Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why do you consider this great news? I have the same concerns as the veterans. I believe we are inviting enemy infiltration, and who knows what else. Why don’t they just hire mercenaries? At least we will know they are in it for the money, and there will be no allegiance.
It COULD happen. Google the 'San Patricios' some time. A batallion of Catholics, the majority of whom were Irish immigrants, who were inducted into the American Military during the US-Mexico war of 1846-48. So 'fed up' did they become under their abusive Anglo Protestant officers, they defected to the Mexican side (a few at a time, OR in large groups) where they fought bravely among their fellow Catholics.

Most were caught by the US after the war, and about half were executed. Today the 'San Patricios' are honored throughout Mexico, and there's a large monument to them in Mexico City.

Ireland now has begun a yearly commemoration, too, in honor of these folks.

So much for 'relying on immigrants in the ranks', I guess..

(It USUALLY works, but it CAN go wrong).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is great news. enlistment is below average now. they have lowered intellectual standards, and relaxed restrictions on individuals with prior criminal history.
There is a level of dumb that they will not accept, and I have witnessed said level of dumb. People actually fail the ASVAB test at MEPS-- multiple times. It isn't a matter of not getting the score they needed to get the job they wanted; they flat out failed to get the minimum score required to get shipped off as cannon fodder. I don't see how this is humanly possible, but it is.

Quote:
i highly doubt that bad will come of this. its as suspect as the claim that gang members infiltrate the armed services and take what they learn back to the hood.

thats paranoia. it wont happen.
Didn't the CIA give Al Qaeda a lot of backing in the 80s? They're pretty nice folk...

Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
this is great news. enlistment is below average now. they have lowered intellectual standards, and relaxed restrictions on individuals with prior criminal history.

i highly doubt that bad will come of this. its as suspect as the claim that gang members infiltrate the armed services and take what they learn back to the hood.

thats paranoia. it wont happen.

besides most people who would like to see the US fail are not the ones dying to move here. it might be those who belong to religions with extreme military factions, i.e. islam. are we now going to exclude muslims from serving in the armed services because some muslims around the world want to destroy the US?

and as i know. the armed services are a way of people getting out of the hood and making something for themselves.

thats tha way i see it. another rung on the ladder of success in the US!
i dont think the armed services are going to be over run by people intent on harming the US.

GREAT NEWS!!!
Is this paranoia? Just Google "gangs in the military" and you will discover it is in fact true.

Exclusive: Gangs Spreading In The Military, CBS News Talks To The Family Of A U.S. Soldier Killed In Gang Initiation - CBS News

Quote:
Juwan Johnson of Baltimore, Md., willingly took a savage beating to join the Chicago-based gang Gangster Disciples. He was punched, kicked and stomped until he was barely conscious. After the beating, his new brothers put Johnson back in bed where he later died from his injuries.

This did not happen in a back alley of a gang-infested urban city. It took place at Kaiserslautern Army Base in Germany.
Gangs Increasing in Military, FBI Says

Quote:
GRAFENWÖHR, Germany — U.S. criminal gangs have gained a foothold in the U.S. military and are using overseas deployments to spread tentacles around the globe, according to the FBI.

FBI gang investigator Jennifer Simon said in an e-mail to Stars and Stripes this week that gang members have been documented on or near U.S. military bases in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea and Iraq.

“It’s no secret that gang members are prevalent in the armed forces, including internationally,” Simon said, adding that the FBI is preparing to release a report on gangs in the military.
FBI says U.S. criminal gangs are using military to spread their reach | Stars and Stripes

Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
and those are anomolies. those are outliers. they are sad cases. i talk to friends who have been in the service for years and they say that thugs dont last. and the rest reform.

its just not happening like yall think it is.

and we have home grown terrrorists also. those are a handful. should we limit those northern california muslim converts (think "american taliban" guy) from enlisting?

no, should we have measures and policies implemented to reduce the likelihood of treason amongs the ranks?

im sure they do.

no need to worry your lil heads over this.
its ok.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
and those are anomolies. those are outliers. they are sad cases. i talk to friends who have been in the service for years and they say that thugs dont last. and the rest reform.

its just not happening like yall think it is.

and we have home grown terrrorists also. those are a handful. should we limit those northern california muslim converts (think "american taliban" guy) from enlisting?

no, should we have measures and policies implemented to reduce the likelihood of treason amongs the ranks?

im sure they do.

no need to worry your lil heads over this.
its ok.
We have a gang problem in our military, and it’s not an anomaly. When standards are lowered, riff-raff can be expected. All you have to do is research the subject, and you will learn the truth.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
ya, i talk to my buddies in the higher ranks. i talk to my nephews and younger cousins who are proudly serving. i asked about this a long time ago. they have always denied it. they say its minimal. mostly "former" (peewee) gang members. and most of the time those guys dont cut it.

but beleive what you will. i actually know people with first hand knowledge of this. stationed in CA, NC, Germany, guam. they aint tripping about this. its mostly people nervously tip tapping away at a keyboard wh oare worried about this.

much ado about nothing.

and either way, this is still great news.

deciding to let some guantanamo ex prisoners stay in the US...
maybe not.
Quote:
We have a gang problem in our military, and it’s not an anomaly. When standards are lowered, riff-raff can be expected. All you have to do is research the subject, and you will learn the truth.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Why do you consider this great news? I have the same concerns as the veterans. I believe we are inviting enemy infiltration, and who knows what else. Why don’t they just hire mercenaries? At least we will know they are in it for the money, and there will be no allegiance.
During the Civil War the North was so desperate for recruits that large segments of their forces were made up of fresh-off-the-boat immigrants, whose allegiance to their new country was minimal at best.

Macmeal brought up a great example, the San Patricios.

This isn't something without historical precedent.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
During the Civil War the North was so desperate for recruits that large segments of their forces were made up of fresh-off-the-boat immigrants, whose allegiance to their new country was minimal at best.

How could you, here in 2009, possibly know where their allegiance stood at that time?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
ya, i talk to my buddies in the higher ranks. i talk to my nephews and younger cousins who are proudly serving. i asked about this a long time ago. they have always denied it. they say its minimal. mostly "former" (peewee) gang members. and most of the time those guys dont cut it.

but beleive what you will. i actually know people with first hand knowledge of this. stationed in CA, NC, Germany, guam. they aint tripping about this. its mostly people nervously tip tapping away at a keyboard wh oare worried about this.

much ado about nothing.

and either way, this is still great news.

deciding to let some guantanamo ex prisoners stay in the US...
maybe not.
My connections in Defense Intelligence contradict your accounts of this situation. Infiltration by gangs is pervasive, and a definite threat. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post

Yes, there are precedents; and one of those precedents should have taught us a lesson. The San Patricio Battalion was comprised of foreign immigrants who ultimately deserted the U.S. and fought on the side of the enemy. Is that what we want?

To my knowledge, there is no nationality restriction for this initiative. Consequently, we could have recruits in our military from countries wishing us harm. What would prevent an enemy nation from recruiting suicide bombers to enlist in our military to annihilate an entire company or platoon?

In our desperation to recruit for the military, we could be placing our soldiers (and our nation) in harm’s way. I think we need to carefully assess the pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration