U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:18 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,247,607 times
Reputation: 1536

Advertisements

Paraphrasing yourself or others is not valid, it is a dead end.
If that is all you have to exchange in the way of countering
alright, that is all you have got. And, I understand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Like the passive resistance that Ghandi and King did against blatant discrimination their mere presence is a force to be reckoned with.
The marches, sit ins at luch counters etc. all were illegal.
They were all unjust laws. So they were broken.
Worst of all was the denial of the vote to blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:33 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,247,607 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Check your own history,not mine,

It had to be done, it was immoral and politically had nothing to do with public opinion. The southern senate voting bloc (Richard Russsel) and their allies would never have let pass any civil rights legislation without LBJ's forcing of their hand.
After Ghandi's salt march the British realized it was futile to try to subjugate the entire sub-continent. It was over. They knew it.
King's marches signaled an end to the toleration of mistreatment by blacks. They would have gone on and on. The hand was forced on LBJ,
he hated the rioting and marches but they had to be dealt with.
It was nearing a civil insurrection.
Then LBJ went further, with voting rights , and two civil right acts,
affirmative action, child lunches, medicare, clean air and water,
federal student loans, and funds for PBS and NPR public broadcasting.
Amerca's own brand of aparthied had been ended by a southerner.
Over one hundred laws, a legislative avalanche brought about by LBJ,
a southerner, to forever change the face of this country. Was it a revolution? No I do not think that is too strong of a word to use,
it was one.
Anything else you want to know , just ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Please check your history:

Both King and Ghandi help turn public opinion against Jim Crow and British domination.

Flip side here: those illegal iimmigrants' rights' marches here in May 2006 enraged many Americans and turned us against any sort of amnesty for illegal aliens. As it is; the hostility is growing agaist illegals as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
It had to be done, it was immoral and politically had nothing to do with public opinion. The southern senate voting bloc (Richard Russsel) and their allies would never have let pass any civil rights legislation without LBJ's forcing of their hand.
After Ghandi's salt march the British realized it was futile to try to subjugate the entire sub-continent. It was over. They knew it.
King's marches signaled an end to the toleration of mistreatment by blacks. They would have gone on and on. The hand was forced on LBJ,
he hated the rioting and marches but they had to be dealt with.
It was nearing a civil insurrection.
Then LBJ went further, with voting rights , and two civil right acts,
affirmative action, child lunches, medicare, clean air and water,
federal student loans, and funds for PBS and NPR public broadcasting.
Amerca's own brand of aparthied had been ended by a southerner.
Over one hundred laws, a legislative avalanche brought about by LBJ,
a southerner, to forever change the face of this country. Was it a revolution? No I do not think that is too strong of a word to use,
it was one.
Anything else you want to know , just ask.
Well: guess what; if a bunch of illegals try another series of asinine demonstrations like they did in 2006-----------I can all but guarantee that there will be open hostility by the American people against those losers especially in this severe recession. About the only thing keeping out of work US citizens from rioting is unemployment benefits.

Face it: what is going is indeed comparable to the Civil Rights Movement of another era--------------in reverse. Even American Blacks now want illegals out of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,247,607 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Oh?

It does not shatter any argument because -you- state it is so.
Yes, it is true there are no native American Humans only some that got here first. There is no argument here by the way, only a counterpoint.
SO I suppose that Comumbus did not truly "Discover America" did he ?
I think Reagan was the first to make that quote about the plucky Italian.
If not he should have been.
I won't roll my eyes over here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
There are no true indigenous peoples here in the New World------------all of us originated in E Africa 60K years ago. Besides: not all of the Indians came here at the same time so that also shatters your argument.

As for the rest of your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,247,607 times
Reputation: 1536
Default I did not male up these laws,

My best to you and your dad, I did not means to say that no others
were let to come, just an extreme favoring of some. Lots of Italians too
but compared to Poles ,Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, yes.
To each his own, good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
WRONG!

My father came here legally from Hungary back in 1951 so that blows your line of BS into the weeds. Besides; many a Hungarian came here prior to 1965.

Needless to say: I would love to see the USA revert to pre 1965 immigration rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
-----

To Aid or Abet is to actively, knowingly or intentionally assist another person in the commission or attempted commission of a crime, such as illegally entering our country without permission or knowledge, housing them, transporting them or employing them.
The Law

1. It is 'aiding or abetting' to "encourage or induce an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law." 8U.S.C. 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv).

2. It is 'aiding or abetting' to "conceal or attempt to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, illegal aliens, including any building or any means of transportation.
8 U.S.C. 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv).

3. It is also 'aiding or abetting' to "engage in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts." 8 U.S.C. 1324 (a)(1)(A)(v)(I).

4. It is a felony to 'aid or abet' in the commission of the above acts.
8 U.S.C. 1324(a)(1)(A)(v)(II).
This says it all for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,590,837 times
Reputation: 1270
The only problem I see about this is that he is knowingly an illegal immigrant. Meaning, he shouldn't even be allowed to remain in this country to go to school. As for the scholarship, if it is privately-funded, I could care less, good for him. However, the issue is that this is a snowball. He goes to school and is excused of the fact that he is actually here undocumented. And yes, someone who IS legal could have been in his spot in Harvard. We know it is a competitive school, so every spot counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Arkansas
125 posts, read 181,147 times
Reputation: 92
I saw a supposed cartoon awhile back and when I went in to pay the crooks,( I mean the IRS), I thought of it.
What I should do is to go to Mexico and become a citizen and then sneak back into the USA and get housing,education, medical ect. all for free.
I am getting tired of paying so that Americans can sit on their collective asses and draw welfare let alone ILLEGALS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,094,154 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
The only problem I see about this is that he is knowingly an illegal immigrant. Meaning, he shouldn't even be allowed to remain in this country to go to school. As for the scholarship, if it is privately-funded, I could care less, good for him. However, the issue is that this is a snowball. He goes to school and is excused of the fact that he is actually here undocumented. And yes, someone who IS legal could have been in his spot in Harvard. We know it is a competitive school, so every spot counts.
Foreign students attend Harvard, are you saying they are taking places from Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Foreign students attend Harvard, are you saying they are taking places from Americans?
Said foreign students are in the USA legally; there is a difference between green card/visa holders and illegal aliens........despite both not being US citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top