U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,727,687 times
Reputation: 739

Advertisements

Here as elsewhere in America, Latinos have been especially hard hit by the economic crisis, according to recent studies by the Pew Hispanic Center. A Pew study issued last week found that the unemployment rate for foreign-born Latinos increased from 5.1% in the fourth quarter of 2007 to 8% during the fourth quarter of 2008

Remittances - the money Mexican migrants sent home - fell for the first time in history last year, from $26 billion to $25 billion, according to the Pew report and the Mexican central bank. For Mexico, that's bad news because remittances are the second largest source of foreign income after oil
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/39820472.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,309,484 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
Here as elsewhere in America, Latinos have been especially hard hit by the economic crisis, according to recent studies by the Pew Hispanic Center. A Pew study issued last week found that the unemployment rate for foreign-born Latinos increased from 5.1% in the fourth quarter of 2007 to 8% during the fourth quarter of 2008

Remittances - the money Mexican migrants sent home - fell for the first time in history last year, from $26 billion to $25 billion, according to the Pew report and the Mexican central bank. For Mexico, that's bad news because remittances are the second largest source of foreign income after oil
Economic crisis hits Latinos helping relatives abroad - JSOnline
So????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
So????
Easy there: don't shoot the messenger.................besides, city414 is not exactly pro illegal alien himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
While the term 'foreign born latinos' is somewhat ambiguous, I am going to go with the term 'illegal'.
IF that is what they meant, then I say ----- good! Karma is a ***** and all that. IF they meant legal latino immigrant, I say ----- it is getting tough all over, my sisters place of business laid off 16 underwriters a week ago. Blue collar/white collar it makes little differnce in these economic times.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Remittances down = AWESOME!

Maybe the Govts of those Countries can figure out something to do for these people at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
It's impossible to comment on this report, because at this point, no one that I've seen can come up with a definition in terms. Until the time that we can identify what is a "latino", what is a "Mexican migrant", what is an "American of Mexican ancestry", and what is an "illegal immigrant", and what is an "illegal immigrant from Mexico living in the US", then any comment on the plight of "latinos" will be simply an exercise in futility.

You can't comment on the fortunes of a group,....ANY group..... until you can identify who that group is comprised of...and who is not included. Makes no more sense than saying "I hear the Italians in New Jersey are doing REALLY well at some things...even better than the Chinese in California". A 'non-sense' statement, impossible to confirm or deny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,198 posts, read 2,865,775 times
Reputation: 2907
Originally posted by city414
Quote:
Remittances - the money Mexican migrants sent home - fell for the first time in history last year, from $26 billion to $25 billion, according to the Pew report and the Mexican central bank. For Mexico, that's bad news because remittances are the second largest source of foreign income after oil
Wow, I had no idea that much American money went into Mexico on a monthly basis. And a 1 billion dollar cut, that's really something. How much of that money do you think goes directly into the pockets of drug lords. I mean, they are the ones who really run that country and I am sure they are not above demanding tribute.

As for the out of work "latinos", maybe the legals are suffering but the "illegals" are working just as hard as ever. I myself haven't worked in 2 weeks but I can go out right now and take any of you to at least a dozen jobs where the primary work force is comprised of illegal aliens. These guys are still working while Americans are out of work. This makes me sick.

I think the reason for the large jump in "latino" unemployed is due to the never ending tide of illegals jumping the border. Of course the numbers will go up when your population in this country continues to grow while there are no new jobs. You can only put so many illegals to work in our current economic state, so even they are finally suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,297,320 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Remittances down = AWESOME!

Maybe the Govts of those Countries can figure out something to do for these people at home?
Well, after the fall on remittances and oil prices, the highest source of income of Mexico now became, Tv's, yup you heard right, Tv's made in Mexico are the strongest source of income now, Oil fell down to the third position for the first time in the country's history and remittances fell to the second place.

Now this is hitting US business in Mexico hard too, because many of them depend on consumption of people who is dependent on remittances. I suppose this will make a lot of Americans happy specially those who are angry about the corporate interests and corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's impossible to comment on this report, because at this point, no one that I've seen can come up with a definition in terms. Until the time that we can identify what is a "latino", what is a "Mexican migrant", what is an "American of Mexican ancestry", and what is an "illegal immigrant", and what is an "illegal immigrant from Mexico living in the US", then any comment on the plight of "latinos" will be simply an exercise in futility.

You can't comment on the fortunes of a group,....ANY group..... until you can identify who that group is comprised of...and who is not included. Makes no more sense than saying "I hear the Italians in New Jersey are doing REALLY well at some things...even better than the Chinese in California". A 'non-sense' statement, impossible to confirm or deny...
Well put from the "It's" to the "deny...".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,727,687 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
So????
APJ i dont give a **** either im just trying to figure out the whole ordeal why dont their relatives in their home countries send them money now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top