U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
But even going by your logic, it will hurt the US economy by doing this. There simpy aren't enough number of US graduates in Math/Science/Engineering (most US college grads choose not to study engineering but instead Law, MBA, or liberal arts etc) to fill the jobs that foreigners currently fill, probably not enough to fill even 1/3 of the jobs. So they need to fill the other 2/3 with much less qualified US workers (while the much more qualified foreign workers are available).
On what basis is this statement made?

Quote:
Result? Intel, AMD, IBM, Boeing, Microsoft, Cisco, AT&T, etc these high tech companies will suffer further as a result.
That's their problem, not yours. Who says all the top talent in the world should be concentrated in the US anyhow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM

412 posts, read 813,090 times
Quote:
There seems to be many myths surrouding this issue.

Myth # 1: Foreign workers receive less wage. False. When a company submits a visa application for a foreign worker, it must demonstrate that it is paying prevaling market wage for that job, and the Dept of Labor has an agency responsible for verifying and enforcing this prevaling wage rule. Countless applications have been denied because the wage is not high enough. So those foreign workers who end up approved working for an American company are paid the market prevaling wage for the job

Myth # 2: Foreign workers take away chances from Americans. False. When a company hires a foreign worker, it, by law, must post the job ad on a national-level newspaper for 4 consecutive weeks. And any American applicants must be granted interviews, and if they are denied, there must be lenghty report to demonstrate why they were less qualified than the foreign worker the company was intending to hire. And all the documents are submitted to the Dept of Labor. Countless foreign job applications are thrown out by the Dept of Labor because they deemed the company not trying hard enough to hire Americans first.

So I don't know exactly how those 2 myths got injected into the debate. Possibly the anti-immigrant group are delibrately trying to muddle the waters.

Did you watch the video?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 PM

3,142 posts, read 7,154,567 times
OP, I don't see why your complaining. I am also a student in a high tech field, I deal with foreigners quite often and they all know its not really their place to complain on how we give preference to our own people over them. And contrary to what you said before there are very few high-profile companies in "high tech" fields who even hire non-citizens much less hire them over actual citizens. This country is a fantastic club, if you want all the benefits I suggest you try and join otherwise your gonna have to bite the bullet.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
wow, how am i supposed to take you serisouly. so you are one of those who engages in low class and 3rd world bahaviours?

you are basically saying its ok to assume that about you. you are against the generalization made, but then make the same generalization yourself.

very funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Sure, it's not very intelligent, but the brain strives to think quickly, and people naturally pick up on patterns. It DOES hurt legal Hispanic immigrants (like me) tremendously that being brown and Hispanic is associated with being a prole, and that has directly to do with the fact that the bulk of illegal immigration is Mexican, and many of those people insist on engaging in low class and third world behaviors. And a good segment of the legal Hispanic population do as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,896,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
She's not unfairly judging illegal Mexican immigrants. She hit the nail right on the head.

Saobi is exactly the kind of LEGAL immigrant the U.S. needs. We need bright educated people to immigrate here, not illiterate, uneducated, impoverished peasants who crash into this country illegally.

For what it's worth Saobi, I'm on your side.
Do you not realize that the green card H1Bs get allow them to bring their whole village over?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM

101 posts, read 130,956 times
legally yes. And I don't think it's whole village, anyone other than immediate family will be denied application. And when they come, they need to find work, pay taxes, and contribute to the American economy just like the rest.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
wow, how am i supposed to take you serisouly. so you are one of those who engages in low class and 3rd world bahaviours?

you are basically saying its ok to assume that about you. you are against the generalization made, but then make the same generalization yourself.

very funny.
blueseas123 is being a realist------------I know what he means hence my comments about White skinheads when I quoted his post.

No malicious racism involved.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM

412 posts, read 813,090 times
Quote:
But the foreigners who work in those companies pay taxes exactly like Americans, they are in no way exempt. So that bailout is funded by them too. So this logic breaks down?
You're right - existing VISA holders that lose their jobs in the US should be exempt from the hiring restriction, because they're in the same boat as the rest of us.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
well thats a sad world. i dont like generalizations or profiling.

some people are ok with that. im not. i give people the benefit of the doubt.

even having grown up in the hood.

otherwise i would hate black and brown and white and all kinds of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
blueseas123 is being a realist------------I know what he means hence my comments about White skinheads when I quoted his post.

No malicious racism involved.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM

18 posts, read 40,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
You should say, "Blame the white CEO's."

so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration