U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,128,197 times

Advertisements

If they send home one. Then they have to send them all home.

Someone here because of political asylum entered the USA legally. If it was temporary, that's what temporary means. But they should make them low priority and step up the deportation of all illegals immediately, then get the ones who overstayed the terms of their asylum.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,496,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm very well educated, thank you.
Why is it folly? I would say it was WORSE back then because we didn't have an international media that could bring attention to conflicts and raise money and weapons for groups.
It's not folly. Stay and fight for your freedom and your country, don't run away and then complain.
The international media? What are they doing with Sudanese troops massing up and preparing to annihilate a town of 50,000 Darfurians? Or are the international media reporting that? What good did the international media do when hundreds of thousands of Rwandans were butchered? What does the international media do when the Chinese militarily surpress free expression?

Americans could fight knowing that the next batch of British reinforcements were always a month's distance across the Atlantic. Today, oppressive governments have police and military in every province. They have become more centralized, they have massed up stocks of more advanced weapons than a Partisan could ever hope to get his hands on, they have developed systematic methods for demoralizing and routing out dissidents, etc. It's not as if people living in such conditions can just take to the streets and uproot a military dictatorship, they would be decimated, and no one would lift a finger unless it was convenient for them.

And to make it even more complicated, sometimes the rebels become just as bad as the governments themselves. Case in point, the rebels under Nkunda in the DRC, the Union of Islamic courts in Somalia(not to mention the numerous factions of warlords that oppress the people unchecked), the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda...etc.

You are making it out to be a much simpler scenario than it is in most cases.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The international media? What are they doing with Sudanese troops massing up and preparing to annihilate a town of 50,000 Darfurians? Or are the international media reporting that? What good did the international media do when hundreds of thousands of Rwandans were butchered? What does the international media do when the Chinese militarily surpress free expression?

Americans could fight knowing that the next batch of British reinforcements were always a month's distance across the Atlantic. Today, oppressive governments have police and military in every province. They have become more centralized, they have massed up stocks of more advanced weapons than a Partisan could ever hope to get his hands on, they have developed systematic methods for demoralizing and routing out dissidents, etc. It's not as if people living in such conditions can just take to the streets and uproot a military dictatorship, they would be decimated, and no one would lift a finger unless it was convenient for them.

And to make it even more complicated, sometimes the rebels become just as bad as the governments themselves. Case in point, the rebels under Nkunda in the DRC, the Union of Islamic courts in Somalia(not to mention the numerous factions of warlords that oppress the people unchecked), the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda...etc.

I don't disagree that there are depots and dictators all over the world. History is full of them. I do think that until people stand up and fight, like Lech Walesa, Emiliano Zapata, Spartacus, Trotsky, Tutu, those are just a few individuals who fought tyrants and won (even if you don't agree with their policies afterward...) I disagree with the idea that the US has to be the world's benefactor, especially when we have so many problems and victims right here at home.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM

281 posts, read 384,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't disagree that there are depots and dictators all over the world. History is full of them. I do think that until people stand up and fight, like Lech Walesa, Emiliano Zapata, Spartacus, Trotsky, Tutu, those are just a few individuals who fought tyrants and won (even if you don't agree with their policies afterward...) I disagree with the idea that the US has to be the world's benefactor, especially when we have so many problems and victims right here at home.
It's pretty easy to say these things from the comfort of your room, behind your computer, without the imminent danger of rebels coming into your home to kill you and your family, isn't it?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
It's pretty easy to say these things from the comfort of your room, behind your computer, without the imminent danger of rebels coming into your home to kill you and your family, isn't it?
Your point being?

Maybe some of the other nations in the world need to step up to the plate with soldiers, etc. and deal with Darfar, etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

As per my reply to Ripley6174: let some of the other nations pick up the slack.

Soon: if/when Mexico implodes; the world will be expecting the USA to step in and said other nations will still screech when we start kicking ass. Damn if we do and damn if we don't.

Hypocritical countries.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,412,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
They were. It was temporary, which means their time is up. I can't imagine having temporary status in a country and deliberately bringing children into my instability. While I feel bad for the children, if they are angry, at the end of the day, they like the DREAMies have only their parents to blame.

The laws are in place for a reason. Until these people stop assuming that having babies on American soil will give them a free pass to citizenship, then they and their children will continue to suffer the consequences of their irresponsible, devious, and selfish behavior.
I dont believe that having children in this case is irresponsible, devious and selfish behavior. When you have experienced traumatic events in your life such as a war, most people just want to move on with their lives. Who is going to think about placing a hold on their lives for 17 years? Especially when you dont know what the future holds. We can relate that with post 9/11 when there was an increase in marriages throughout the country.

In 2006, in the U.S., the poverty rate among whites was 8%, 24% for blacks, 10% for Asians and 20% for Hispanics. Should we have told them to not have any children? No, we dont know their circumstances. It could have been a loss of a job, death of a parent, etc. Instability could happen at any time during one's life span.

I hope Obama will give them an extention with the opportunity to permanent residency, considering they were here legally and paid taxes. I would hate to see these families separated.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,794,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I dont believe that having children in this case is irresponsible, devious and selfish behavior. When you have experienced traumatic events in your life such as a war, most people just want to move on with their lives. Who is going to think about placing a hold on their lives for 17 years? Especially when you dont know what the future holds. We can relate that with post 9/11 when there was an increase in marriages throughout the country.

In 2006, in the U.S., the poverty rate among whites was 8%, 24% for blacks, 10% for Asians and 20% for Hispanics. Should we have told them to not have any children? No, we dont know their circumstances. It could have been a loss of a job, death of a parent, etc. Instability could happen at any time during one's life span.

I hope Obama will give them an extention with the opportunity to permanent residency, considering they were here legally and paid taxes. I would hate to see these families separated.
Great post!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
If the US were under attack...and it very well could come to that....I wouldn't sneak into Canada. I'd take my guns and bullets and fight.

Would you? Or would you be hiding in Canada watching your country be plundered?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Liberia is now a peaceful Country. They should return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration