Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM

200 posts, read 348,646 times

Advertisements

About 27% of inmates in Federal, State and local jails are criminal aliens, most from Mexico!

www.gao.gov/new.items/d05337r.pdf

Information on Criminal Illegal Aliens Incarcerated in Federal and State Prisons and Local Jails.

The percentage of all federal prisoners who are criminal aliens has remained the same over the last 3 years—about 27 percent. The majority of criminal aliens incarcerated at the end of calendar year 2004 were identified as citizens of Mexico.

governments under SCAAP--totaled approximately $5.8 billion for calendar years 2001 through 2004. BOP’s cost to incarcerate criminal aliens rose from about $950 million in 2001 to about $1.2 billion in 2004—a 14 percent increase. Federal reimbursements for incarcerating criminal aliens in state prisons and local jails declined from $550 million in 2001 to $280 million in 2004, in a large part due to a reduction in congressional appropriations.

At the state level, the 50 states received reimbursement for incarcerating about 77,000 criminal aliens in fiscal year 2002 and 47 states received reimbursement for incarcerating about 74,000 in fiscal year 2003.1 For the 5 states incarcerating about 80 percent of these criminal aliens in fiscal year 2003, 2 about 68 percent incarcerated in midyear 2004 reported that the country of citizenship or country of birth as Mexico, the Dominican Republic, or Cuba. We estimate that 4 of these 5 states spent about $1.6 billion to incarcerate criminal aliens reimbursed through SCAAP during fiscal years 2002 and 2003.3 We estimate that the federal government reimbursed these four states about 25 percent or less of the estimated cost to incarcerate these criminal aliens in fiscal years 2002 and 2003.

• At the local level, in fiscal year 2002, SCAAP reimbursed about 750 local governments for incarcerating about 138,000 criminal aliens. In fiscal year 2003, SCAAP reimbursed about 700 local governments for about 147,000 criminal aliens, with 5 local jail systems4 accounting for about 30 percent of these criminal aliens. The 147,000 criminal aliens incarcerated during fiscal year 2003 spent a total of about 8.5 million days in jail. Mexico leads as the country of birth for foreign-born arrestees at these 5 local jails in fiscal year 2003. We estimate that 4 of these 5 local jails spent an estimated $390 million in fiscal years 2002 and 2003 to incarcerate criminal aliens and were reimbursed about $73 million through SCAAP. We estimate that the federal government reimbursed these localities about 25 percent or less of the estimated criminal alien incarceration cost in fiscal years 2002 and 2003.
______________________________________...

1 In fiscal year 2003, Illinois, Montana, and Oregon did not submit claims for reimbursement.
2 The five states are Arizona, California, Florida, New York, and Texas.
3 We omitted Texas from our analysis since fiscal year 2003 cost data were not available.
Texas spent about $130 million in fiscal year 2002 to incarcerate SCAAP criminal aliens.
4 The five local jails are Maricopa County, Arizona; Los Angeles County, California; Orange County, California; New York City, New York; and Harris County, Texas.

Last edited by Vlad-The-Impaler; 02-13-2009 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,763,161 times
Two questions...
1. If they are ILLEGAL, why are they being housed in US prisons? Wouldn't they be sent back to their home countries? I think you're confused - or I am.
2. Since only 27% are "aliens" (sic), doesn't that mean 73% are American-born? Guess we should send all of our criminals back to wherever their ancestors came from... since apparently TONS of Americans are criminal, and we don't really need those people here.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,168,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Two questions...
1. If they are ILLEGAL, why are they being housed in US prisons? Wouldn't they be sent back to their home countries? I think you're confused - or I am.
2. Since only 27% are "aliens" (sic), doesn't that mean 73% are American-born? Guess we should send all of our criminals back to wherever their ancestors came from... since apparently TONS of Americans are criminal, and we don't really need those people here.
They are being housed in US prison because they more than likely committed violent crimes.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:05 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,460,350 times
Quote:
Two questions...
1. If they commit a crime here then they are under the jurisdiction of the US legal system. Why would we allow someone who murdered a US citizen or committed a similar serious crime go home to Mexico or Honduras? Their own government is not going to punish them. (they would probably give them a medal)

2. Real weak argument.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,574,094 times
Death penalty

problem solved

Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,168,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Their own government is not going to punish them. (they would probably give them a medal)
I totally agree with that.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM

200 posts, read 348,646 times
Even if the U.S. deported them, they would be back in the U.S. by the weekend. We need the military on the border to keep them out! Can you imagine if we spent 3 million dollars a day on free education for all Americans, after school child care, or anything? The illegal aliens are breaking the American budget needlessly!

----------------------------

$3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Last edited by Vlad-The-Impaler; 02-13-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,503,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
$3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

CNN.com - Transcripts
This is a major unnecessary (and preventable) expense. We have thousands of violent IA criminals wreaking havoc in this country, and we shouldn’t be burdened with astronomical bills for their transgressions. To add insult to injury, we also incur the expense for police investigations, legal defense, and court costs.

Granted, we also pay for our homegrown miscreants, but they have a right to be here. . . . illegals don’t. Contrary to pro-illegal sentiment, the fact that we have US-born criminals does not justify embracing criminals from Mexico, or elsewhere. It’s bad enough we are forced to support homegrown convicts. Now, we have the added burden of paying for criminals who have no legal right to even be here. Unfortunately, this is only one of myriad illegal alien expenses being thrust upon U.S. taxpayers. How much of this nonsense must we endure?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,515,483 times
Quote:
PLEASE...once again. You CAN'T be serious. American criminals are "OUR" criminals; Illegal immigrant criminals are somebody else's. I can never QUITE shake the idea that people who make this comparison are either HOPELESSLY naive, or 11 years old, or totally out of touch...or just "pulling our leg"....But it does get made, and it's ridiculous, and one would have to be PURPOSELY obfuscating the issue to even PRETEND to make that 'stretch'. I just don't believe you're that dumb. To pretend you are, is insulting to your readers.

I suppose if My child went to YOUR house, and started a fire, or vandalized the place, you'd happily "eat" the costs? Because YOUR kids cause problems, too..right? And if you're going to pay for the damages YOUR kids cause at your house, then of course you should also pay for the damages MY kid caused at your house, too. And YOU have three kids, and I only have ONE..so MOST of the 'bad kids' are YOUR kids anyway, so you'll just pick up the tab for all FOUR, and never call me, or send me the bill......right? .....BALONEY !....you know better than that, just as well as I do.

PLEASE....no more of this, OK? I'm responsible for MY kids, not for yours; and we're responsible for OUR criminals, not some other country's.

(and I STILL think you're pulling our leg....NOBODY could seriously make that connection...I HOPE..)

What a load of Bio-solids. It was funny the first time I heard it; now it's just tiresome, illogical, and insulting.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-13-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,503,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
PLEASE...once again. You CAN'T be serious. American criminals are "OUR" criminals; Illegal immigrant criminals are somebody else's. I can never QUITE shake the idea that people who make this comparison are "pulling our leg", but it does get made, and it's ridiculous, and one would have to be PURPOSELY obfuscating the issue to even PRETEND to make that 'stretch'. I just don't believe you're that dumb.

I suppose if My child went to YOUR house, and started a fire, or vandalized the place, you'd happily "eat" the costs? Because YOUR kids cause problems, too..right? And if you're going to pay for the damages YOUR kids cause at your house, then of course you should also pay for the damages MY kid caused at your house, too. And YOU have three kids, and I only have ONE..so MOST of the 'bad kids' are YOUR kids anyway, so you'll just pick up the tab for all FOUR, and never send me the bill......right? Baloney....you know better than that, just as well as I do.

PLEASE....no more of this, OK? I'm responsible for MY kids, not for yours; and we're responsible for OUR criminals, not some other country's.

(and I STILL think you're pulling our leg....NOBODY could seriously make that connection...I HOPE..)

What a load of Bio-solids.
Absolutely! Perhaps they believe if they say it enough times, we will grow weary and eventually acquiesce. They obviously don’t realize that inculcated BS is still BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration