U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Yeah I guess I deserved that. What was I thinking. Jobs now available for protesters. Of course we all assume the brick layers were illegal and the protesters want jobs. Many assumptions no solutions.
The oldest lame card.

How do you know they are Illegal Aliens?

We can assume there are 20 million of them. We can assume that since they are in a parking lot standing around looking for work and don't speak any English, they are more than likely here illegally.

Illegals know how to get WIC, that the Police can't shake them down for any reason, how to obtain wages without paying taxes, how to send money back as remittances, how to milk the education system for their kids. The list goes on. Are we to also assume they are too stupid to know when there might be a risk of deportation?
I think they know when to move on and when to stick around. We readers are also not that stupid.

With your logic we can also assume you are either related to them or employ them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,062 posts, read 15,866,907 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Gee, I can't imagine....just walk into a jobsite and start working? Never THOUGHT of that! How can there be anyone unemployed? We just walk in...anywhere....roll up our sleeves and go to work. They'll HAVE to pay us...right?

Sure cuts down on those pesky interviews.
So, which one of us is going to the White House to claim Obama's job?! We can just walk in and take it, right? I think my first order of business will be a state visit to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
So, which one of us is going to the White House to claim Obama's job?! We can just walk in and take it, right? I think my first order of business will be a state visit to Europe.
ROFLMAO (and I agree with your point as well).

Speaking for just myself: I sure as hell would not want Obama's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,062 posts, read 15,866,907 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
ROFLMAO (and I agree with your point as well).

Speaking for just myself: I sure as hell would not want Obama's job.
Aw, sure you would, the way he does it! You delegate your work to other people and then sign whatever they come up with, set up rallies in other parts of the country where people will clap and cheer for you, lend your image to coins, plates and all sorts of crap that's selling for $14.99 at Walgreen's (and collect the royalties), and live in a big, nice house with a full staff, ride in a special limo, and fly in beautifully appointed aircraft!

The only downside I can think of is having to hang out with Michelle and get hen-pecked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,726,751 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You automatically assume these workers are illegal because they look hispanic?
how does one look hispanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM
 
67 posts, read 85,281 times
Reputation: 28
Ill take another shot of "hope" and my friend here will have a shot of your best "change". Thank you President Hopey McChange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
 
23,700 posts, read 16,017,396 times
Reputation: 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You automatically assume these workers are illegal because they look hispanic?
The workers are most likely illegal. Here in the boroughs of NYC, the same thing is happening. I called the building department a few months ago when I saw three guys lifting themselves on a scaffold to do some repairs on a building next to mine. It was right outside my kitychen window and I did not want to witness anyone falling off and getting splattered. I went to the superintendent and asked if they had a permit for the work and lo and behold they guys never returned to do the job and the scaffolding was promptly removed. It did not take rocket scince to realize that these workers were illegal and the owner of the building was willing to have the work done on the cheap and risk the safety of another human being. This stuff is rampant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
 
608 posts, read 880,943 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With your logic we can also assume you are either related to them or employ them.
Assumptions continue. You are so wrong. Read my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
 
608 posts, read 880,943 times
Reputation: 64
I can't tell who is legal or not just by looking at them so I make no judgments. End of this part of the discussion.

I absolutely agree with many of your solutions especially the company fines and increased fines for repeat offenders. The problem I have is that this country is not consistent in enforcing these laws. The degree of enforcement seems to only appeal to constituents. Then again, without appropriate border (ALL Borders!) control the dog runs in circles and chases his tail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I can't tell who is legal or not just by looking at them so I make no judgments. End of this part of the discussion.

I absolutely agree with many of your solutions especially the company fines and increased fines for repeat offenders. The problem I have is that this country is not consistent in enforcing these laws. The degree of enforcement seems to only appeal to constituents. Then again, without appropriate border (ALL Borders!) control the dog runs in circles and chases his tail.
Absolutely, and to solve the riddle of spotty immigration enforcement one only has to follow the money. Who is profitting by the presence of illegal immigrants? Who profits by having town mayors look the other way in the hopes of keeping a large packing house or factory?
Our own government is against us from the smallest town mayor to the potus himself. We have been sold out for cash, and the immigrants themselves have been sold out as indentured servants.

Still, that doesn't excuse the illegality of the immigrants themselves. They are not stupid, and they know full well that they are breaking immigration law, and the laws of the US when they drive without a liscense, without insurance and when they buy stolen ssns. True immigration reform will mean securing both borders and business liability but most importantly we need to demand accountability from our government - both local and federal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top