U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2009, 07:01 AM

16,002 posts, read 14,476,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
i don't have a problem with immigrants retaining their ancestoral language but there is a time a place for everything. Ancestoral languages are best spoken in the home. Out in mainstream America speak the language of this country which is English. it is just plain rude and disrespectful not to do so. Spanish speakers are the worst offenders.
In this suburb (Richardson, just north of Dallas) you are as likely to hear Mandarin or Cantonese, or various Indian languages being spoken in public as you are to hear Spanish. The difference between the Spanish-speaking businesses and the Chinese/southern Asian businesses is that the Chinese/southern Asian establishments can serve you in English effortlessly. I shop at a couple of southern Asian food stores and sometimes have lunch at local Chinese restaurants and have only doubted once if someone could understand me. When I go to places where it is wall to wall Spanish speakers, I am never sure if they understand me, and sometimes I am forced to repeat myself in Spanish just to make sure.

This is the United States. Speak English!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 3,566,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In this suburb (Richardson, just north of Dallas) you are as likely to hear Mandarin or Cantonese, or various Indian languages being spoken in public as you are to hear Spanish. The difference between the Spanish-speaking businesses and the Chinese/southern Asian businesses is that the Chinese/southern Asian establishments can serve you in English effortlessly. I shop at a couple of southern Asian food stores and sometimes have lunch at local Chinese restaurants and have only doubted once if someone could understand me. When I go to places where it is wall to wall Spanish speakers, I am never sure if they understand me, and sometimes I am forced to repeat myself in Spanish just to make sure.

Funny, in many affluent suburbs here in California (Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, Irvine) many Asian shop owners are first generation. Many times they have a tenious grasp of the English language. Which is okay, since they are trying. Most Hispanics I meet (in middle class suburban Los Angeles) speak English (again to various degrees). To save money, I'd drive to the Mexican grocery store...and even there I never a problem. I don't speak one word of Spanish (okay I can say "where is the bathroom" or "I speak English" but that's it).

It takes time to learn a new language. Frankly, each generation speaks English at a higher rate. That's progress. That also needs to be taken into consideration in this debate.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM

914 posts, read 1,012,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
Did your college age child get a scholarship for being LEGAL???

-----

Undocumented Student at Harvard on $50,000 Scholarship - NAM

Feb 11, 2009

Los Angeles—Juan Hernandez-Campos, an undocumented who completed his first semester at Harvard University, has been awarded a $50,000 per year scholarship Hernandez-Campos, who was born in Guadalajara, Mexico. There are universities and private foundations that award scholarships to distinguished students, regardless of their immigration status.

----

In my opinion, now, that we know who he is and where he is, how can we deport him? That money belongs to an American child for education and not an illegal aliens. This illegal alien will make a fine addition to his home town of Guadalajara, Mexico. I'm sure they have colleges in Mexico. We must have him deported immediately. If the organization wants to fund his education in Mexico that would be fine.

Deport All Illegal aliens:

Juan Hernandez-Campos an illegal alien from Guadalajara, Mexico will be attending school at Harvard.

This organization needs to be raided, “After School All Stars,” a national after school educational and recreational program designed to keep youth out of trouble.

His father needs to be checked to see if he's an illegal alien, if he is then he needs to be deported too, "he crossed the border nine years ago to be with his father."

Call Harvard and complain, the illegal alien is illegally taking a space where an legal American should be!

Harvard General Information :

Primary address:
Massachusetts Hall
Cambridge, MA 02138

Tel: 617.495.1000

Admissions and Aid Information :
Undergraduate»
Tel: 617.495.1551; Fax: 617.495.8821

Harvard University Office of News & Public Affairs»
Tel: 617.495.1585

Public Safety :
Harvard University Police Department»
Tel: 617.495.1215 (non-emergency)

Harvard home :
Tel: 617.495.1585

If he earned it he earned it right? There are tons of losers that go to that school on a dime of their parents and drop out. I know a few of them. He could probably excel further than you guys.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,622,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
If he earned it he earned it right? There are tons of losers that go to that school on a dime of their parents and drop out. I know a few of them. He could probably excel further than you guys.
What is your point? I am definitely not college material so your (barely) veiled derogatory comment is moot in my case.

That stated: better an American 'loser' receiving a scholarship than an illegal alien AKA a criminal loser who obviously is not good enough to succeed in his/her own nation.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 162,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
LOL, couldn't have said it better. Kudos to him if he is that smart to get to harvard in the first place.
Great point. That kid will add more to the mix in the long run than good ole vlad.

Besides, Harvard is private and can give their money to whoever they want to. Unless vald is a student at Harvard, he isn't part of the "we" he keeps referring to.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

This one is easy - don't go to the places that speak Spansih. They will either learn to cater to the english speakers or will lose business. Why do you think the Asian businesses can serve you in english, because someone made them? Of course not, its because they made more money doing it...

Old 09-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
yes mexican.. absolutely.. Even the mexicans don't like the illegals if they are citizens.. i am italian and others are something else.. but when you have over 40 million illegal mexicans in this country, the chances are great they are illegal.. I am not racially profiling anyone.. These are facts.. and no, i am not racist.. so make sure you call ICE 1-866-347-2423 when you see a group of mexicans.. If they are legal, they surely won't mind showing their paperwork, right?
Yes, yes you are a racist. I'm happy this kid (and soon to be Harvard grad) will be here in this great country with me for many years to come.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNY View Post
Yes, yes you are a racist. I'm happy this kid (and soon to be Harvard grad) will be here in this great country with me for many years to come.
Being against illegal aliens is not racist----------never mind that most of them happen to be Spanish speaking Mestizos. I would feel that same way about illegals if 98% were blonde haired, blue eyed Swedes.

Next!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Would you talk on and on about the bad qualities of Blonde, blue eyed Swedes? Would your contributions focus on the Blonde Swedes like it does on Mestizo Mexicans now?
Of course: illegal aliens are all losers and need to be deported from the USA-----------irrespective of actual race/ethnicity.

And you best accept the fact that most illegals are Mexican Mestizos.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 AM

16,002 posts, read 14,476,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
You should really consider the effect preconceived notions might be playing in these situations.
Asians are stereotyped as the "model minority", while Hispanics are often stereotyped with most of the stuff you read on this forum.
For people who don't come in contact with many 1st generation immigrants, and frequent sites like this, they may automatically assume a lot of things about the accented Hispanic, while also assuming a lot of other, less negative things about the accented Asian.
Example, at the Chinese restaurant, you don't "doubt" whether or not they understand you.
At the Mexican place, you're never "sure" if they understand you.

You may have two different feelings toward those groups, and that may influence how you see the situation.

There are many Hispanic places where the person serving you might not speak the best English. But I think I'm pretty safe to say that there are a lot more Asian places that will not speak much English either. But most Hispanic businesses speak English.

The Asian community is a lot more self-reliant than most, and many businesses only cater to their community. I don't believe the Hispanic community is nearly as isolated as the Asian immigrant community.

But that could be just in California and the southwest...
I am only sharing my experiences. There are plenty of elderly Chinese people in Richardson brought over by their kids on family visas who speak little to no English. However, they are not the ones taking your order at the local Chinese restaurant. A lot of these business owners are first generation immigrants and speak English with a heavy accent, but the point is that they do speak English. They do understand English. They get the order right every time, even when I make substitutions.

When I have gone to businesses staffed by first generation Hispanic immigrants, whether it is the local Subway or a Hispanic-owned business, a lot of the time the staff there are speaking to each other in Spanish and seem to not understand what I am saying to them. I can order my sandwich at Subway in Spanish as easily as I can in English, and I usually have to switch to Spanish when the person behind the counter does not understand words like "cucumber" or "turkey".

It has nothing to do with negative or positive feelings towards these people or ethnic stereotypes. This is pure experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration