U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
OK so they walked away. Maybe they don't want trouble. I think the big question is why didn't the protesters start working and laying bricks? If it is about jobs, and the protesters either want jobs or know people that need jobs... why didn't they offer to do the work? At the end of the day what did this accomplish? Now city has a delayed project at the expense of tax payers with nothing proved for either cause.
Gee, I can't imagine....just walk into a jobsite and start working? Never THOUGHT of that! How can there be anyone unemployed? We just walk in...anywhere....roll up our sleeves and go to work. They'll HAVE to pay us...right?

Sure cuts down on those pesky interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
OK so they walked away. Maybe they don't want trouble. I think the big question is why didn't the protesters start working and laying bricks? If it is about jobs, and the protesters either want jobs or know people that need jobs... why didn't they offer to do the work? At the end of the day what did this accomplish? Now city has a delayed project at the expense of tax payers with nothing proved for either cause.
Well gee, if you can oust the scab labor the wages will go up to the point AMERICANS can live off the wage.
Job done.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Gee, I can't imagine....just walk into a jobsite and start working? Never THOUGHT of that! How can there be anyone unemployed? We just walk in...anywhere....roll up our sleeves and go to work. They'll HAVE to pay us...right?

Sure cuts down on those pesky interviews.
I wonder if this theory would hold true for white collar jobs as well? Maybe just sit down in a random cubicle, surf the net and the next thing you know bam! You have full benefits and a company car

Hey -- it worked for michael j fox in a movie once....

Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
subcontracting "a verb" - meaning any action intended to evade the country's immigration laws and hire illegal aliens usually mexican people to do the work at low pay without any benefits thus saving millions in costs to the employer.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I wonder if this theory would hold true for white collar jobs as well? Maybe just sit down in a random cubicle, surf the net and the next thing you know bam! You have full benefits and a company car

Hey -- it worked for michael j fox in a movie once....
I wouldn't mind being a brain surgeon. Well, at least I wouldn't mind the pay. That settles it. I'm going to the Washington Hospital Center tomorrow, walk into a brain surgeonís office, and start collecting my brain surgeon salary. Had I realized it was that easy, I would have done it at least 10 years earlier.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I wouldn't mind being a brain surgeon. Well, at least I wouldn't mind the pay. That settles it. I'm going to the Washington Hospital Center tomorrow, walk into a brain surgeonís office, and start collecting my brain surgeon salary. Had I realized it was that easy, I would have done it at least 10 years earlier.
Yeah I know! Why bother going to school -- dear god, that requires filling out forms and paying tuition that I may not be able to afford
Much better to just show up and demand my salary as secretary of state....I've heard Americans just don't want to do that kind of work anymore

Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Well, Social Services are that easy.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 PM

608 posts, read 880,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yeah I know! Why bother going to school -- dear god, that requires filling out forms and paying tuition that I may not be able to afford
Much better to just show up and demand my salary as secretary of state....I've heard Americans just don't want to do that kind of work anymore
Yeah I guess I deserved that. What was I thinking. Jobs now available for protesters. Of course we all assume the brick layers were illegal and the protesters want jobs. Many assumptions no solutions.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah I guess I deserved that. What was I thinking. Jobs now available for protesters. Of course we all assume the brick layers were illegal and the protesters want jobs. Many assumptions no solutions.
Assumptions? Perhaps....but it isn't as if the use of illegal labor in construction is rare. Believe me, those who make their livings in construction are very aware of what companies hire exclusivily or heavily from the illegal labor pool. Perhaps not too surprisingly they don't like it.
Let's not pretend that construction companies/roofing crews/drywallers/painters/landscapers et al do not hire illegals. I suppose you think it is an urban myth that illegals tend to hang out at Home Depot waiting to be picked up?
Now, solutions.....if I were Grand Poobah of the universe the first thing I would do is heavily fine companies and individuals that knowingly hire illegals -- if they continue the practice the fines go up with eventual seizure of the company's assets and jail time for the owner.
Secondly I would deport every illegal I could find. For all cities that proudly proclaim themselves 'sanctuary cities' I would freeze up all federal monies previously going to that city until said city starts to follow the law. I would make it illegal to rent to an illegal, as well as for hospitals who do not immediately contact ICE when treating a suspected illegal. Any illegal found to be serving time will be dumped off at the airport of whatever country they are from. As for anchors...if under the age 18 they can go home with their parents. Once they are of age, they are more then welcome to come back to the US -- but never their parents.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,866,907 times
Well, if the bricks they're using are from Mexico, too, they'll get what they deserve. Those things crumble!

Low-Quality Mexican Brick Showing Up in North Texas; Brick Failures Spur Builders to Repair Homes; Hundreds at Risk

Quote:
With the onset of winter and the multiple freeze/thaw cycles in North Texas, some homeowners may get an unwelcome surprise: their houses - built with defective Mexican brick -- might literally fall apart around them.

Hundreds of homes in the North Texas area - estimates range from 400 to 600 -- have already, or may experience brick failure this year as a result of poor-quality imported Mexican brick in some tract developments and on some custom homes over the past few years, according to the Brick Industry Association - Southwest.

Last edited by teatime; 02-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration