U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 AM
 
167 posts, read 420,738 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
At nine years old you have no say over the decisions your parents make for you. You just follow because you trust that your parents love you and know what is best for you. He is not to blame for what his parents did. He did not break the law.
That still does not make it right. His parents came first, he followed some time after - on his own.

It is a cycle that needs to be fixed. Stop the parents/illegals which should take care of the minors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,913,753 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
At nine years old you have no say over the decisions your parents make for you. You just follow because you trust that your parents love you and know what is best for you. He is not to blame for what his parents did. He did not break the law.
That may be true....the boy did nothing "intentionally wrong"....just like when I get refused entry to an exclusive country club. It's not that I'm "bad" or that they hate me...only that I'm not eligible to enter, because I'm not a member.

Meanwhile, your post brings up another thought....Don't you find it strange that here we are, discussing the possible guilt of a 9-year old for what his parents did.....but on the same forum, MILLIONS of people are regularly chastized, denigrated, scolded, and held accountable for what their great-great GRANDPARENTS did ?....or what somebody did who might have LOOKED like one of their distant ancestors ?.

Either we're a society of individual accountability,or a society of 'group rights' and 'group debts'. BOTH types exist in the world....and you can have one, or you can have the other...but you can't have both.

Illegal immigration is a legal issue, not a racial one. You might not know it reading this forum, but that's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,960,213 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That may be true....the boy did nothing "intentionally wrong"....just like when I get refused entry to an exclusive country club. It's not that I'm "bad" or that they hate me...only that I'm not eligible to enter, because I'm not a member.

Meanwhile, your post brings up another thought....Don't you find it strange that here we are, discussing the possible guilt of a 9-year old for what his parents did.....but on the same forum, MILLIONS of people are regularly chastized, denigrated, scolded, and held accountable for what their great-great GRANDPARENTS did ?....or what somebody did who might have LOOKED like one of their distant ancestors ?.

Either we're a society of individual accountability,or a society of 'group rights' and 'group debts'. BOTH types exist in the world....and you can have one, or you can have the other...but you can't have both.

Illegal immigration is a legal issue, not a racial one. You might not know it reading this forum, but that's the truth.
Just like you tell people(even when it isn't being implied) all the time to let go of the "injustices" towards minorities since they are not important(if even existent to you), you need to let go of that white-blame bull.

It's like whenever someone talks about having pride in their heritage, you think they're saying they are more "special" than you.

Whenever someone talks about a past event(say America's history of discrimination, Europe's colonization), you take it as if it is partially directed toward you.

Like now, you're bringing up that topic completely randomly. What sarcastic quip would you have made if a Latino on here was randomly bringing up some kind of injustice or stereotype?
Someone could be talking about something completely unrelated, and you'll pop in, and go "Yes! Yes! White people are responsible for everything bad in this world!" Leaving the poster completely baffled to where that odd and random outburst is coming from. We can talk about the sins of Latinos all day on this forum, but God forbid anyone bring up the "W" word in a negative way.

Maybe you're right about how all the ethnic groups making their voice heard as ethnic groups is a bad thing. We really are becoming a nation of whiners.
Now even the Anglo-Saxons of all people are trying to wear the victim hat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,819,184 times
Reputation: 1287
What job is this kid going to get when he graduates? He is in the US illegally and has no SS#.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,925,713 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Honey, if his name was Michael Jones and he was an English kid who moved here when he was 9, he would not be in Harvard on a full scholarship.
Why not? What's the difference? If Michael Jones were #1 in his high school class, how would he have been any different?

There is no affirmative action at Harvard, it's a private university with full control over its admissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,925,713 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
1. For whatever reason, the Ivy league schools are smitten with students like this illegal alien. If there were 3 equally qualified candidates for one admission spot and one of them listed hat he spent a sumer in Pakistan training with the Taliban under his extracurricular activities, he would be the one they would all want, no contest. It would not matter one iota that the other two did things like volunteer to tutor inner city kids or work with the homeless. They would be fighting each other over the Taliban kid. To a place like Harvard, having an illegal alien is a real feather in their cap. Being an illegal alien probably gave him a real leg up in the admissions process.

Harvard prof: Darling, did you know we have a student who is an illegal alien this year?

Wife: Why how simply marvelous! We must invite him to the dinner party we are giving this Saturday! Dunstan and Cooper would love to meet him.

Then after they eat dinner, they will all sit around in overstuffed chairs, smoke pipes and discuss how terrible the US is, what racists and bigots we are, etc. etc., etc.
This is all your prejudice against people from better educational backgrounds than you. You have no proof, no evidence and nothing to back up your wild claims other than fantasies and hypotheticals. I personally know dozens of people who went to Harvard, and they were all the creme of the crop. Every kid at Harvard (except for the legacies, who aren't as significant as you people seem to think) was the absolute star of their school. Juan was his HS's best student and he fully deserved his scholarship because he proved his acceptance to be correct by being in the top 1% (summa c-um laude) of his class at Harvard. Seriously, I'd rather see him legalized and given citizenship because he's a lot smarter than 99.99999% of legal Americans.

Plus, 16% of Harvard is international anyways, not all with citizenship or visas either. A record 10.5 percent of the admitted students are African American, while 17.8 percent are Asian American, 8.2 percent are Latino, and slightly more than 1 percent are Native American. And about 12% were their HS Valedictorian just like Juan. Those are the FACTS. All you have are opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,925,713 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Sigh...AGAIN, it's the scholarship issue. It's discriminatory. Scholarships should NOT be given on the basis of race but strictly on need and/or accomplishments.

Perhaps you don't realize that the largest organizations providing scholarships are either race-based OR simply won't accept applications from white students??????? Others give applicants extra points if they belong to a minority group. But it doesn't work both ways. We used to live in an area that was 95 percent Hispanic and the local university's "minority" scholarships still went to Hispanics not to whites or even the few black and Asian students there were.

The Gates scholarships are ONLY for minorities. There's also the Hispanic Scholarship Fund and the United Negro College Fund. Yet, if there was a Caucasian Scholarship Fund, you can bet that minority groups would be SUING and screaming about discrimination.

That needs to stop. If scholarships were solely based on need and/or accomplishments, then minority students would still get their fair share without anyone being discriminated against. Do you get it now? If not, I give up.
Again, as a white person, I laugh at this. You know who looks out for the white people? EVERYONE. The majority of every admissions committee is white, most merit-based scholarships are based solely, surprise surprise, on MERIT, and white people have had unlimited rights since the dawn of America. How long ago were Blacks even allowed on most college campuses? Not that long, maybe 40-50 years. When your parents didn't go to college, it's a lot less likely you will, especially if you grow up poor (like the majority of minorities in this country) and live in a community where more kids drop out of HS and go to jail than finish and go to college. White people have no excuses...we have no discrimination getting in our way, and if we work hard and do well in school, we are rewarded for it. I got scholarship offers just like my black best friend did, and just like the girl from Mexico city did.

Crying and complaining that white people have to actually work for things now is simply pathetic. By saying Juan doesn't deserve to be at Harvard is also discrediting all those white people he beat out in HS for the Valedictorian. And there are "white" groups that support you anyways. If you know your nationality, there's a scholarship fund for it. If not, there are plenty of fellowships that ignore race. And there's always merit and need based scholarships, especially at Harvard and other private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,925,713 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Anyone who thinks amnesty, pity for illegals, etc. is OK should not be allowed to call themselves Americans. Thomas Jefferson would have most of you shot for treason!

They are ILLEGAL aliens, they deserve nothing but a bus ticket out of the country. Those of you who agree with this farce need find a seat on the same bus, or maybe we'll get lucky and you'll get hit by the bus, whatever it takes.
You really need to shut up with your whole "treason" BS. Did YOU serve in the military? Do YOU give back to your community nearly every day of the week? Give me a break, yelling "treason" for people who have opinions is more like treason in this country...we're entitled to our opinions, that's one of Jefferson's main ideals.

And if you knew anything about our constitution or Thomas Jefferson, you would know that he was a liberal who did not want anything related to immigration in our constitution. He also grew pot on his farm, what's your opinion on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,819,184 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
This is all your prejudice against people from better educational backgrounds than you. You have no proof, no evidence and nothing to back up your wild claims other than fantasies and hypotheticals. I personally know dozens of people who went to Harvard, and they were all the creme of the crop. Every kid at Harvard (except for the legacies, who aren't as significant as you people seem to think) was the absolute star of their school. Juan was his HS's best student
After taking a look at the test scores of his HS, being valedictorian may no be quite the towering achievement you are making it out to be.

Theodore Roosevelt Senior High School Test Scores - Los Angeles, California - CA

Quote:
......and he fully deserved his scholarship because he proved his acceptance to be correct by being in the top 1% (summa c-um laude) of his class at Harvard.
Summa c-um laude? This kid has only completed his first semester at Harvard! How can you say he is in the top 1% of his Harvard class when he will not graduate for another 3 years?

Quote:
Seriously, I'd rather see him legalized and given citizenship because he's a lot smarter than 99.99999% of legal Americans.


Plus, 16% of Harvard is international anyways, not all with citizenship or visas either. A record 10.5 percent of the admitted students are African American, while 17.8 percent are Asian American, 8.2 percent are Latino, and slightly more than 1 percent are Native American (http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/04.07/03-admission.html - broken link). And about 12% were their HS Valedictorian just like Juan. Those are the FACTS. All you have are opinions...
Show me where in that article that it says "Plus, 16% of Harvard is international anyways, not all with citizenship or visas either."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,925,713 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What job is this kid going to get when he graduates? He is in the US illegally and has no SS#.
A Summa C-um Laude Harvard graduate will have no problem finding a 6-figure job right out of college. Any company who will hire him will also have an immigration attorney work on getting him the proper visa to live here and work here. That's how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top