Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That doesn't apply to everyone, but it apparently applies to the Founder and sitting board member of all these anti-immigrant groups.
It doesn't apply to everyone? You mean some people opposed to illegal immigration AREN'T racists or bigots? THANKS !!! from BOTH of us !!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
John Tanton is not just some retired eye doctor in michigan, that guy is a well documented racist and bigot. It's not surprising that CIS didn't say anything else about their founder John Tanton.

John Tanton Exposed - Like a Cheap, Dirty Flasher | The Pink Flamingo

I am sure you so called "anti-illegals" will ignore all of this.
If this makes the information more agreeable for you -- we've had this information before, only the source was the hispanic lawyers assoc? Or some such group....does anyone remember or have that link?

Anyways, what they were trying to do was to make it 'illegal' for the use of the words 'illegal alien' or 'illegal immigrant' in courtroom procedings. I believe they didn't like the term 'undocumented worker' either.....

Out of curiosity - do you agree with pro illegal immigration organizations that want to sanitize language to make the crime of illegal residency into something more palatable? Would it make a difference if it were a group that determined the word 'rapist' sent a bad message and those individuals should instead be known as 'sexually aggressive' to avoid 'labeling'? Maybe my brother ought to be known as a 'person with an alternative and less legal means of support' instead of a dealer?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Maybe my brother ought to be known as a 'person with an alternative and less legal means of support' instead of a dealer?
Sounds a LITTLE like my former son in law. Fourteen years ago, he "opted to no longer continue in the parental role" and departed his family. That's how I came to have three adopted kids (my biological grandkids...now 15, 16. and 17). Their parents just 'weren't really ready to get into the parenting thing' at the time.

I can understand that..unfortunately, a 1, 2, and 3 year old can't.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Your point is? Have they ever been charged with employing illegal immigrants? How exactly do they profit..please enlighten me.
They profit the same way as La Raza, Maldef, Lulac, CASA, ACLU, and other pro-illegal organizations -- through MY tax dollars, under the guise of "immigrant" advocacy. But then, you already know that.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
That doesn't apply to everyone, but it apparently applies to the Founder and sitting board member of all these anti-immigrant groups.
So now ALL of these anti-immigrant groups are racists? Would you care to specify?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They profit the same way as La Raza, Maldef, Lulac, CASA, ACLU, and other pro-illegal organizations -- through MY tax dollars, under the guise of "immigrant" advocacy. But then, you already know that.
The SPLC doesn't not advocate policy in any way. It's typical, make accusations without having anything to back it up.

Quote:
Based in Montgomery, Alabama, the SPLC was founded in 1971 by attorneys Morris Dees and Joseph J. Levin Jr. along with Civil Rights leader julian bond. Dees graduated from the University of Alabama Law School in 1960 and started a private law practice in the state's capitol city Montgomery. In 1967 Dees began to gain notoriety for being willing to handle unpopular civil rights cases. Levin, who had returned home from army service to join his father's law practice, indicated his interest in the type of cases Dees was handling. The two attorneys started a law practice that specialized in civil rights cases. Their practice eventually developed into the Southern Poverty Law Center. Levin functioned as legal director of the Center from 1971 to 1976. During that period Levin worked on more than 50 significant civil rights cases. Levin left the center in 1976 but continued his involvement with the Center serving as president and board chair. In 1996 Levin returned to Montgomery to become the center's chief executive officer. Julian Bond, a civil rights activist who co-founded the student nonviolent coordinating committee (SNCC) in 1960 and later served four terms on the board of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), became the first president of the center. In 2003 he continued to serve as president emeritus.
The center has specialized in class action lawsuits that challenge Segregation in numerous spheres.
Southern Poverty Law Center legal definition of Southern Poverty Law Center. Southern Poverty Law Center synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
So now ALL of these anti-immigrant groups are racists? Would you care to specify?
At least all the ones he founded. numbersusa, CIS, and Fair. There are a whole lot more out there, but i'll just stick with Tanton's creations.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The SPLC doesn't not advocate policy in any way. It's typical, make accusations without having anything to back it up.

Southern Poverty Law Center legal definition of Southern Poverty Law Center. Southern Poverty Law Center synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
I’m not sure what your idea of an “advocacy” organization is, but the SPLC is certainly one. If you believe they do not receive funds from organizations such as La Raza, you are either naive or dishonest. It’s no mystery why La Raza, et al. are not mentioned on the SPLC list of “hate” organizations.

SPLCenter.org: About the Southern Poverty Law Center

Quote:
In 1996, USA Today called SPLC, with its $68 million in assets, "the nation's richest civil rights organization." By the end of fiscal year 2003, SPLC's endowment totaled $120.6 million. Morris Dees raised eyebrows in the 1990s when he told an interviewer, "I learned everything I know about hustling from the Baptist Church. Spending Sundays on those hard benches listening to the preacher pitch salvation -- why, it was like getting a Ph.D. in selling."

A 1998 survey conducted by the nonpartisan publication National Journal showed that Morris Dees earned tens of thousands of dollars more each year than the officers of 78 other selected advocacy groups, including the heads of such prominent organizations as the ACLU, the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, and the Children's Defense Fund. After SPLC took in more than $44 million in revenues in 1999, The Nation magazine lambasted the Center for spending nearly $6 million on fundraising activities but only $2.4 million on litigation.
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/g...asp?grpid=6989

Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
I’m not sure what your idea of an “advocacy” organization is, but the SPLC is certainly one. If you believe they do not receive funds from organizations such as La Raza, you are either naive or dishonest. It’s no mystery why La Raza, et al. are not mentioned on the SPLC list of “hate” organizations.

MEChA should be mentioned on SPLC's roster of hate groups.

MEChA=KKK (and I may have just offended the Klan)

Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

They do not support or promote any type of immigration policy. It seems the only problem you have with the SPLC is that they are rich.

Btw, are you okay with the fact that all the 3 major anti-immigrant organizations were founded by a Racist who still sits on their board of directors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration