

Bailed Out Banks Sought Foreign Workers For High-Paying Jobs: AP
It’s rampant. Folks had better wake up. Between outsourcing, insourcing, and illegal immigration, the middle-class is being systematically decimated.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It’s rampant. Folks had better wake up. Between outsourcing, insourcing, and illegal immigration, the middle-class is being systematically decimated.
Agreed. To date, the H1B visa application process has not been suspended.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,600,249 times
Quote:
But why did you allow me to come? Is it because you are such a charitable gov't and just doing this out of the love of humanity? As pleasant a thought as that is, I am thinking otherwise, and of course it is otherwise. US gov't allows me to come because it sees me as a candidate that can contribute to the US economy by working in a high tech area.
We allowed you to come here because there was a need for us to bring you here. Now that the job market is tanking and that there's no need for you, feel free to go home. Bye bye now.

As I said earlier, as a reminder: The US is NOT obligated to provide the rest of the fookin world with a job.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
We allowed you to come here because there was a need for us to bring you here. Now that the job market is tanking and that there's no need for you, feel free to go home. Bye bye now.

As I said earlier, as a reminder: The US is NOT obligated to provide the rest of the fookin world with a job.
My Company actually 86'd all but a few Visa holders during our reorg. I was surprised.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,957,151 times
^ Sweet! Nice to know that some companies will look out for their own first.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
I am a student, but if i graduate and want to work in America, i must have a company sponsor visa.
Name the countries that have no immigration laws of any kind. What kind of country does not protect the jobs of it's citizens? The USA is actually about the worst country for allowing foreigners to move in and take jobs and lower wages.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Name the countries that have no immigration laws of any kind. What kind of country does not protect the jobs of it's citizens? The USA is actually about the worst country for allowing foreigners to move in and take jobs and lower wages.

USA has also been a global economic leader, funny how that works huh?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Sure, and in return I, like all immigrants, would be paying taxes, working hard at my job, and thus contributing to the American economy.

Remember, we are a different group of immigrants than the illegals from Mexico. We are not like sitting here and collecting welfare checks.

You make it sound like the US gov't is the salvation army and is only letting me into this country because it has a kind heart, like I am refugee here taking up resources and doing nothing.

So it's not like I am here to do nothing, otherwise the US wouldn't have (legally) let me in in the first place. And it's not like the US is doing charity for me to let me in and getting nothing in return, the US gov't lets me in because they think I can contribute to the US economy, I can contribute to the high tech productivity and grwoth of the country. It's a transaction, not a charity. Please don't confuse these 2.
I think many legal immigrants will be staying for those reasons. I think it's where there are immigrants brought in when there are plenty Americans that could do the job that there is a problem.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 AM

22 posts, read 33,968 times
Quote:
Walking on the street, two middle class looking whites walked by me and said : "Why are you Chinese taking our jobs away? Go home."

I didn't say anything and just ignored them.

Today I found out that an amendment was attached to the Stimulus Bill: "For two years, banks receiving bailout money can only hire foreigners (non citizens or greencard holders) if they have not laid off a us worker 3 months before, and cannot lay off any us worker 3 months after."

Soon, this restriction will be placed on other sectors too.

Sigh, very hard to get a job as a foreigner in the us now, protectoinist and anti-Immigrant policies.
Here is my advise stay an immigrant for as long as the status allows, because once you become an American citizen then you will understand why the middle class white couple said to you "Why are you taking our job"??? Besides how arrogant how did they know you were not an American citizen? Your job could also be outsourced or a new immigrant will take your place. "What goes around come around". I personally blame the lazy Americans and corporations for the problems we have with immigration. "Wanting a maid", "Wanting a Gardner" "Wanting a nanny" always having to keep up with the "Jones". Always having an attitude of being superior and entitled. I am an American and sorry to hear you were treated that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration