Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
If he is, then I clearly said he deserves to be there. But where are the articles in his defense SHOWING he is eminently qualified and of Harvard calibre? I doubt that he is.

Your second statement is foolish. The white elite has ALWAYS attended Harvard. My POINT, since you seemed to have missed it, is that there are precious few scholarships for white students of average or little means to attend but there are a plethora of scholarships for minorities. The Ivy League and its benefactors discriminate against low- and middle-income white students as, to meet their "diversity" quotas, they provide scholarships to low- and middle-income minority students instead.
Why do you doubt that he is? Why? Based on what?

Apparently, he got into, and completed a semester at Harvard before the scholarship in question was even awarded to him.
Why should there be articles defending whether or not he was qualified to get into the school?
That's not even in question! The problem people have is that someone gave him a scholarship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
An illegal alien doesn't deserve to be in this country.
Heh, there's one thing worse than this case. It's the do-dos who brought one of the leaders of the Taliban to Yale on a full scholarship. The Taliban guy is the one shown prominently in Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9-11 film, telling a congresswoman that she's too assertive and her husband needs to keep her in line.

Yep, THERE'S a worthy scholarship recipient for the Ivy League!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 349,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Heh, there's one thing worse than this case. It's the do-dos who brought one of the leaders of the Taliban to Yale on a full scholarship. The Taliban guy is the one shown prominently in Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9-11 film, telling a congresswoman that she's too assertive and her husband needs to keep her in line.

Yep, THERE'S a worthy scholarship recipient for the Ivy League!
Our politicians need to be kicked in the ass and put under a microscope! We need to vote every one of them out of office.
Career Politician = Career Criminal

Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Why do you doubt that he is? Why? Based on what?

Apparently, he got into, and completed a semester at Harvard before the scholarship in question was even awarded to him.
Why should there be articles defending whether or not he was qualified to get into the school?
That's not even in question! The problem people have is that someone gave him a scholarship.
Based on the fact that universities have separate, LOWER standards of admission for minorities than they do for white students. I know this for a FACT. I was a high school teacher who took the students to meet with recruiters from a plethora of universities. The Hispanic students were admitted to Michigan State University, for example, with an SAT score of 800 under a special program. Everyone else had to achieve a score of AT LEAST 1160 to even be considered for a spot and there was no guarantee they'd be admitted.

My top Hispanic students were INSULTED by this and told the recruiter that they found the policy demeaning to them because its implications were that they were inferior and couldn't achieve on an equal basis.

Now, if organizations are giving illegal immigrants scholarships of $50K a year and they're being admitted under a much lower standard, it's particularly repulsive.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Did your college age child get a scholarship for being LEGAL???

-----

Undocumented Student at Harvard on $50,000 Scholarship - NAM

Feb 11, 2009

Los Angeles—Juan Hernandez-Campos, an undocumented who completed his first semester at Harvard University, has been awarded a $50,000 per year scholarship Hernandez-Campos, who was born in Guadalajara, Mexico. There are universities and private foundations that award scholarships to distinguished students, regardless of their immigration status.

----

In my opinion, now, that we know who he is and where he is, how can we deport him? That money belongs to an American child for education and not an illegal aliens. This illegal alien will make a fine addition to his home town of Guadalajara, Mexico. I'm sure they have colleges in Mexico. We must have him deported immediately. If the organization wants to fund his education in Mexico that would be fine.

Deport All Illegal aliens:

Juan Hernandez-Campos an illegal alien from Guadalajara, Mexico will be attending school at Harvard.

This organization needs to be raided, “After School All Stars,” a national after school educational and recreational program designed to keep youth out of trouble.

His father needs to be checked to see if he's an illegal alien, if he is then he needs to be deported too, "he crossed the border nine years ago to be with his father."

Call Harvard and complain, the illegal alien is illegally taking a space where an legal American should be!
Give me a break. The guy is at Harvard, it's called being a student. Do you have any idea how many American students study abroad?

Seriously, you are pathetic if you're really complaining about a hard-working kid from Guadalajara who has actually proved that he can make something of himself (finishing a semester at Harvard shows a lot) being in this country, you need to seek some help. It'd be one thing if he was a convicted criminal, but this is a Harvard student who will likely return to Mexico after school and will contribute a ton to their economy.

This is clearly where you nutcases go over the line. A student at one of the top-5 schools in the world is not someone we want to deport, no matter how racist or xenophobic you are.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Give me a break. The guy is at Harvard, it's called being a student. Do you have any idea how many American students study abroad?

Seriously, you are pathetic if you're really complaining about a hard-working kid from Guadalajara who has actually proved that he can make something of himself (finishing a semester at Harvard shows a lot) being in this country, you need to seek some help. It'd be one thing if he was a convicted criminal, but this is a Harvard student who will likely return to Mexico after school and will contribute a ton to their economy.

This is clearly where you nutcases go over the line. A student at one of the top-5 schools in the world is not someone we want to deport, no matter how racist or xenophobic you are.
I'm confident this kid will stay in the US. He's been raised here since he was 9. I hope he makes the effort to become a citizen. He will contribute a lot to our country. We need one of these guys to offset the less ambitious.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, What part of illegal don't you understand? It's you that needs some serious help. All illegal aliens should be deported no matter what age, religion, race or intelligence level. To support any illegal alien invading our our country would be and is treasonist.

I'm sure they have colleges in Guadalajara to attend and he could make his country proud. You would cheat Mexico out of their best and brightest? That would be an asinine thing to do and you are completely selfish and inconsiderate. It's concerned citizens like myself that will safely return little Juan to his rightful owners. As, with all border jumpers his allegiance is with his county of origin, so, he should be educated in his motherland. You should get some counseling for trying to kidnap one of Mexico's brightest and finest minds. That's just criminal!

Last edited by Vlad-The-Impaler; 02-23-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
In my opinion, What part of illegal don't you understand? It's you that needs some serious help. All illegal aliens should be deported no matter what age, religion, race or intelligence level. To support any illegal alien invading our our country would be and is treasonist.

I'm sure they have colleges in Guadalajara to attend and he could make his country proud. You would cheat Mexico out of their best and brightest? That would be an asinine thing to do and you are completely selfish and inconsiderate. It's concerned citizens like myself that will safely return little Juan to his rightful owners. As, with all border jumpers his allegiance is with his county of origin, so, he should be educated in his motherland. You should get some counseling for trying to kidnap one ofMexico's brightest and finest minds. That's just criminal!

Could you be any more simple-minded?

Most bright students will travel quite far for the best education they can get. There are no universities in Mexico that come close to Harvard. Harvard has an endowment of over $25,000,000,000, do you honestly think there's a school in Mexico that compares to Harvard?

When you have an opportunity to go to Harvard, you don't pass it up.

And what part of "student" don't you understand?

Plus, you really need to learn the meaning of Treason. Stop throwing it around just because you're a raging anti-Mexican xenophobe who knows nothing about education, history or even our immigration laws.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have thousands of guys like him, illegal immigrants smart enough to make it through Harvard, than anti-illegal-immigrant bigots who know nothing about economics, law or the simple principles this nation was founded on.

Plus, I guarantee that this guy wont be taking work from you...he's not gonna be working at McDonalds, except maybe as a Corporate VP while you're busy flipping burgers. Maybe you just feel inadequate because he got into Harvard while you probably couldn't get into it if you bribed the admissions department.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe you just feel inadequate because he got into Harvard while you probably couldn't get into it if you bribed the admissions department.
Uh, sorry, but considering that the universities use a separate standard to evaluate "disadvantaged" students like Juan, one with MUCH lower expectations than they have for white students, dang near all of white America would qualify to get in if evaluated as he was. And $50,000 per year? That's a sum no white kid could hope of receiving unless it was in loans.

Juan is NOT a foreign student. That's a different program entirely, with different admissions and funding mechanisms plus negotiated places available. But if you're hell-bent on giving a scholarship that size to an illegal alien, give it to a Chinese student in process here. At least they're legitimately fleeing oppression by coming here and aren't notorious for working our social services system.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Could you be any more simple-minded?

Most bright students will travel quite far for the best education they can get. There are no universities in Mexico that come close to Harvard. Harvard has an endowment of over $25,000,000,000, do you honestly think there's a school in Mexico that compares to Harvard?

When you have an opportunity to go to Harvard, you don't pass it up.

And what part of "student" don't you understand?

Plus, you really need to learn the meaning of Treason. Stop throwing it around just because you're a raging anti-Mexican xenophobe who knows nothing about education, history or even our immigration laws.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have thousands of guys like him, illegal immigrants smart enough to make it through Harvard, than anti-illegal-immigrant bigots who know nothing about economics, law or the simple principles this nation was founded on.

Plus, I guarantee that this guy wont be taking work from you...he's not gonna be working at McDonalds, except maybe as a Corporate VP while you're busy flipping burgers. Maybe you just feel inadequate because he got into Harvard while you probably couldn't get into it if you bribed the admissions department.
He crawled under a fence and swam the Rio Grand, he's an illegal alien. That spot at Harvard belongs at the least to some worthy minority American student. What part of illegal don't you understand? What I do for a living is irrelevant and you don't know what the Hell you're talking about. Obviously you're a Pro-illegal alien sympathizer coddling criminal illegal aliens where ever you can find them. All illegal aliens are criminals only some are more criminal than others.

-----

$12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html

----

$17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration