U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2010, 03:11 PM
 
72 posts, read 159,893 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Non sense, it shows the problem with the american immigration system. We allow people willing to break the law with no education to live here legally, but we willingly turn away illegal aliens who might make a positive contribution to america. If he got into harvard he must have had some intelligence. we should be deporting the stupid illegals in gangs, not the smart ones trying to make something decent of themselves.

I can't blame illegals for coming here, some parts of mexico are a real dump with ZERO chance of advancedment no matter how hard you work, sure it seems easy to just say they should go back to their country but if you knew an illegal on a personal level you would realize it is an absurdly ignorant argument. The average mexican is better off living in an american prison than on the streets of mexico where there is no law, or government, or chance of advancement. You can at least get food and a degree in jail, if your poor and in mexico, there is not much chance for you, no opportunity, your stuck, no rational person born into that would choose to stay there. I'm not saying its right, but no one would let their 3 y/o son drink dirty chemical water from a jean plant when they can go live in a country with clean water and chance of education.

I said it once and I ll say it again, america should absorb mexico, they are a security threat we can never control the entire border or all the people crossing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,994,878 times
Reputation: 7188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthebattherat View Post
Non sense, it shows the problem with the american immigration system. We allow people willing to break the law with no education to live here legally, but we willingly turn away illegal aliens who might make a positive contribution to america. If he got into harvard he must have had some intelligence. we should be deporting the stupid illegals in gangs, not the smart ones trying to make something decent of themselves.

I can't blame illegals for coming here, some parts of mexico are a real dump with ZERO chance of advancedment no matter how hard you work, sure it seems easy to just say they should go back to their country but if you knew an illegal on a personal level you would realize it is an absurdly ignorant argument. The average mexican is better off living in an american prison than on the streets of mexico where there is no law, or government, or chance of advancement. You can at least get food and a degree in jail, if your poor and in mexico, there is not much chance for you, no opportunity, your stuck, no rational person born into that would choose to stay there. I'm not saying its right, but no one would let their 3 y/o son drink dirty chemical water from a jean plant when they can go live in a country with clean water and chance of education.

I said it once and I ll say it again, america should absorb mexico, they are a security threat we can never control the entire border or all the people crossing it.
While I appreciate what you've written, the bottomline is Mexico has a decent economy and jobs for those who are educated, connected, or come from money. It's easier/less expensive for them to let the lower class poor slip away and become the US's problem than it is to take care of their own.

FWIW La Raza would sooner see Mexico absorb a portion of the US, and the illegals coming in are doing a good job (perhaps unwittingly?) of undermining portions of our social programs, as well as dividing our citizens.

Divide and conquer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
While I appreciate what you've written, the bottomline is Mexico has a decent economy and jobs for those who are educated, connected, or come from money. It's easier/less expensive for them to let the lower class poor slip away and become the US's problem than it is to take care of their own.

FWIW La Raza would sooner see Mexico absorb a portion of the US, and the illegals coming in are doing a good job (perhaps unwittingly?) of undermining portions of our social programs, as well as dividing our citizens.

Divide and conquer.
With the way that Mexico is imploding courtesy of the drug wars; it would not surprise me to see the USA pick up at least the northern tier of Mx states (Sonora, Chihuahua, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
 
72 posts, read 159,893 times
Reputation: 47
The only reason why we took over half the western states was because we were being invaded by indians, now we are being invaded by drug smugglers, we need to secure the border, by taking over mexico and wiping out all the drugs there. The border between mexico and its neighbours is smaller so easier to secure than the giant border between us and mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,994,878 times
Reputation: 7188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthebattherat View Post
The only reason why we took over half the western states was because we were being invaded by indians, now we are being invaded by drug smugglers, we need to secure the border, by taking over mexico and wiping out all the drugs there. The border between mexico and its neighbours is smaller so easier to secure than the giant border between us and mexico
Wiping out the drugs in Mexico and bringing in more poor and destitute will only further tax the already overburdened taxpaying citizens. Drugs come in from Mexico as well as other countries; do we do the same to them? Look at how things in Afghanistan are going.

We need to take an aggressive stance on securing the border, deporting illegals and ENFORCING our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
 
5,767 posts, read 10,047,920 times
Reputation: 3809
I think this raises a much wider question of whether or not private institutions (such as a private university) can be expected to enforce US immigration laws.

In the end? Probably not. And to some extent, that has to do with basic standards of privacy and the legal separation between public and private agencies.

Harvard is a private university with its own private endowment (which funds its scholarships). From what I understand, Harvard college (a subsidiary of the university) provides a free education (through grants and private scholarships) to students from families making less than $80,000 per year or so, and extensive subsidies to families making less than double that amount.

As long as Harvard keeps it "within the family" in terms of funding and scholarships, I think they must be free to offer scholarships to whomever they see fit. It is not the government's role to interfere in their internal affairs. I would be terrified of a government capable of doing so.

The immigration law itself is another matter, but Harvard can make its own financial choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,994,878 times
Reputation: 7188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
As long as Harvard keeps it "within the family" in terms of funding and scholarships, I think they must be free to offer scholarships to whomever they see fit. It is not the government's role to interfere in their internal affairs. I would be terrified of a government capable of doing so.

The immigration law itself is another matter, but Harvard can make its own financial choices.

You're right. At this point Harvard need only concern itself with generous alumn who might stop their donations when they realize they are funding people of questionable integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,094,154 times
Reputation: 957
Felipe Calderón Hinojosa (born 1962)2000 - HKSPresident of Mexico[147]
José María Figueres (born 1954)1991 - HKSPresident of Costa Rica[148]
Elbridge Gerry (1744-1814)1762 - CollegeVice President of the United States[149]
Al Gore (born 1948)1969 - CollegeVice President of the United States[150]
Rutherford Hayes (1822-1893)1845 - President of the United States[151]
John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)1940 - CollegePresident of the United States; gave name to Kennedy School of Government[152]
Ban Ki-Moon (born 1944)1984 - HKSSecretary-General of the United Nations[153]
Annette Lu (born 1944)1978 - LawVice President of the Republic of China (Taiwan)[154]
Miguel de la Madrid (born 1934)1965 - President of Mexico[155]
Jamil Mahuad (born 1949)1989 - HKSPresident of Ecuador[156]
George W. Bush (born 1946)1973 - HBSPresident of the United States[157]
Barack Obama (born 1961)1991 - LawPresident of the United States[158]
Michelle Obama (born 1964)1988 - LawFirst Lady of the United States[159]
Sebastián Piñera (born 1949)1976 - PhD in EconomicsPresident of Chile - Elect[160]
Syngman Rhee (1875-1965)1909 - A.M.President of South Korea[161]
Eduardo Rodríguez (born 1956)1988 - HKSPresident of Bolivia[162]
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882-1945)1904 - CollegePresident of the United States[163]
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)1880 - CollegePresident of the United States[164]
Carlos Salinas de Gortari (born 1948)1973 - HKS; 1976 A.M.; 1978 Ph.D.President of Mexico[165]
Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf1971 - HKSPresident of Liberia[166]
Sir Donald Tsang (born 1944)1982 - HKSChief Executive of Hong Kong[167]
Álvaro Uribe (born 1953)1993 - ExtensionPresident of Colombia[168]
Ma Ying-Jeou (born 1950)1981 - S.J.D.President of the Republic of China (Taiwan)[169]
Anibal Acevedo Vila (born 1962)L.L.M 1987Governor State of Puerto Rico[170]


Heads of government

NameClass yearNotabilityReference
Benazir Bhutto (1953-2007)College 1973Prime Minister of Pakistan[171]
Lee Hsien Loong (born 1952)HKS 1980Prime Minister of Singapore[172]
William Lyon Mackenzie King (born 1874)A.M. 1898; Ph.D. 1909Prime Minister of Canada[173]
Fan Noli (1882-1965)College 1912Prime Minister of Albania[174]
Andreas Papandreou (1919-1996)A.M. 1942; Ph.D. 1943; lecturer and associate professorPrime Minister of Greece[175]
Edward Seaga (born 1930)College 1952Prime Minister of Jamaica[176]
Frederick Sumaye (born 1950)HKS 2007Prime Minister of Tanzania[177]
Pierre Trudeau (1919-2000)HKS 1945Prime Minister of Canada[178]
Gro Harlem Brundtland (born 1939)Master of Public Health - 1965Prime Minister of Norway

Last edited by 1751texan; 03-14-2010 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Reputation: 453
What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,994,878 times
Reputation: 7188
I believe it is either a list of people of questionable integrity, or a list of Harvard alumn who were either US Citizens, or who were foreign students here with legal student Visas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top