U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
As JDubsMom said:

If you research birthright citizenship, you will find that some scholars assert that the 14th Amendment requires that we grant citizenship to anyone born in the U.S. Other legal scholars disagree, arguing that the children of illegal aliens, like the children born to foreign diplomats stationed here, are not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States as required by the 14th Amendment.

One of the Fourteenth Amendment's key authors, Michigan Senator Jacob Howard explained in 1866 that the citizenship clause, intended to ensure the rights of former slaves and their children, "would not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are the children of foreigners, aliens, or who belong to families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States..."

Senator Howard made his intentions for this Amendment perfectly clear. This Amendment was never intended to write a blank check to the children of people in this country illegally. How could anyone in 1866 could have forseen the situation that we are in today with regards to illegal foreign nationals and their illegal anchor babies? I'm sure that the good senator assumed that the Amendment would be executed with a modicum of common sense, which of course, it has not been.

The citizenship clause of the Fourteenth Amendment has been rendered purposeless. Those children of slaves for whom the Amendment was framed are long in the grave. I feel certain that the abuse of the Fourteenth Amendment would most definitely leave a bad taste in their mouths.
Kele, I respect most of your posts and what you have posted here is fact. However, it is not the most current information. I realize we do have a problem with illegal immigration and we need to deal with that. I also believe that we will need to revise and rewrite our 14th Amendment sometime in the near future. However, I dont see this happening until the illegal immigration issue is resolved.

Until then, The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The law is the law, enforce the 14th amendment like it has always been enforced. You are very wrong about this issue and i'm pretty sure the supreme court will disagree with you too.
Its not wrong, it is just out dated is all. Many see the current one out dated as well but until the supreme court revises it and rewrites it...the law is the law.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,855 times
Vlad the Impaler is an appropriate name for someone with your instincts. It is clear that you are writing out of prejudice and bigotry.

Let me illustrate my point above, Mr. Envy, by citing just one of thousands of cases: Von Braun was a Nazi rocket scientist from Germany who fathered the space program. He was supposed to be an enemy of the America, but was awarded American citizenship due to his contributions.

What about those immigrants who served and continue serving in all modern wars? They are not just cannon flesh but true warriors willing to sacrifice themselves so that even you and people like you can spread their bigotry against others moved by their own envy, ignorance, and personal frustrations. Ignorance and envy have no shame or limits, sir.

Mr. Hernandez received a well-deserved scholarship from a private organization. Therefore, don't worry: he is not taking money from losers.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 AM

11,397 posts, read 16,003,306 times
This thread infuriates me.

Why shouldn't he get a scholarship if he EARNED it? Am I getting over $100,000 in "free money" because I was chosen for a scholarship? I get 40K a year, guess I should give that back because my academic achievements don't merit it. I should struggle like the rest of the slackers to pay for my college because I didn't feel the need to give it my all in high school. I damn well deserved it- as well as the scholarships I got to study in MEXICO and now in the UK. I plan on returning to the UK for grad school upon which I, like many of my friends, will probably get some financial aid.

There are tons of international students on scholarships to Harvard. If this issue really bothered Harvard, they'd just get him a student visa. It doesn't because it's not an issue. He's not "stealing a place from an American" any more than an international student is.

Harvard is a PRIVATE SCHOOL. They could decide tomorrow that they were only going to accept students from Mongolia and what then? The scholarship granting body is also a private organization.

For those of you complaining about how you can't pay for your college or your children's college- who is to blame? Don't misplace blame on this student who obviously worked hard just because of his parentage. He didn't choose to come here and, if he's like any of my illegal friends who came here as a small child and worked hard here, he has no connection to Mexico. I had more of a connection to Mexico than most of my friends! He worked for that scholarship- why did you or your kids? At my high school, the kids who worked hard invariably got a full scholarship SOMEWHERE. The kids who didn't, well, they were on their own.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This thread infuriates me.

Why shouldn't he get a scholarship if he EARNED it? Am I getting over $100,000 in "free money" because I was chosen for a scholarship? I get 40K a year, guess I should give that back because my academic achievements don't merit it. I should struggle like the rest of the slackers to pay for my college because I didn't feel the need to give it my all in high school. I damn well deserved it- as well as the scholarships I got to study in MEXICO and now in the UK. I plan on returning to the UK for grad school upon which I, like many of my friends, will probably get some financial aid.

There are tons of international students on scholarships to Harvard. If this issue really bothered Harvard, they'd just get him a student visa. It doesn't because it's not an issue. He's not "stealing a place from an American" any more than an international student is.

Harvard is a PRIVATE SCHOOL. They could decide tomorrow that they were only going to accept students from Mongolia and what then? The scholarship granting body is also a private organization.

For those of you complaining about how you can't pay for your college or your children's college- who is to blame? Don't misplace blame on this student who obviously worked hard just because of his parentage. He didn't choose to come here and, if he's like any of my illegal friends who came here as a small child and worked hard here, he has no connection to Mexico. I had more of a connection to Mexico than most of my friends! He worked for that scholarship- why did you or your kids? At my high school, the kids who worked hard invariably got a full scholarship SOMEWHERE. The kids who didn't, well, they were on their own.
Don't try to inject common sense and logic in this discussion. Some see or here the word illegal immigrant and all sense of logic shuts off.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,255 times
You are idiot! He got into Harvard because he deserved it. For all Ivy schools, it does not matter if you got “papers” or not. I am glad that he got that opportunity. If by any chance your plan succeeds –which I hope not; he would be deported to Mexico, but he would also be back in Harvard the next day with a student visa. The American consulate cannot deny him a student visa because Harvard is covering all the expensive. Spend your time doing something productive, you stupid.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 PM

443 posts, read 1,071,076 times
Um...undocumented teens get into college and talk about it on radio and TV programs all the time. They use their real names and we can see what they look like and where they live. If immigration was really going to deport people, they probably wouldn't need your help to do it because they get that info themselves by watching the show.

They don't deport for a number of reasons, some of which I get from a legal standpoint and some of which I don't. Bottom line is, you can't get this kid deported by writing some letter with his details on it, they already have his details. And they don't care. Go cry and then eat some ice cream and feel better.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
Um...undocumented teens get into college and talk about it on radio and TV programs all the time. They use their real names and we can see what they look like and where they live. If immigration was really going to deport people, they probably wouldn't need your help to do it because they get that info themselves by watching the show.

They don't deport for a number of reasons, some of which I get from a legal standpoint and some of which I don't. Bottom line is, you can't get this kid deported by writing some letter with his details on it, they already have his details. And they don't care. Go cry and then eat some ice cream and feel better.
That irks me to no end: if an American were pulling that same stunt in Mexico----------most likely he would wind up in jail somewhere---------and, rightly so.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 AM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Kele, I respect most of your posts and what you have posted here is fact. However, it is not the most current information. I realize we do have a problem with illegal immigration and we need to deal with that. I also believe that we will need to revise and rewrite our 14th Amendment sometime in the near future. However, I dont see this happening until the illegal immigration issue is resolved.

Until then, The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 still stands.
We keep hearing about unjust laws, well, Illlegals have turned the 14th upside down and will force us to modify it. That alone would be enough to stem the raging river of Illegals.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That irks me to no end: if an American were pulling that same stunt in Mexico----------most likely he would wind up in jail somewhere---------and, rightly so.
Liberal universities eat up this kind of drivel. No wonder they were fighting each other over this 'prize'. Being an illegal alien probably counts for 1,000 points on their admissions scale. Now that he is there the faculty can invite him to fancy parties and congratulate themselves on their open mindedness or whatever, while living at least 12 miles away from the nearest clown house infested, garbage strewn neighborhood. No doubt he will give lectures to the his fellow students on the unfairness of his familia's situation.
The bottom line is that Harvard probably turns away many,many equally qualified applicants while this guy's illegalness makes him real special in their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or