U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times

Advertisements

The case centers around crime sweeps aimed at illegal immigrants conducted by Arpaio in Phoenix, Guadalupe and other parts of the metro region. The ACLU and Kozinets claim the MCSO unfairly targets Latinos in those sweeps for questioning and arrest.
Arpaio has defended the sweeps saying his deputies are enforcing the law.
Murguia is the twin sister of Janet Murguia, president and CEO of the National Council of La Raza, a leading Hispanic advocacy group.

Federal court sides with ACLU against Arpaio in round 1 of profiling case - Phoenix Business Journal:

Not only is this a conflict of interest but it would be a travesty of justice if this racist and very partial judge who is not capable of conducting or rendering a fair trial or decision is not forced to recuse herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

117 posts, read 259,467 times
Actually, I believe that Sheriff Joe is practicing and having his officers utilize some form of racial profiling. Example: my uncle (an outstanding American citizen) was pulled over because "he looked suspicous". Okay, what crime is that? They asked if he had a green card, social security card, and a whole bunch of crap. He has no green card because he is a US citizen, and who the hell carries a social security on them like it's a key chain? He showed them ID and they tried to say it was fake and they asked him if he was illegal. Keep in mind my uncle speaks perfect English and he has valid ID. After 40 minutes of nonsense quiestioning, they let him go. Something is not right here, and it needs to be taken care of. If Sheriff Joe wants to stop illegal immigration, then he should go to the borders and keep them from coming in instead of stopping every person because they are Hispanic in the United States. Most of you people don't know what we go through because you are not Hispanic. Drug addicts, thieves, child molesters, and other criminals are feeling relaxed and are out and about in Maricopa County because they know that the sheriff's office are targeting and looking mostly for Hispanics. That's what I think anyways.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:10 PM

200 posts, read 299,395 times
From what I've read, Sherriff Joe is stopping them for broken tail lights, no seat belts, speeding, failure to stop, swerving. I think he's doing a fine job and it's unfortunate that he can't get a fair trial with a bias latino elected official. She should step down or be thrown off the case.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Actually, I believe that Sheriff Joe is practicing and having his officers utilize some form of racial profiling. Example: my uncle (an outstanding American citizen) was pulled over because "he looked suspicous". Okay, what crime is that? They asked if he had a green card, social security card, and a whole bunch of crap. He has no green card because he is a US citizen, and who the hell carries a social security on them like it's a key chain? He showed them ID and they tried to say it was fake and they asked him if he was illegal. Keep in mind my uncle speaks perfect English and he has valid ID. After 40 minutes of nonsense quiestioning, they let him go. Something is not right here, and it needs to be taken care of. If Sheriff Joe wants to stop illegal immigration, then he should go to the borders and keep them from coming in instead of stopping every person because they are Hispanic in the United States. Most of you people don't know what we go through because you are not Hispanic. Drug addicts, thieves, child molesters, and other criminals are feeling relaxed and are out and about in Maricopa County because they know that the sheriff's office are targeting and looking mostly for Hispanics. That's what I think anyways.

That's your side of the story, so I will not pass judgment on Arpaio until I hear his side of this story or see positive proof of what you have stated. There is always two sides to every story. A couple of decades ago I was stopped for DWB and I agree that racial profiling is wrong, but for now that is as far as I am willing to stand in agreement with you.

That being said, it is unfortunate that the ethnocentric racists and many Americans of mexican descent thought it was fine to be counted amongst their illegal alien raza during the amnesty marches. They certainly didn't mind being counted amongst the illegal alien masses then did they? LaRaza, Lulac, Luis Guiterrez and more than a few other ethnocentric racists have no problem asking you to march and demand amnesty on their behalf either.

As for this part of your statement:
Quote:
Drug addicts, thieves, child molesters, and other criminals are feeling relaxed and are out and about in Maricopa County because they know that the sheriff's office are targeting and looking mostly for Hispanics. That's what I think anyways.
Hundreds of thousands of hispanic illegal aliens are in jail for commiting the above mentioned crimes.

I agree, something's not right indeed . . . . .

Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The case centers around crime sweeps aimed at illegal immigrants conducted by Arpaio in Phoenix, Guadalupe and other parts of the metro region. The ACLU and Kozinets claim the MCSO unfairly targets Latinos in those sweeps for questioning and arrest.
Arpaio has defended the sweeps saying his deputies are enforcing the law.
Murguia is the twin sister of Janet Murguia, president and CEO of the National Council of La Raza, a leading Hispanic advocacy group.

Federal court sides with ACLU against Arpaio in round 1 of profiling case - Phoenix Business Journal:

Not only is this a conflict of interest but it would be a travesty of justice if this racist and very partial judge who is not capable of conducting or rendering a fair trial or decision is not forced to recuse herself.
Why is she racist?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:00 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
She should recuse herself for obvious reasons.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
She should recuse herself for obvious reasons.
Agreed. But then again that's what a fair and ethical judge would do. This one reeks with the stench of typical laraza, anger and corruption. Everything for the race. . . for everyone else . . . .

Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,857 times
Yes, biased and corrupt judge Mary Murguia, evil twin sister of Janet Murguia, the batwoman and head of LaRaza, has NEVER RULED AGAINST an hispanic. Arpaio's atty should file a lawsuit against judge Murguia for "conflict of interest" and "malfeasance in office".

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Tough. Deal with it.

I used be 'contacted' by the police back in both the Wash DC area as well as California when I was younger (1970's) due to my having long hair and a beard. I did not like it; but, now that I am older I understand the (probable) need for 'profiling'. Too many 'Hippie' looking people were/are indeed troublemakers.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,735 times
Quote:
More power to him. Since the vast majority of illegal aliens ARE Hispanic, I don't consider it racial profiling to pull over Hispanics. Law enforcement in my county pull over suspicious looking people all the time. So far they have netted almost a million dollars in cash from drug runners. I fully support their efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration