U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,909,669 times

Advertisements

AUSTIN -- Texas officials are working on a plan to respond to a potential collapse of the Mexican government and the specter of thousands fleeing north in fear for their lives after recent reports indicated the country could be on the verge of chaos.

"You hope for the best, plan for the worst," Katherine Cesinger, spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry, said last week. "At this point, we've got a contingency plan that's in development."

Texas crafts plan for Mexico collapse - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
AUSTIN -- Texas officials are working on a plan to respond to a potential collapse of the Mexican government and the specter of thousands fleeing north in fear for their lives after recent reports indicated the country could be on the verge of chaos.

"You hope for the best, plan for the worst," Katherine Cesinger, spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry, said last week. "At this point, we've got a contingency plan that's in development."

WOW: JUST WOW.

Anybody remember my commenting many times in the past here on City Data that we better be ready to care for many injured/frightened refugees? Note I am referring to Mexican nationals who would never dream of crossing illegally 'for a better life' here (unless fleeing for their lives).

Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 PM

20,352 posts, read 37,885,022 times
I suspect we'd see not thousands, but hundreds of thousands of hungry, terror stricken, totally innocent Mexican citizens crashing the border to get away from the murderous anarchy that seems to be growing in Mexico by the month. In such a throng, the dregs of society will also tag along, including drug smugglers and other criminals. I hope TX readies itself, and AZ, NV, NM and CA too. We're going to need our National Guard back here from Iraq for this.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 18,872,382 times
George Bush's right wing friend is doing an excellent job in Mexico

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 PM

608 posts, read 882,026 times
Quote:
Developing a contingency plan to deal with a potential Mexican downfall makes sense, he said.

"Better to investigate, examine and plan now, rather than make ad hoc decisions later," Shapleigh said.
This is only contingency planning. I think we have learned quite a bit in recent years post Katrina, Rita and Ike that having a plan in place avoids chaos. Besides they are talking about dealing with high numbers of refugees not illegal immigrants. They are planning for the time when at some point they no longer consider all border crossings as illegal.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,829,832 times
I don't believe they really fear a collapse. I think this is just their new approach of giving amnesty but we'll call it political asylum, government benefits -- but we'll them refugee assistance.

Right now it's extremely easy for the criminals who are supposedly destabilizing Mexico to cross the border as they please. They've been given control over the border. Many of the cartels have their operations on both sides of the border and our government hasn't minded about that yet.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 PM

394 posts, read 897,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

OH THAT'S JUST GREAT THANKS FOR MAKIN MY DAY JDMOM

Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,902,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't believe they really fear a collapse. I think this is just their new approach of giving amnesty but we'll call it political asylum, government benefits -- but we'll them refugee assistance.

Right now it's extremely easy for the criminals who are supposedly destabilizing Mexico to cross the border as they please. They've been given control over the border. Many of the cartels have their operations on both sides of the border and our government hasn't minded about that yet.
Not to mention drug operations extend beyond Mexican drug cartels.
I don't see it as Mexican drug cartels "infiltrating" the US and "bringing their operations over here", as much as gaining power over a drug trade that's already been in place forever.

The Mexican drug cartels aren't just Mexico's problem. It's a US-Mexico problem. It's just that the drug wars have mostly been affecting Mexicans rather than the U.S. up to this point. It's one big network. People have been getting killed over the drug trade for decades, but if some of the people involved are Mexican nationals, it makes it different? Mexican drug dealers killing American drug dealers is still drug dealers killing drug dealers.

Fact is, most of their income comes from the United States. Hopefully, fears of this affecting Americans will convince us to stop seeing it as "Mexico's problem".

Like I've said before, a good way to hit back at the cartels is to start inspecting what's going out of the United States as much as we're inspecting what's coming in.

Let's try to stop all that American money getting sneaked into Mexico that's enabling the cartels to stay rich and bribe off officials, and let's try to stop all that heavy American firepower being snuck across the border that is giving these thugs a chance to hold their own against Mexican military and police.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,909,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
OH THAT'S JUST GREAT THANKS FOR MAKIN MY DAY JDMOM
I'm sorry Scooter

Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,111,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I suspect we'd see not thousands, but hundreds of thousands of hungry, terror stricken, totally innocent Mexican citizens crashing the border to get away from the murderous anarchy that seems to be growing in Mexico by the month. In such a throng, the dregs of society will also tag along, including drug smugglers and other criminals. I hope TX readies itself, and AZ, NV, NM and CA too. We're going to need our National Guard back here from Iraq for this.

I wonder just how much of this "plan" relies on National Guard resources?

And the ugly truth is that the violence in Mexico is almost surely lots worse than is being reported. Only the most spectacular or upsetting incidents are being reported in the media. I suspect that there are at least again as many deaths and kidnappings going unreported. Mexico is in a very precarious situation. The collapse of its government is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or