Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
That could be because the majority of the population was in fact of European ancestry. Otherwise good post.
Also, notice they won't discuss per capita who the biggest welfare mooches are.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Quakers who hid escaping slaves from their rightful owners were
"breaking the law". Slaves who ran away were doing so "illegally."
The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1884 made it "illegal" for any Chinese
person to immigrate to the US. Were these just and moral laws?
Were the slaves wrong for running away and the Quakers for assisting
them? Should the Chinese have obeyed a clearly racist law? Does
anyone have anymore examples of unjust laws that were later
acknowledged as wrong and overturned? There's tons of examples.
The US has every right to define its borders and regulate immigration. That is not illegal nor is it immoral.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Also, notice they won't discuss per capita who the biggest welfare mooches are.
We have welfare mooches of all races, absolutely. What was intended to be a help in hard times has turned (for a lot of people) into a generational scam. With that said, we hardly need to invite more potential moochers into the country.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:14 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The US has every right to define its borders and regulate immigration. That is not illegal nor is it immoral.
An immigration law that discriminates against Chinese people for being Chinese IS immoral.
Also - this post was in answer to a post by someone who thought if it was illegal it was necessarily immoral and vice versa. I gave him examples of where that was not true.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM

83 posts, read 271,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That was in reference to their cultures. Obviously the American culture is the one that provides the best living for most people.

Yes immigrants come here for a variety of reasons, some want to leave behind their cultures and countries and become American, adapt to our culture, be a part of this country.

But for any immigrant group to think it's culture is superior would be rather absurd because they wouldn't need to be fleeing their own and escaping to ours.
So it's OK to think that our culture is superior, but it's "absurd" for any other culture to feel the same way?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kweens View Post
So it's OK to think that our culture is superior, but it's "absurd" for any other culture to feel the same way?
Slow your roll there - he didn't say the US culture was superior, or that it was ok to think so. The point is, you don't see US citizens fleeing to other countries en masse to escape the 'horrors' of our culture.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Slow your roll there - he didn't say the US culture was superior, or that it was ok to think so. The point is, you don't see US citizens fleeing to other countries en masse to escape the 'horrors' of our culture.
Our culture is great, for the most part we embrace other cultures. There is just one little thing.. and it involves hospitality.

Whenever I go to a Mexican persons house, they always offer me something to eat/drink, respectfully I always decline.

But when I go to an Americans house, whose not of Mexican decent, don't offer me a damn thing.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 PM

334 posts, read 827,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Well, I don't know it looks like hispanics and anglos have participation consonant with their population, the thing is that we have two white america's in this country and they bigger effect on the numbers, i.e red-necks and hate groups have a huge particiption in welfare programs.
I thought all of it was for them, and they're just pissed because they have to share it . . . .

Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kweens View Post
It's absurd if they come here, yet still feel their culture is superior to ours. The idea used to be that people come here and take on a new culture, but alas most people come here in times of late as vultures, intent on picking all they can from us.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
An immigration law that discriminates against Chinese people for being Chinese IS immoral.
Also - this post was in answer to a post by someone who thought if it was illegal it was necessarily immoral and vice versa. I gave him examples of where that was not true.
There is no law banning Chinese or any other race/ethnicity from immigrating here-------legally.

Besides: did China ask Tibet if they could take it over 50 odd years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration