Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times

Advertisements

saobi......remember one word: Scapegoat. Those simpletons you met on the street are probably looking for someone to blame for a economic misfortune that they had.
I personally think when the chips fall bad most of the time...the majority of the human race (not just Americans) tend to blame someone or something else for there problems. And while I know that sometimes this attitude is justified, Most of the time the only the only legitimate blame that is to be found is with oneself.

Look saobi. On the street today, You were just an easy target they happen to see at the time to point the finger of blame at. Just as these new measures for the banking industry are a legal finger of blame pointed at all foreign workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm on his side as well, however I do have to say that there are MANY mexican immigrants here who are extremely hard-working. Hard-working & just looking for a good life like all of us. Most mexicans that I come across, even though they may not be completely english literate, I can tell that they are good people. Very family oriented & like I said, hard-working.
Yes, that has been my observation as well, and I have lived in mostly Hispanic neighborhoods in my life - including one that most likely had more illegal than legal immigrants. If they are so lazy and willing to take handouts, why do I see them waiting for HOURS and HOURS in front of U-Haul, just hoping to get one lousy day of work? I see the same guys there every day, rain or shine, looking desperate and willing to work. I don't have that kind of gumption, and I doubt many other natural-born Americans do either.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
I agree and appreciate what you wrote. But let me just add some comments to this specific quote.

I think you are slightly framing the issue in a wrong way. Yes, I came here to have a better life. But why did you allow me to come?
Why did the US allow you to come? Since you are a student, presumably you were allowed into the US to get an education. Many foreign students come here for programs that may not be offered in their home countries or perhaps for the experience of living in another part of the world. The mere fact that you were given a student visa to come here to study in no way implies that you should be permitted to stay.

Quote:
Is it because you are such a charitable gov't and just doing this out of the love of humanity? As pleasant a thought as that is, I am thinking otherwise, and of course it is otherwise. US gov't allows me to come because it sees me as a candidate that can contribute to the US economy by working in a high tech area.
Mon dieu. You certainly have a high opinion of yourself. If you are truly so incredibly valuable, shouldn't your home country of China be fighting tooth and nail to get you back so you can contribute to the Chinese economy by working in a high tech area?

Quote:
So you see, this is not a one-way charitable situation. This is a two-way business transaction. You have something I need and I have something you need, so we make a deal. So this talk of "loyalty" is not applicable, no one owes anything here. Sure I enjoy the US as a country very much, and I think generally the people here are friendly. And I have always been a law abiding resident and I pay my $500 per semester fee to the Dept of Homeland Security to fund their surveillance resources so they can in turn keep an eye on me, but I have no complaint about that either.

But to frame this issue as if I owe the US gov't something, as if I am on the receiving end of a charity event, is really not right.

Don't you agree?
I don't think you owe the US anything. The deal was that you come here to study. Once your studies are completed, then the transaction is over.

Last edited by andreabeth; 02-09-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
Quote:
.....Myth # 2: Foreign workers take away chances from Americans. False. When a company hires a foreign worker, it, by law, must post the job ad on a national-level newspaper for 4 consecutive weeks. And any American applicants must be granted interviews, and if they are denied, there must be lenghty report to demonstrate why they were less qualified than the foreign worker the company was intending to hire. And all the documents are submitted to the Dept of Labor. Countless foreign job applications are thrown out by the Dept of Labor because they deemed the company not trying hard enough to hire Americans first.

So I don't know exactly how those 2 myths got injected into the debate. Possibly the anti-immigrant group are delibrately trying to muddle the waters.
I guess you didn't actually watch the video to see how the companies get around this requirement. You ought to look at it, it's a short one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFE...topicseen.html

Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that has been my observation as well, and I have lived in mostly Hispanic neighborhoods in my life - including one that most likely had more illegal than legal immigrants. If they are so lazy and willing to take handouts, why do I see them waiting for HOURS and HOURS in front of U-Haul, just hoping to get one lousy day of work? I see the same guys there every day, rain or shine, looking desperate and willing to work. I don't have that kind of gumption, and I doubt many other natural-born Americans do either.
Never underestimate American culture------------Tojo and Hitler both made that fatal mistake not so long ago.

We may a quarrelsome bunch of bastards when at peace: but; once threatened---------we tend to 'close ranks' and I pity the fools who enraged us.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
^ Amen, pass the collection plate, and +1 Arizona.

OP, Im sorry you experienced that bit of rudeness. In case it happens again, remember this favorite, on-the-fly phrase to use on rude people and idiots in general..

"Bite me."

Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,379 times
Quote:
Myth # 1: Foreign workers receive less wage. False.
Myth # 2: Foreign workers take away chances from Americans. False.
Sorry, I came from a hi-tech background, and you are spreading lies.

I saw when foreign workers began replacing American workers in hi-tech during Clinton era with visas issued by a Republican Congress under the ruse of "we don't have enough qualified workers". I had read those Congressional visa bills, because they were writing on the wall to create a slave-class of worker in America. It is done. And I've heard these same false arguments in Congress recently. It's not over. Not only were they brought in at lower wages than America workers, but the industries doing this often had no intention of keeping the jobs in America once the foreign workers knew enough to transplant the business overseas. When Bush took office, the floodgates opened.

If we had the same gutting of jobs happen in law and politics in America as we did in other industries, such as hi-tech, it would've stopped overnight. Not only has the wage base of Americans in industries such as hi-tech been slashed, but for every hi-tech job out there, there's 500 unemployed Americans applying for it. We listened to the propagandists sing, "free market" as we watched the ship sink.

"Protectionist", is a propaganda phrase. What are you selling?

Where you hit the nail squarely on the head, is Americans are not pursuing certain fields of education now . . why? Because the incentive for an American to pursue it in this country has been killed. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know some careers in this country have a sure employment outlook of being insourced or outsourced.

Justify suicide. The only sane voice I've heard above the greed was about six years ago, where someone in our Federal Government realized in the foreseeable future, our national security systems (hardware and software) would be manufactured and maintained by another country.

Justify suicide, and that explains law and policy allowing this gutting of our infrastructure to happen. So I'll say this as politely as possible, take that "protectionist" smear and stick it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,529 times
If only we could have kept the immigration quotas that were abolished in 1965.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM

335 posts, read 423,893 times
It's a myth that there is a shortage of qualified workers in America.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
legally yes. And I don't think it's whole village, anyone other than immediate family will be denied application. And when they come, they need to find work, pay taxes, and contribute to the American economy just like the rest.
I've seen reports of thousands of undocumented, illegal workers from Asia who come on tourist visas and stay. All is takes is one on a real visa. Times are changing, those days are numbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration