Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM

167 posts, read 482,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Harvard is a fully private university, funded by a fully private $25,000,000,000 endowment. $200,000 out of $25 billion is not a whole lot (.0008%), and the money had NOTHING to do with the Government.

Again, you people don't understand anything about this situation or the kid. He wasn't a 18 year old who forged papers and came to Harvard under false pretenses. He was a 9 year old who grew up (spent half his life) in the US, and spent four years as the best student at his AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL. He deserved to get into Harvard, and he deserved the scholarship. Nothing you can say will change that.
Then we will agree to disagree.

I understand that we are rewarding breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,960,304 times
I was doing some research about this and found the attached article. I wondered if Harvard was receiving a bunch of money, through some kind gift, if it begins to accept students such as the one being discussed here.

The Bulletin - Philadelphia's Family Newspaper > Archives > News > Nation > Illegal Immigrant Opponent At Harvard (http://www.thebulletin.us/articles/2009/02/18/news/nation/doc499ba852896aa695656834.txt - broken link)

The speaker stated the following: The appearance at Harvard fits well into the goal of our mission,” Mr. Gilchrist said, “to continue bringing national awareness to the consequences of unenforced U.S. immigration laws.”

I wonder why Harvard would set itself up in this conflict situation, or risk harming one of its students who is an illegal alien by hosting this symposium, or perhaps it just doesn't care(?).

Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,343,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I was doing some research about this and found the attached article. I wondered if Harvard was receiving a bunch of money, through some kind gift, if it begins to accept students such as the one being discussed here.

The Bulletin - Philadelphia's Family Newspaper > Archives > News > Nation > Illegal Immigrant Opponent At Harvard (http://www.thebulletin.us/articles/2009/02/18/news/nation/doc499ba852896aa695656834.txt - broken link)

The speaker stated the following: The appearance at Harvard fits well into the goal of our mission,” Mr. Gilchrist said, “to continue bringing national awareness to the consequences of unenforced U.S. immigration laws.”

I wonder why Harvard would set itself up in this conflict situation, or risk harming one of its students who is an illegal alien by hosting this symposium, or perhaps it just doesn't care(?).
No, like all top-level institutions it will allow both sides of the debate to occur on campus. My college had Jerry Springer, Ellis Marsalis, Stephen Jay Gould and Baptist ministers all speak on the same stage. None would preach the same message.

Again, the kid did not break the law, as a 9-year old should not be held responsible for the "crimes" of his parents. All he did was excel more than everyone else at his high school and then succeed at Harvard. Such a criminal. I hope my children are criminals just like him.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM

608 posts, read 1,003,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
No, like all top-level institutions it will allow both sides of the debate to occur on campus. My college had Jerry Springer, Ellis Marsalis, Stephen Jay Gould and Baptist ministers all speak on the same stage. None would preach the same message.

Again, the kid did not break the law, as a 9-year old should not be held responsible for the "crimes" of his parents. All he did was excel more than everyone else at his high school and then succeed at Harvard. Such a criminal. I hope my children are criminals just like him.
Exactly... Forums are to discuss both sides as in pros and cons. Much like how this forum is to be run.
Quote:
“Since its inception almost 400 years ago, Harvard has been a lodestar of free thought and speech. That is why it has cultivated so many extraordinary social, technical, scientific, and philosophical visionaries and innovators.”

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,533,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Exactly... Forums are to discuss both sides as in pros and cons. Much like how this forum is to be run.
Wonderful..I'm sure Harvard has every right to do what they did. It just seems exceedingly odd to me that the ONLY guy they could POSSIBLY find for this slot just HAD to be this guy...no one else, not the child of legal parents...not the child of a Hispanic-American...NOBODY could fill that 'slot' except the child of illegal immigrants.

Noooo...I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world. Not even like a 'scholarship' rewarding the children of Mafiosi, or Ku Klux Klan members..not like THAT....but still..I'm not STUPID....and it just seems to me that someone in this case has gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to send a 'message'..that's all. The ONLY guy deserving of this was the illegally-residing child of lllegal parents?...and I'm supposed to believe they "just picked the most deserving guy"?....PLEASE.

By all means, Harvard....spend your money as you see fit. Understand, however, that in so doing, you risk losing some of your credibility.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:49 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,526,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Wonderful..I'm sure Harvard has every right to do what they did. It just seems exceedingly odd to me that the ONLY guy they could POSSIBLY find for this slot just HAD to be this guy...no one else, not the child of legal parents...not the child of a Hispanic-American...NOBODY could fill that 'slot' except the child of illegal immigrants.

Noooo...I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world. Not even like a 'scholarship' rewarding the children of Mafiosi, or Ku Klux Klan members..not like THAT....but still..I'm not STUPID....and it just seems to me that someone in this case has gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to send a 'message'..that's all. The ONLY guy deserving of this was the illegally-residing child of lllegal parents?...and I'm supposed to believe they "just picked the most deserving guy"?....PLEASE.

By all means, Harvard....spend your money as you see fit. Understand, however, that in so doing, you risk losing some of your credibility.
Thank you!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome !! SHEESH !! why do I keep doing this stuff??

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,736,910 times
Quote:

I don't think they care about losing credibility in the eyes of the narrow minded crowd .

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I don't think they care about losing credibility in the eyes of the narrow minded crowd .
Yes...of course. The narrow-minded; the xenophobes; the racists; the taxpayers; the wage-earners; those who pay their own tuition; That whole "crowd" who expresses misgivings about illegal immigration.(and their "ilk", of course..don't want to forget their ilk).

Narrow-minded...indeed.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-24-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,281,912 times
Quote:
Jealous? Are you SERIOUS? Why on earth would anyone be jealous? I mean a guy comes here illegally, lives here illegally, then takes a much sought-after slot in one of our most prestigious institutions of higher learning, and it's paid for, free and clear, by someone who admires his 'pluck'....and for THIS, you think someone's JEALOUS?

I think you're mistaken. Nobody's jealous...it's a refreshing example of SOMEBODY with enough "moxie" to, in essence, "flip off" the American public and get APPLAUDED for doing so. To watch those legal American "geeks" EAT THEIR HEARTS out, because THEY applied at Harvard, and were rejected. This story is the very ESSENCE of 'screwing the establishment'....and isn't that what we all LOVE?...I mean, REALLY? He fought the system, he 'spit in their eye', and he WON !! What's not to like?

This makes MOST of us no more "jealous" than if someone stole $100 from our billfold, was allowed by the police to KEEP it, took it to Las Vegas and turned it into $2000....and kept that, TOO. Why would anyone be 'jealous' of a guy like that? More power TO him, for being 'creative'.

Jealous? Not most of us....maybe a little concerned is all..

LAWS? Laws are made to be broken....(I mean they ARE...aren't they?)...

The STUDENT should be proud....the DONOR should be proud....and HARVARD should be proud. And if the rest of us are 'jealous', we should be ashamed.
Oh, come onnnnn!.
Are you serious with this?

The kid was brought here at the age of 9, and he completely deserves what he's worked for.

I love how based on this kid's citizenship, which he had no control over(again, brought over at the age of 9), so much more is said about his character when his character is probably not very different than the other students at the school(except he isn't from an affluent white family with old money and legacy getting admission handed to them).
This kid grew up here, hustled his way through school, and is reaping the benefits.
There are plenty of Latinos with excellent grades to choose from if this is a case of affirmative action. PLENTY. This is Harvard. I feel pretty confident to say this kid's academic record and test scores were excellent. They didn't just pick an unqualified Latino student to fill a quota when there's so many qualified Latino students out there.

Are you mad because this kid breaks the typecast? We're more comfortable with our Latino illegals commiting crimes, aren't we?

You sound like those Minuteman/SOS loonies accusing everyone of the worst possible intentions.

It looks like Kele or Benicar took over your account or something.

It's so unbelievable to you guys that a Latino student, much less an illegal Latino student, can get into an Ivy League school without it being rigged, or the student being unqualified. Unbelievable.
Even illegals are human, and can be good students that reach the top. Amazing, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration