Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times

Advertisements

Emma Tlacoxolal-Perez, 36, and Felipe Vargas-Ortega, 46, both of Williamsburg; and Francisco Sanchez-Martinez, 33, of Newport News face conspiracy charges related to operating brothels in James City County, Newport News and Chesapeake, the U.S. attorney's office said in a news release.

Tlacoxolal-Perez faces additional charges of re-entry of a removed alien, coercion and enticement, and interstate travel in aid of racketeering.

Vargas-Ortega faces additional charges of use of a false Social Security number, aggravated identity theft, coercion and enticement, and interstate travel in aid of racketeering, said Dana J. Boente, acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

Rental houses were brothels, officials allege -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/dp-local_prostitutes_0213feb13,0,4556641.story - broken link)

Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Emma Tlacoxolal-Perez, 36, and Felipe Vargas-Ortega, 46, both of Williamsburg; and Francisco Sanchez-Martinez, 33, of Newport News face conspiracy charges related to operating brothels in James City County, Newport News and Chesapeake, the U.S. attorney's office said in a news release.

Tlacoxolal-Perez faces additional charges of re-entry of a removed alien, coercion and enticement, and interstate travel in aid of racketeering.

Vargas-Ortega faces additional charges of use of a false Social Security number, aggravated identity theft, coercion and enticement, and interstate travel in aid of racketeering, said Dana J. Boente, acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

Rental houses were brothels, officials allege -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/dp-local_prostitutes_0213feb13,0,4556641.story - broken link)

And illegals are only here to work?! Well the illegals in this story were working something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Hey - whoring is hard work! And who knew it was work Americans just won't do anymore

But on a serious note, I am glad that they busted these horrible people. I hope that the women they victimized are doing better...

Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Hey - whoring is hard work! And who knew it was work Americans just won't do anymore

But on a serious note, I am glad that they busted these horrible people. I hope that the women they victimized are doing better...
I suspect most of the women involved only become "victims" when they hear of the wonderful benefits of the U visa. It's not as though prostitution is unheard of in Mexico and Central America but it pays better here.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suspect most of the women involved only become "victims" when they hear of the wonderful benefits of the U visa. It's not as though prostitution is unheard of in Mexico and Central America but it pays better here.
No doubt for some of them, but I always worry about those that are promised jobs as maids or whatnot, and end up in a brothel. It happens....

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No doubt for some of them, but I always worry about those that are promised jobs as maids or whatnot, and end up in a brothel. It happens....
I'm sure it happens, but there's no real shortage of prostitutes who would jump at the chance to "work" in the USA. I think many of the claims of victimhood have more to do with the U visa and it's many excellent benefits.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm sure it happens, but there's no real shortage of prostitutes who would jump at the chance to "work" in the USA. I think many of the claims of victimhood have more to do with the U visa and it's many excellent benefits.
There are a sizeable number of illegal prostitutes who are just ordinary women who are forced into prostitution by coyotes to "pay off" their debt incurred by bringing them across the border. I read an article a few years ago saying that a majority of female Salvadoran illegal aliens in the US were or had been hookers.

Another reason to legalize prostitution in the US - if the coyote-pimps are put out of business, working conditions are improved, and labor laws apply to the world's oldest profession, Americans WILL be willing to work as "professional ladies" (or rentboys) again and those illegals who either come specifically to work as hookers or are forced into it won't come. If the jobs aren't there, fewer will come....

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are a sizeable number of illegal prostitutes who are just ordinary women who are forced into prostitution by coyotes to "pay off" their debt incurred by bringing them across the border. I read an article a few years ago saying that a majority of female Salvadoran illegal aliens in the US were or had been hookers.

Another reason to legalize prostitution in the US - if the coyote-pimps are put out of business, working conditions are improved, and labor laws apply to the world's oldest profession, Americans WILL be willing to work as "professional ladies" (or rentboys) again and those illegals who either come specifically to work as hookers or are forced into it won't come. If the jobs aren't there, fewer will come....
Imagine all the tax dollars that could supplement this stimulus package if prostitution were legalized. In Germany prostitution is legal and is actually a very respected profession. All must carry a license, identification and proof of recent STD testing. It is highly regulated and confined to specific areas of cities. It sees to work since as we know, nothing would stop it with such high demands.

Also, we can legalize drugs and cut out the middle men terrorizing Mexico and our border states. We know drug users in the US could care less that they are encouraging illegal immigration, corruption and trafficking crimes. So just legalize it and add to the stimulus package.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Imagine all the tax dollars that could supplement this stimulus package if prostitution were legalized. In Germany prostitution is legal and is actually a very respected profession. All must carry a license, identification and proof of recent STD testing. It is highly regulated and confined to specific areas of cities. It sees to work since as we know, nothing would stop it with such high demands.

Also, we can legalize drugs and cut out the middle men terrorizing Mexico and our border states. We know drug users in the US could care less that they are encouraging illegal immigration, corruption and trafficking crimes. So just legalize it and add to the stimulus package.
Great post! I agree completely. I'd rep you if I could.

Although TBF voluntary prostitution in the US is considered a matter for the states not the federal government, so legalization of prostitution would be done on a state level not a federal level. However, it would certainly boost the economy of any state that chooses to do so - and in particular if all of the border states legalized prostitution, there'd be definite reductions in illegal immigration/human trafficking.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Great post! I agree completely. I'd rep you if I could.

Although TBF voluntary prostitution in the US is considered a matter for the states not the federal government, so legalization of prostitution would be done on a state level not a federal level. However, it would certainly boost the economy of any state that chooses to do so - and in particular if all of the border states legalized prostitution, there'd be definite reductions in illegal immigration/human trafficking.
But wouldn't there still be a market for non regulated prostitutes? Cheaper, perhaps? And those that are smuggled into the country working off 'debt' will still be nothing but pure profit for their 'handlers'.

I do see both sides of the prostitution debate, and I have a hard time deciding which is the lesser of two evils -legalizing it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration