U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Reputation: 3010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Um, no. He is not taking citizenship that belongs to someone else. If he is an illegal immigrant who steals someone's identity, he's an identity thief and should be prosecuted like any other identity thief. But if he is just a man who works as a day laborer, abides by every law and never takes anything from anyone, how is he in any way a shoplifter?

A shoplifter is also known as a thief...he is commiting a crime by stealing something from someone.

Those illegal immigrants I see every day never take anything from me.
Indeed? I'm going to guess then that you don't pay any of the state taxes funding your broke state which spent $11 Billion dollars last year on taxpayer funded services for illegal aliens and which has seen 63 emergency rooms close in 5 years due to the abuse of services by illegal aliens.....

Nope, they sure ain't takin' nuthin' from you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,194 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
Me, and most intelligent people completely agree with you, but the crowd in this forum is quite irrational, and I am positive they don't welcome your thoughts.
Actually, truly intelligent people recognize the function of law and the possible backlash of just giving in on this issue. Emotionally involved people tend to side with the illegals, either because of family ties or just bleeding hearts. But the fact is illegal is illegal, and laws have been broken. I have been a citizen of this country for my entire life, but I am expected to live by our laws. If I do not, I will be punished. Thus, the illegal population should be made to face the music. Or, they could make the truly intelligent decision, and go back home on their own and begin the process of immigrating legally. If you want to talk about intelligence, I think you should look a little harder at the mindset of a people who would willingly continue to break laws and cross the border when it is obvious the jobs are drying up and the public sentiment towards them is sour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Indeed? I'm going to guess then that you don't pay any of the state taxes funding your broke state which spent $11 Billion dollars last year on taxpayer funded services for illegal aliens and which has seen 63 emergency rooms close in 5 years due to the abuse of services by illegal aliens.....

Nope, they sure ain't takin' nuthin' from you....
Thanks, Kele. Just like my good shoplifter buddy (honestly, you've GOT to meet this guy....boy, can he COOK !). He's a really deserving guy, and I've left money on my car seat, and he NEVER takes it. When he 'shoplifts', he only takes merchandise that belongs to great big companies, which are owned by rich stockholders and people like that. ONCE he did take something from a 7-11, but he later returned it, as the 7-11 was owned by immigrants, and he felt out of place taking THEIR stuff. He doesn't steal from people, only corporations who are so big they can afford it.

Let's get together someday for a barbecue... Just bring yourself. My buddy will bring ALL the food..don't worry about THAT. And BOY....his ribs are to DIE for. He never 'skimps' on the price of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
 
167 posts, read 406,169 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Um, no. He is not taking citizenship that belongs to someone else. If he is an illegal immigrant who steals someone's identity, he's an identity thief and should be prosecuted like any other identity thief. But if he is just a man who works as a day laborer, abides by every law and never takes anything from anyone, how is he in any way a shoplifter?

A shoplifter is also known as a thief...he is commiting a crime by stealing something from someone.

Those illegal immigrants I see every day never take anything from me.
I guess you do not pay taxes, you do not have children in the school system, and you have your own medical insurance.

All the above because the illegal immigrants you see every day never take anything from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,844,514 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Indeed? I'm going to guess then that you don't pay any of the state taxes funding your broke state which spent $11 Billion dollars last year on taxpayer funded services for illegal aliens and which has seen 63 emergency rooms close in 5 years due to the abuse of services by illegal aliens.....

Nope, they sure ain't takin' nuthin' from you....
Not any more than those idiot citizens who bought up houses like they were baseball cards and then needed a bail-out. Or those who ran the Big-Three auto-makers into the ground, or the millions of other citizens who also abused emergency rooms.

I want my country to be a safer place, and the first and most important thing to ensure our safety is to identify EVERY person in this country and not have 10,000,000+ completely in the shadows. I know that 99% of them are otherwise law-abiding, but that 1% is much more of a threat because we have no way to identify them or capture them when they actually do commit a crime.

Any prohibition (alcohol, drugs, gambling, prostitution, immigration) only leads to organized crime. Right now, gangsters profit off of illegal immigration, we're only promoting those gangsters by continuing this pointless crusade against immigrants. If we legalize them all (and none of that tantrum throwing by those who are here legally..."it's not fair!" sounds like my sister when she was young), we can fingerprint them all, put them in the national database and be much more certain that they are not criminals. Making 9 year old boys (the Harvard scholarship thread) who come over with their parents into criminals simply because they weren't so lucky to be born north of the border is not only foolish, but it's simply wrong. Who am I to say that I have more rights because I am white, was born in the USA, and my family immigrated decades before my parents were even born?

Remember, our current immigration laws have only been in effect since the Cold-War paranoia era when we were scared of Russians and other "Communist" spies. It was never meant to stop the flow of those outlined on Ellis Island...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: DFW
2,262 posts, read 2,690,816 times
Reputation: 1288
dude...seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Not any more than those idiot citizens who bought up houses like they were baseball cards and then needed a bail-out. Or those who ran the Big-Three auto-makers into the ground, or the millions of other citizens who also abused emergency rooms.

I want my country to be a safer place, and the first and most important thing to ensure our safety is to identify EVERY person in this country and not have 10,000,000+ completely in the shadows. I know that 99% of them are otherwise law-abiding, but that 1% is much more of a threat because we have no way to identify them or capture them when they actually do commit a crime.

Any prohibition (alcohol, drugs, gambling, prostitution, immigration) only leads to organized crime. Right now, gangsters profit off of illegal immigration, we're only promoting those gangsters by continuing this pointless crusade against immigrants. If we legalize them all (and none of that tantrum throwing by those who are here legally..."it's not fair!" sounds like my sister when she was young), we can fingerprint them all, put them in the national database and be much more certain that they are not criminals. Making 9 year old boys (the Harvard scholarship thread) who come over with their parents into criminals simply because they weren't so lucky to be born north of the border is not only foolish, but it's simply wrong. Who am I to say that I have more rights because I am white, was born in the USA, and my family immigrated decades before my parents were even born?

Remember, our current immigration laws have only been in effect since the Cold-War paranoia era when we were scared of Russians and other "Communist" spies. It was never meant to stop the flow of those outlined on Ellis Island...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Um, no. He is not taking citizenship that belongs to someone else. If he is an illegal immigrant who steals someone's identity, he's an identity thief and should be prosecuted like any other identity thief. But if he is just a man who works as a day laborer, abides by every law and never takes anything from anyone, how is he in any way a shoplifter?

A shoplifter is also known as a thief...he is commiting a crime by stealing something from someone.

Those illegal immigrants I see every day never take anything from me.
How does one ďabide by every lawĒ when wages are being paid under the table, thus, no taxes are being withheld? Arenít citizens required to have taxes withheld from their pay? Isnít this tax evasion?

In addition to those paid in cash, the vast majority are using a fake or stolen SSN. Are they also ďabiding by every law?Ē
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,844,514 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, truly intelligent people recognize the function of law and the possible backlash of just giving in on this issue. Emotionally involved people tend to side with the illegals, either because of family ties or just bleeding hearts. But the fact is illegal is illegal, and laws have been broken.
Never have I seen more emotions expressed than in the ravenous hatred for anything related to people who might possibly be illegal. I've been called treasonous (how a Navy vet who volunteers for municipal youth programs 6 days a week is a traitor is beyond me), and been told I should be deported for simply supporting anything that doesn't treat illegals like Jews in 1936 Germany (before the death camps).

No, it's the trully intellectual ones who look with reason and see the shades of grey in this issue and not just the black and white. Most illegals are needed to make our society function as it does. That cheap produce we buy? It's because farmers pay illegals under the table. Those clean bathrooms at your office? It's because illegals are willing to wipe up a stranger's pee for less than minimum wage. Illegal aliens do not unionize.

Only those who are xenophobic and blinded by hate will see deportation of all illegals and their American-born children as a viable option. Those with logic and intellect on their side will see that prohibition only creates problems, the legalization of all immigration with regulations will be far safer for all of us...and it will generate tax revenue where there was none before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Not any more than those idiot citizens who bought up houses like they were baseball cards and then needed a bail-out. Or those who ran the Big-Three auto-makers into the ground, or the millions of other citizens who also abused emergency rooms.

I want my country to be a safer place, and the first and most important thing to ensure our safety is to identify EVERY person in this country and not have 10,000,000+ completely in the shadows. I know that 99% of them are otherwise law-abiding, but that 1% is much more of a threat because we have no way to identify them or capture them when they actually do commit a crime.

Any prohibition (alcohol, drugs, gambling, prostitution, immigration) only leads to organized crime. Right now, gangsters profit off of illegal immigration, we're only promoting those gangsters by continuing this pointless crusade against immigrants. If we legalize them all (and none of that tantrum throwing by those who are here legally..."it's not fair!" sounds like my sister when she was young), we can fingerprint them all, put them in the national database and be much more certain that they are not criminals. Making 9 year old boys (the Harvard scholarship thread) who come over with their parents into criminals simply because they weren't so lucky to be born north of the border is not only foolish, but it's simply wrong. Who am I to say that I have more rights because I am white, was born in the USA, and my family immigrated decades before my parents were even born?

Remember, our current immigration laws have only been in effect since the Cold-War paranoia era when we were scared of Russians and other "Communist" spies. It was never meant to stop the flow of those outlined on Ellis Island...
You certainly have a lot of faith in our inept government. They canít even manage to track visa holders, yet we should trust them to guarantee accuracy of background checks on 20+ million people, many of whom have several aliases. It would take years, if ever. Furthermore, how will we know their countries of origin wonít falsify information just to rid themselves of criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,773,289 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
No, actually it's the opposite because they are afraid of being caught and deported, so they do whatever they can to stay out of the eyes of police, and commiting crimes is top of that list. Most illegal immigrants are farm workers, gardeners, maids, janitors and other necessary jobs that people like me would never take, even if we were unemployed. They work very hard to earn an honest living, and they try as hard as possible to make certain their family back home in El Salvador, Honduras, Laos, China, Mexico or wherever they come from has enough money so they don't have to come to the US too.

The only "crime" most of them commit is coming to America, something all of our ancestors did at some point. At least they aren't committing genocide like the Spanish, British, French, Dutch and Americans did...they are moving in peacefully, filling a niche and staying out of trouble for the most part. The ones who are criminals (actual criminals like thieves, rapists, murderers, violent people, etc.) belong in prison or back in their own country, but the ones who just come to make a better life are just as American as my great-grandparents, or your great-great-great-grandparents, or my friend who is a (legal) Cuban immigrant, or my girlfriend's parents (one Filipino, one Iranian)...America is about a melting pot. Remember, it takes a long time to melt a stick of butter in a pot, it does not happen instantly.

The bolded part shows your true motivation in your anti-immigration ferocity: Prejudice, racism and ignorance.
Wow, what a diatribe! They only broke a law or two (idenity theft is against the law I think) and came here to do the things that you won't dirty your hands
on? All the rest are just gangsters that should be in prison in thier own country ? We should put them in our prisons, right? That (just making a point here ) being after we find out they are rapist, drug dealers, ect, ect. Am I the only one who sees irony in this? No doubt, some might be good people, but, how are you going tell? If they are such good people they should do it legaly. As a side note, "they" are NOT "moving in peacfeully". They are moving in demanding every thing they think (not deserve) they want. Protesting in the streets, chanting "La Raza" and flying a foregin flag over the American flag. Racism and prejudice seem to be your only motivation. By the way, if you take a lot of time melting butter it usually burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top