U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Well he is probably legal now, I'm sure an institution like Harvard can work something out with the USCIS, so this discussion is irrelevant. NEWSFLASH: Some illegal people do become legal residents and citizens eventually. It's not like you can send to jail or deport everybody that was illegal at some point in their lives. Once they are legally here there is nothing you can do about it, except maybe express your frustration in the city data forums.
We are discussing people who are presently illegal----------they still have the same rights at best as other criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2009, 12:55 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASActuary View Post
His capabilities are not an issue here, and neither is his race. The issue is that he entered this country illegally and should be deported. There are legal avenues to gain entry into the US, he should have followed them. Any other argument or opinion does not change the fact that he broke the law and should have to deal with the punishment.
I did not mention race. The issue is his capability, however. Harvard is a private institution with a specific set of requirements...which he met. Laws are not immutable. If the system is program, laws need to be changed accordingly to the new situation at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,079 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
There are many people from foreign countries that attend Harvard, however, they get student visas to do so first.

What I do not get is if this guy is smart enough to get into Harvard why doesn't he just work out a student visa rather then break the law? Can any of y'all illegal immigrant apologists explain why he doesn't do this?

As to the scholarship so long as the organization or individuals themselves are not violating the law, they have every right to do what they want with their money. They could use $100 notes as rolling paper for all I care.
Dont you think He would if He could. Why do you guys insist about talking about something that you know nothing about. You guys are just talking out of rage. if he came here with his family when he was young and applied for a green car and got denied, he cannot apply for a student visa later on.
What gives us the right to get treated better than this kid. He worked is butt of to get a better future and we are going to ***** slap him for doing so?
If this was an american in england doing the same, I'd like to see your exact same reactions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:44 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant: Hernandez is a criminal-----------slots in especially Ivy League schools are for Americans and/or foreigners here legally.
Very relevant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,232,652 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Quite to the contrary,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant: Hernandez is a criminal-----------slots in especially Ivy League schools are for Americans and/or foreigners here legally.

This kid is no criminal, he is probably a genius and a pretty good kid.
Brains know no borders. They just occur and need not be wasted. Our valedictorian could not even get accepted there, you must posess
a first class intellect to gain entry there.
Reminds me of the pseudo-debate of whether or not Obama can be president. Einstein immigrated here too. Was his case criminalized. He should have been deported? When did he overstay his visa?
What was your g-granparents status? "Did the pilgrims have visas?"
(a quote by ex-gov. Jesse Ventura, still on youtube), on the social status of
immigrants) .
Ex-Governor Anne Richards was an irrepressible politician too. Remember her statement at the democratic convention of 1992.

When asked on Larry Larry King Live about an english only language law for this country, ex-gov. Ann Richardson paused for two or three seconds
and replied, quote," Well if English was good enough for Jesus Christ then it is good enough for me."
There is nothing holy about english, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,719,959 times
Reputation: 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by udksht View Post
Dont you think He would if He could. Why do you guys insist about talking about something that you know nothing about. You guys are just talking out of rage. if he came here with his family when he was young and applied for a green car and got denied, he cannot apply for a student visa later on.
What gives us the right to get treated better than this kid. He worked is butt of to get a better future and we are going to ***** slap him for doing so?
If this was an american in england doing the same, I'd like to see your exact same reactions!!
There are four words I am going to spell out because I do not think you understand them...HE BROKE THE LAW end of story. As to an American in England I was there I did that and I got a visa to do that. One of my roomates also on that program received a visa to study there, but not a visa to intern there. Guess what rather then breaking British law and just interning anyway she just stayed in the dorm and did course work when we all did internships I told her it sucked, but she made the right decision not to break British law.

As to your question "What gives us the right to get treated better than this kid." Let me pose another question what gives him the right to be treated better then the many other qualified foreigners who attend Harvard who go through the visa process? And once more what makes him better then others who are qualified and go though the legal process, but for whatever reason do not have the ability to get a student visa? When I was interning in London one of my co-interns was a student from the People's Republic of China. He attended The London School of Economics and could have and wanted to go to Harvard, but lacked the credentials to get a US visa. Why should a Criminal get a higher preference then him?

You are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about. You in your response made all sorts of unfounded inferences about me and your argument is full of ad hominims and faulty moral appeals simply because you cannot address the fact that a crime is being committed and you do not like what must be done to rectify the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
This kid is no criminal, he is probably a genius and a pretty good kid.
Brains know no borders. They just occur and need not be wasted. Our valedictorian could not even get accepted there, you must posess
a first class intellect to gain entry there.
Reminds me of the pseudo-debate of whether or not Obama can be president. Einstein immigrated here too. Was his case criminalized. He should have been deported? When did he overstay his visa?
What was your g-granparents status? "Did the pilgrims have visas?"
(a quote by ex-gov. Jesse Ventura, still on youtube), on the social status of
immigrants) .
Ex-Governor Anne Richards was an irrepressible politician too. Remember her statement at the democratic convention of 1992.

When asked on Larry Larry King Live about an english only language law for this country, ex-gov. Ann Richardson paused for two or three seconds
and replied, quote," Well if English was good enough for Jesus Christ then it is good enough for me."
There is nothing holy about english, either.
All irrelevant there.

We are now a sovereign nation and have the right to control our borders. If that offends you that much; you are free to leave the USA. The past is of historical signficance only.

Frankly; what you just said would get you in a lot of trouble in Mexico and; if not a citizen of same.........you would probably be arrested/abused then deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
All irrelevant there.

We are now a sovereign nation and have the right to control our borders. If that offends you that much; you are free to leave the USA. The past is of historical signficance only.

Frankly; what you just said would get you in a lot of trouble in Mexico and; if not a citizen of same.........you would probably be arrested/abused then deported.
Talking head...no substance.

The North Koreans are big into torture...should we follow their lead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,845,986 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again: if Hernandez was here illegally; a jail cell would be a more fitting place than inside an American classroom prior to his deportation/ban from the USA for 10 years.
Put a kid in jail for being the top of his class in high school and being smart enough to get into Harvard.

There's something SERIOUSLY wrong with you if you actually think this way.
Have you seen that thread on how Iran and North Korea treat "illegal immigrants"? Well, from your words, you think America should be just like North Korea and Iran.

And you call yourself an American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,845,986 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASActuary View Post
His capabilities are not an issue here, and neither is his race. The issue is that he entered this country illegally and should be deported. There are legal avenues to gain entry into the US, he should have followed them. Any other argument or opinion does not change the fact that he broke the law and should have to deal with the punishment.
As a 10 year old? The kid has been in the country since he was a kid. He's not some 26 year old drug smuggler, he's a kid who was at the top of his AMERICAN high school class.

You people really have something unhinged to actually want to kick this brilliant kid out of our country. Why don't we go to Santee and find 50 meth-addicted white boys, lock them up for 10 years and then kick them out of the country? Oh wait, they're better than Juan because they were born in America and they have white skin. I forgot. That automatically makes me better than Juan because I'm white and born in America.

I'd rather have 50,000 Ivy League Educated Juans in this country illegally than the millions of meth heads, high school dropouts and old rednecks that roam our cities and towns.

America is a country of immigrants, the best and brightest should be welcomed with open arms. Instead of crying about how "it's not fair!" and saying that he took a scholarship from a more deserving kid (he didn't), why not try and figure out how to help this kid become a "real" American. Would our country be worse off if we had another genius?

Make no mistake. In today's competitive environment, Harvard only takes absolutely brilliant kids with a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top