Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,299,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
This fall, a jury likely will be empaneled to determine whether Martin Memorial Medical Center was guilty of false imprisonment and kidnapping when it deported Jimenez to his native Guatemala.

Jimenez, an illegal immigrant, was working as a gardener in Stuart when he suffered massive brain trauma in 2000 after the van he was traveling in was struck head-on by a drunk driver.

For the next two-plus years the hospital provided uncompensated medical care for the uninsured Jimenez.

Cost? More than $2 million.

Rich Campbell: Family of injured illegal immigrant shows 'gratitude' by suing hospital? : Columns : TCPalm

Yet another example of those in this country illegally who take kindness for weakness.

Yeah but his credit is f****d now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 12:07 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,842,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I saw a video posted here on CD where a Martin County hospital representative was speaking before Congress about the money being spent on hospital care for illegals. As I recall, the guy had family in the US who didn't want to be responsible for him, but didn't want the hospital to ship the patient back to his home country. The hospital finally got permission from the home country to send him back home, and sent him back at the hospital's expense. Then the family sued the hospital. As of the time of the hearing, the hospital had already spent $250,000 in legal fees.
Two million two hundred and fifty thousand dollars wasted. It is so danged frustrating that the hospital should even have to waste more money defending themselves against charges that shouldn't have ever been brought against them. Some greedy lawyer is representing the illegals family because he will get some huge percentage of any winnings, meanwhile Americans could be facing losing yet another hospital because of illegals. pft. How can anyone defend such behavior and just how dirty do you have to be to be a lawyer that would do such a thing.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,467,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Yeah but his credit is f****d now.

Oh.....so he won't qualify for a loan to buy a new Ford F-150?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:21 PM

I bet he could still get a home loan though.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Two million two hundred and fifty thousand dollars wasted. It is so danged frustrating that the hospital should even have to waste more money defending themselves against charges that shouldn't have ever been brought against them. Some greedy lawyer is representing the illegals family because he will get some huge percentage of any winnings, meanwhile Americans could be facing losing yet another hospital because of illegals. pft. How can anyone defend such behavior and just how dirty do you have to be to be a lawyer that would do such a thing.
Clearly, this lawyer is scum, because no one with an ounce of decency would even take this case. This hospital has provided non-compensated medical care for someone who shouldn’t have even been in this country; and what do they get for their efforts -- a huge lawsuit. Some people will stoop to the depths of hell for money.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:29 PM

You've got that right Benicar. I actually know a lawyer that quit being a lawyer because the work was too dirty for him.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM

339 posts, read 706,247 times
Quote:
You've got that right Benicar. I actually know a lawyer that quit being a lawyer because the work was too dirty for him.
That's sad, funny and honorable all at the same time.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times
Quote:
If anything happens to my family they are covered by insurance because we are Americans and we work for a living. When insurance is depleted we will have to beg, borrow, and sell assets to continue care for our American family member. When all money is depeleted Americans are often sent home. Why should an illegal alien be treated better than an American?
Thank you! A few years ago, my dad was hospitalized due to a stroke. After they transferred him from intensive care, he was in a semi-private room with a man who also had suffered a stroke, but sadly did not have insurance. They released that man (U.S. citizen), who clearly was in need of additional care. It’s my understanding they sent him to a clinic for outpatient treatment. Had he been insured, he would have remained in the hospital along with my dad.

I simply do not understand how anyone can condone providing ‘free’ medical care for illegal aliens, while our own citizens are denied the same.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,389,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thank you! A few years ago, my dad was hospitalized due to a stroke. After they transferred him from intensive care, he was in a semi-private room with a man who also had suffered a stroke, but sadly did not have insurance. They released that man (U.S. citizen), who clearly was in need of additional care. It’s my understanding they sent him to a clinic for outpatient treatment. Had he been insured, he would have remained in the hospital along with my dad.

I simply do not understand how anyone can condone providing ‘free’ medical care for illegal aliens, while our own citizens are denied the same.
99 percent of those people who condone/demand free and instant everything be given to illegal aliens are themselves illegal aliens. The rest of them are: anchor babies (especially within our gov.), other family members, members of ethnocentric groups sponsored by our tax dollars or those on the payroll of the corporate masters.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:50 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,959,999 times
The attached article has a great 15 minute video explanation of this case, the lawsuit and the players involved. Hospitals are saddled with the medical care of these illegals with no help from the government whatsoever, and the costs are passed on to us on the grounds that if someone is injured in America (whether or not they came here illegally), they should be cared for in America. The cost to care of this one patient was $1,000 a day. It appears the hospital is counter-claiming for the cost of the care when Jimenez was in their hospital.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/us...l?pagewanted=7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration