Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Why do you underestimate yourself? Why do you allow yourself to let this issue turn into prejudice?
So what if most illegals are Hispanic? Most Hispanics are not illegal! You guys talks so lovingly about legal immigrants, which Hispanics make the majority of. But you don't talk so glowingly about legal Hispanics. It's always legal others. Legal Europeans, Asians.

Challenge yourself. Don't so easily give into prejudice and ethnic bias.
Illegal alien Hispanics are a slap in the face of those Mexicans, etc. who played it by the rules to immigrate to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,904,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Illegal alien Hispanics are a slap in the face of those Mexicans, etc. who played it by the rules to immigrate to the USA.
Right, because they love oh so much how you call their culture a culture of corruption and crime...

Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Right, because they love oh so much how you call their culture a culture of corruption and crime...
I can safely say that legal Hispanics as a group are much more likely to 'follow the rules' of American culture.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Honestly. The sympathy isn't too convincing after many other remarks, comments. I think it's more of a slap in the face to make no effort to differentiate between illegal immigrants and the Hispanic community, and going as far to insult the culture and people themselves. Even those that are American.
Too little, too late, Arizona.
I stand by my statements.

The putative 'Hispanic' race card does not work on me.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I can safely say that legal Hispanics as a group are much more likely to 'follow the rules' of American culture.
That's good that you kind of changed your position. My question now is that did this illegal immigrants "follow the rules of American culture"? He did get into Harvard with a scholarship, thus entering into the pantheon of American academia. Shouldn't this achievement be rewarded?

In the past you called Hispanics as having a 3rd world mentality...this was irrespective of legality. It appears to more than just me that the above might be backtracking on your previous remarks.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
That's good that you kind of changed your position. My question now is that did this illegal immigrants "follow the rules of American culture"? He did get into Harvard with a scholarship, thus entering into the pantheon of American academia. Shouldn't this achievement be rewarded?

In the past you called Hispanics as having a 3rd world mentality...this was irrespective of legality. It appears to more than just me that the above might be backtracking on your previous remarks.
I still stand by what I stated............too many Latinos as a group (factoring in illegals and their Anchors) do indeed have a Third World mentality, overshadowing the true blue Americans of 'Hispanic' heritage. Face it: the latter cohort do not bring negative attention on themselves hence are 'invisible'.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I still stand by what I stated............too many Latinos as a group (factoring in illegals and their Anchors) do indeed have a Third World mentality, overshadowing the true blue Americans of 'Hispanic' heritage. Face it: the latter cohort do not bring negative attention on themselves hence are 'invisible'.
So you are ethnocentrist?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
So you are ethnocentrist?
If you consider my feeling that 'WASP'* culture is the gold standard of the USA-------------of course

*anymore a WASP can be of any ancestral race or ethnicity.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Given the dropout rate among Hispanics, I'm sure Juan was desperately needed and welcomed so that these Ivies could fill their commitment to "diversity". Isn't it a shame that an American-born Hispanic wasn't available? As for what happens after he graduates, well, Juan will still be here illegally and will be unable to work legally in his field. There is no way for him to legalize without returning to Mexico, given that he entered without inspection. The DREAM Act is his only hope, one that's strung along other illegal alien college grads for more than 8 years. Ain't going to happen.

By the way, concerning "ethnocentrism", I read an article about Juan on another site where he speaks of going to college to help his "community". Talk about ethnocentrism!! That's precisely why illegal aliens will not get amnesty. They came here concerned only for THEIR wants, violating our laws and even jumping ahead of legal immigrants. A worse case of selfishness I can't think of.

Last edited by Yac; 10-29-2009 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: 2 posts in a row merged

Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,032 times
Quote:
Last year, while applying to universities, Hernandez- Campos learned that there are universities and private foundations that award scholarships to distinguished students, regardless of their immigration status. He was accepted at 15 universities, seven 7 of which offered him full scholarships.
Wow! Sounds like the kid must be very bright! A real go-getter pulling himself up by the bootstraps. Good for him. I wish him all the success in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration