U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

10,634 posts, read 16,225,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
I am a student, but if i graduate and want to work in America, i must have a company sponsor visa.
Unfortunately - in an economic crisis, we must take care of our own citizens before citizens of other countries, especially when it comes to jobs.

Quote:
What if a non-citizen contributes more to the us economy (paying higher taxes, working in a high tech field, studying engineering/science, etc) than a citizen?
You are taking a job that an equally qualified citizen could have. Jobs are scarce here nowadays.

It's not anti-immigrant, it's common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM

101 posts, read 131,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Unfortunately - in an economic crisis, we must take care of our own citizens before citizens of other countries, especially when it comes to jobs.

It's not anti-immigrant, it's common sense.
But even going by your logic, it will hurt the US economy by doing this. There simpy aren't enough number of US graduates in Math/Science/Engineering (most US college grads choose not to study engineering but instead Law, MBA, or liberal arts etc) to fill the jobs that foreigners currently fill, probably not enough to fill even 1/3 of the jobs. So they need to fill the other 2/3 with much less qualified US workers (while the much more qualified foreign workers are available).

Result? Intel, AMD, IBM, Boeing, Microsoft, Cisco, AT&T, etc these high tech companies will suffer further as a result.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Quote:
Walking on the street, two middle class looking whites walked by me and said : "Why are you Chinese taking our jobs away? Go home."

I didn't say anything and just ignored them.

Today I found out that an amendment was attached to the Stimulus Bill: "For two years, banks receiving bailout money can only hire foreigners (non citizens or greencard holders) if they have not laid off a us worker 3 months before, and cannot lay off any us worker 3 months after."

Soon, this restriction will be placed on other sectors too.

Sigh, very hard to get a job as a foreigner in the us now, protectoinist and anti-Immigrant policies.
I’m sorry you had to experience such ignorance. I know how it feels to be considered an ‘undesirable’ for no other reason than race. I’ve been told to ‘go back to’ Africa, and I’ve never even been there.

Did you misquote the bolded section? If not, they can only hire foreigners, which would be a huge problem for most U.S. citizens.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

40 posts, read 64,772 times
Quote:
But even going by your logic, it will hurt the US economy by doing this. There simpy aren't enough number of US graduates in Math/Science/Engineering (most US college grads choose not to study engineering but instead Law, MBA, or liberal arts etc) to fill the jobs that foreigners currently fill, probably not enough to fill even 1/3 of the jobs. So they need to fill the other 2/3 with much less qualified US workers (while the much more qualified foreign workers are available).

Result? Intel, AMD, IBM, Boeing, Microsoft, Cisco, AT&T, etc these high tech companies will suffer further as a result.
Ha, ha......dream on.

Enough with this false propaganda. Microsoft just laid-off 5,000 Americans, and they did this only 10 months after "cheap-labor" traitor Bill Gates was on Capitol Hill spewing the same lies you just did.

Let's hear from people here with real-life examples. How many of us know people in IT that are struggling to find work? How many used to know those in IT that made low six figures (and could raise a family of 4 or more on it) that no longer can find well-paying positions? How many smart American kids are having trouble getting jobs out of college?

Yet, here we have someone telling us that what we know and can see with our own 2 eyes isn't true!

The H1-B visa is another scam, for lower wages for the employers, and a free pass into America for the immigrants that are willing to play this game, and lower our standards here as a result.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:

My husband is in the field, and there are plenty of American citizens jobless right now that are qualified. Unfortunately - we have to take care of our own first.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM

101 posts, read 131,190 times
Surely there are plenty of qualified Americans. I am saying, there are not enough of them to fill all of these hightech jobs. That's just common fact.

Anyway, let me also add 2 more points on this issue.

1) This will also benefit China indirectly. Because before, China is experiencing a brain-drain with their top students coming to the US pursing engineering/science and then staying in a US company. With this regulation, those top talents, after receiving the best education, will be forced to go back to China and bring their knowledge to work for Chinese companies. Many of my friends who are graduating this year are alreadying planning this. Same with India.

2) One of the reason US technology/companies are so competitive and powerful is this relatively relaxed policy of hiring foreign skilled workers. Instead of choosing only from the Best of the US, US companies get to choose from the Best of US, Best of CHina, Best of India, Best of Russia, etc (Most students who get to study in the US in the first place are the best of the best in their home country). So US companies simply has a much higher quality of pool of talents to select from, it's truly a "force multiplier". They are able to assemble the most formible concentration of professionals. But now you are letting this advantage slip away, and removing the Best of China, Best of India, Best of Russia, etc from the selection pool, and choosing only the Best of US. While letting the other talents go away and work for other countries.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM

This will not apply to all companies - only companies taking money from the bailout. I suggest you find employment with a company not effected by the bailout, or become an American citizen.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,724,213 times
Quote:
Walking on the street, two middle class looking whites walked by me and said : "Why are you Chinese taking our jobs away? Go home."

I didn't say anything and just ignored them.

Today I found out that an amendment was attached to the Stimulus Bill: "For two years, banks receiving bailout money can only hire foreigners (non citizens or greencard holders) if they have not laid off a us worker 3 months before, and cannot lay off any us worker 3 months after."

Soon, this restriction will be placed on other sectors too.

Sigh, very hard to get a job as a foreigner in the us now, protectoinist and anti-Immigrant policies.
saobi, I understand your pain. It is very discomforting when people want to solve national or international problems on the back of an individual who has done nothing wrong. However, please understand that it is not personal and the US is currently going trough very tough times.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:45 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,754,270 times
Saobi,do you think you owe anything to the USA for providing you this wonderful opportunity?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 13,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdL View Post
Ha, ha......dream on.

Enough with this false propaganda. Microsoft just laid-off 5,000 Americans, and they did this only 10 months after "cheap-labor" traitor Bill Gates was on Capitol Hill spewing the same lies you just did.

Let's hear from people here with real-life examples. How many of us know people in IT that are struggling to find work? How many used to know those in IT that made low six figures (and could raise a family of 4 or more on it) that no longer can find well-paying positions? How many smart American kids are having trouble getting jobs out of college?

Yet, here we have someone telling us that what we know and can see with our own 2 eyes isn't true!

The H1-B visa is another scam, for lower wages for the employers, and a free pass into America for the immigrants that are willing to play this game, and lower our standards here as a result.

My husband is also IT and was laid off in November. What jobs in our area that are posting and others in the surrounding states show the wages for his field have dropped drastically because the market is now saturated w/people in the IT field, whether it be new college grads or foreigners.

We have to move to Alaska to find a job for him as AK has a buttload of IT jobs advertised. He already spoke to staffing agency and they said there were alot there but we actually have to be there to have them place him so we are moving in March (we don't mind in the least. beautiful state, very cold and far from the lower 48. can't get much better than that LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration