U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The scholarship was given regardless of immigration status, so i'm sure there are tons of scholarships out there that intelligent, hardworking american students can apply for. I don't think anyone on this board contributed to this scholarship fund so stop acting like it's your money.
And that's just fine; If the schools want to give out scholarships to anyone they want, they should be able to. The student would be able to use that scholarship just as soon as that student can immigrate legally. Otherwise, he should be put back on the bus for his country. Immigration laws need enforced; period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
And that's just fine; If the schools want to give out scholarships to anyone they want, they should be able to. The student would be able to use that scholarship just as soon as that student can immigrate legally. Otherwise, he should be put back on the bus for his country. Immigration laws need enforced; period.
Well stated. Bravo

Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Harvard doesn't enforce immigration laws do they? Besides, I.C.E has bigger fish to fry than worry about deporting this kid.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
I canít help but wonder which organization offered this scholarship, and how they receive their funding. If a private citizen wishes to finance the college education of an illegal, so be it. However, if he has received a scholarship from contributions from U.S. citizens or taxpayers, or was selected due to his ďminorityĒ status, then we have a serious problem.

I applaud anyone who excels in school. However, we should not provide illegal aliens with college scholarships. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing preventing him from receiving his education here, and leaving upon graduation. How would that benefit this country?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 AM

281 posts, read 383,928 times
Quote:
But to be fair, I think either college is free for everybody or only Americans can apply for American scholarships.
Why do you feel entitled to dictate what other people do with their money? It's not taxpayers money, it's from private institutions and you have no say in what they do with it whatsoever.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
^^Sour grapes.
No kidding, hahah.
Maybe she should hit up the source of the scholarship.
"I'm a middle aged AMERICAN student! Gimme gimme gimme!"

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I can’t help but wonder which organization offered this scholarship, and how they receive their funding. If a private citizen wishes to finance the college education of an illegal, so be it. However, if he has received a scholarship from contributions from U.S. citizens or taxpayers, or was selected due to his “minority” status, then we have a serious problem.

I applaud anyone who excels in school. However, we should not provide illegal aliens with college scholarships. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing preventing him from receiving his education here, and leaving upon graduation. How would that benefit this country?
If he's lived here since he was 9, why's he suddenly going to leave?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Why can you not see past race/ethnicity and realize that people are angry BECAUSE of the fact that he's an illegal alien who has no right to receive an education in a country that he intentionally entered illegally? Please explain.
Antireconquista, huh?
So who do you guys accuse of reconquista on a regular basis anyway? The Chinese?'

And he "intentionally entered illegally" at the age of 9?
Damn! This kid is impressing me even more!
I didn't leave my home until I was 18, and this kid was changing countries on his own before he was 10!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
If he's lived here since he was 7, why's he suddenly going to leave?
For the same reason legal residents leave. Are you privy to his future plans? If not, you donít know where he may decide to live. After all, heíll be equipped with a degree from Harvard.

Considering our tanking economy, who knows what condition this country will be in by the time he graduates. If heís like most illegals, he certainly wonít have any gratitude for the generosity and opportunities he has been afforded by this country.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
For the same reason legal residents leave. Are you privy to his future plans? If not, you donít know where he may decide to live. After all, heíll be equipped with a degree from Harvard.

Considering our tanking economy, who knows what condition this country will be in by the time he graduates. If heís like most illegals, he certainly wonít have any gratitude for the generosity and opportunities he has been afforded by this country.
You're making a whole lot of assumptions for the negative, of course.
He's not a day laborer who showed up last week.
This kid GREW UP in the U.S.
I'd assume this is the country he knows, and he's going to want to live here instead of some country he more than likely doesn't even remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or