U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,774,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Assumptions? Perhaps....but it isn't as if the use of illegal labor in construction is rare. Believe me, those who make their livings in construction are very aware of what companies hire exclusivily or heavily from the illegal labor pool. Perhaps not too surprisingly they don't like it.
Let's not pretend that construction companies/roofing crews/drywallers/painters/landscapers et al do not hire illegals. I suppose you think it is an urban myth that illegals tend to hang out at Home Depot waiting to be picked up?
Now, solutions.....if I were Grand Poobah of the universe the first thing I would do is heavily fine companies and individuals that knowingly hire illegals -- if they continue the practice the fines go up with eventual seizure of the company's assets and jail time for the owner.
Secondly I would deport every illegal I could find. For all cities that proudly proclaim themselves 'sanctuary cities' I would freeze up all federal monies previously going to that city until said city starts to follow the law. I would make it illegal to rent to an illegal, as well as for hospitals who do not immediately contact ICE when treating a suspected illegal. Any illegal found to be serving time will be dumped off at the airport of whatever country they are from. As for anchors...if under the age 18 they can go home with their parents. Once they are of age, they are more then welcome to come back to the US -- but never their parents.
I like the way you think. Who do I write (or call) to make you " Grand Poobah of the Universe"?? The first two cities should be LA and Pheonix. Don't think thats going to happen anytime soon though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I like the way you think. Who do I write (or call) to make you " Grand Poobah of the Universe"?? The first two cities should be LA and Pheonix. Don't think thats going to happen anytime soon though.
I've been wondering who to contact about that myself

Thanks for the compliment

Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Absolutely, and to solve the riddle of spotty immigration enforcement one only has to follow the money. Who is profitting by the presence of illegal immigrants? Who profits by having town mayors look the other way in the hopes of keeping a large packing house or factory?
Our own government is against us from the smallest town mayor to the potus himself. We have been sold out for cash, and the immigrants themselves have been sold out as indentured servants.

Still, that doesn't excuse the illegality of the immigrants themselves. They are not stupid, and they know full well that they are breaking immigration law, and the laws of the US when they drive without a liscense, without insurance and when they buy stolen ssns. True immigration reform will mean securing both borders and business liability but most importantly we need to demand accountability from our government - both local and federal.
That’s it in a nutshell. We are ALL being used. Illegal employers could only profit more from actual slave labor; and we are the unwitting and unwilling benefactors. While we are footing the bill for all of their wonderful freebies, the corporate elite ‘masters’ are laughing all the way to the bank. They benefit from the cheap labor, and manage to get the taxpayers to subsidize their illegal enterprise. Who knows how much money in the stimulus package has been earmarked for “immigration” issues. Yes, follow the money.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
The illegals are fleeing Phx in droves; trust me

Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 PM

608 posts, read 881,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s it in a nutshell. We are ALL being used. Illegal employers could only profit more from actual slave labor; and we are the unwitting and unwilling benefactors. While we are footing the bill for all of their wonderful freebies, the corporate elite ‘masters’ are laughing all the way to the bank. They benefit from the cheap labor, and manage to get the taxpayers to subsidize their illegal enterprise. Who knows how much money in the stimulus package has been earmarked for “immigration” issues. Yes, follow the money.

This is precisely why we should allow and encourage illegal immigrant laborers to file complains against these unscrupulous companies for unsafe working conditions, not paying workers, and general worker abuse. I know many poo poo giving illegal immigrants rights but imagine if they do the policing for our government who (as we know) cannot keep up and police all businesses and companies. Eventually many (I know not all) businesses will begin to think twice for not only hiring illegals but also providing the fuel to the fire that encourages depressed wages and lower work standards.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 AM

8,062 posts, read 15,868,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
This is precisely why we should allow and encourage illegal immigrant laborers to file complains against these unscrupulous companies for unsafe working conditions, not paying workers, and general worker abuse. I know many poo poo giving illegal immigrants rights but imagine if they do the policing for our government who (as we know) cannot keep up and police all businesses and companies. Eventually many (I know not all) businesses will begin to think twice for not only hiring illegals but also providing the fuel to the fire that encourages depressed wages and lower work standards.
That's unrealistic. Why? Because the illegals would NEVER cooperate with law enforcement. Their experiences with law enforcement in their own countries center around corruption and abuse so they don't trust the authorities. Plus, they would NOT jeopardize their jobs by being informants. I'll bet La Raza and the gang would have a fit and SUE the government if it even tried to turn the illegals into tools.

The answer is simple. We need to enforce our immigration laws. Period. On a local and personal level, folks need to hire contractors who don't hire illegal immigrants.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The whole point of using illegal labor from the standpoint of businesses is cheap labor. Period. They do not give a damn that they are 'helping hard working people support their family'. They are not attempting to enrich american culture with the fresh blood of immigrants. They are out to use them, period. When they are unable to get around/buy off law enforcement then they will boot the illegals and go back to hiring legal citizens.
This does not benefit the illegal at all. They are content making crap wages because compared to what they had been making at home it is good money. They will never self police because that is akin to asking them to self deport.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
The whole point of using illegal labor from the standpoint of businesses is cheap labor. Period. They do not give a damn that they are 'helping hard working people support their family'. They are not attempting to enrich american culture with the fresh blood of immigrants. They are out to use them, period. When they are unable to get around/buy off law enforcement then they will boot the illegals and go back to hiring legal citizens.
This does not benefit the illegal at all. They are content making crap wages because compared to what they had been making at home it is good money. They will never self police because that is akin to asking them to self deport.

And sometimes you have to look past or ignore all the noise to see the source. Deal with the root cause and the rest will come.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
And sometimes you have to look past or ignore all the noise to see the source. Deal with the root cause and the rest will come.
So, if an illegal tips off police that a company is hiring illegals and paying them a subrate -- then what? The police and/or ICE should sweep in, fine the business and force the business to up wages but not look into the status of the workers?
No, that is unworkable. For businesses to be found out, it will behoove the american workers (usually those are left in supervisory positions) to tip off ICE. The illegal workers have no reason to do so, and ICE should not ignore their presence.

Now, if you want to talk about illegals calling the police on gangbangers and other violent criminals in their midst, we would have a different discussion.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
So, if an illegal tips off police that a company is hiring illegals and paying them a subrate -- then what? The police and/or ICE should sweep in, fine the business and force the business to up wages but not look into the status of the workers?
No, that is unworkable. For businesses to be found out, it will behoove the american workers (usually those are left in supervisory positions) to tip off ICE. The illegal workers have no reason to do so, and ICE should not ignore their presence.

Now, if you want to talk about illegals calling the police on gangbangers and other violent criminals in their midst, we would have a different discussion.
No you misunderstood. Encourage illegal workers to report abuse, unsafe working conditions and non-payment for work performed. The rest will come naturally as businesses begin to think twice about hiring illegals in order to abuse in the areas I mentioned. Only a fool would think someone would self report. But if you enable them to report abuses without fear it would actually work to benefit all workers legal and illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration