Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times

Advertisements

Okay, genius. I was making a comment on the horrific spelling of the OP. Schools....learning how to spell....?..... yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Okay, genius. I was making a comment on the horrific spelling of the OP. Schools....learning how to spell....?..... yeah.
the world is full of great spellers that lack common sence!!!! i don't think spelling has anything to do with building military basses on the border... it would be so easy for terrorist to cross over the mexican american border... thugs cross the border everyday and get free medical care free welfare...do you think it is fair to all those legal immigrants that have to wait years to become citizens..

Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 AM

103 posts, read 140,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
building military basses on the boarder is the only way to keep out all the illegals and potential terrorist and criminals.. i am not an illegal alien and can butcher what ever i want..chop chop chop.

Terrorists from 9/11 didn't cross the border illegally, all of them were here legally. (None of them were mexicans)How your plan would stop people like them?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Perhaps you're looking at this from too narrow a focus. Obviously, it's wrong that illegals sneak over and get the benefits while legal immigrants must wait years. So, within that context, building massive military bases becomes a logical solution.

However, I remember the United States (and conservatives no less) once took pride in tearing walls down in the 80s.

Perhaps the problem isn't immigration. Perhaps it's simply how we structure our political boundaries.

There was a time when the colonies of North America had firm borders and each had a separate military to defend them. Then they voluntarily gave their power to a unifying federal government (with mechanisms built in to defend their self interest should the need arise) and now the borders between states are very fluid. States do not wage war against one another and migration between states (even wealthy ones like California and poor ones like Mississippi) is fluid and open.

Perhaps breaking down those political barriers is the ultimate solution to immigration and a fuller manifestation of our nation's charge to seek a "more fuller union".

Before you argue against that, just consider that many who fight to protect the U.S. borders today are ideologically descended from those who fought to protect colonial borders in the 1700s and to remain under British rule. They have now embraced with fervor the nation their ideological ancestors once fought to prevent for fear of losing power.

Last edited by Bluefly; 02-26-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
the world is full of great spellers that lack common sence!!!! i don't think spelling has anything to do with building military basses on the border... it would be so easy for terrorist to cross over the mexican american border... thugs cross the border everyday and get free medical care free welfare...do you think it is fair to all those legal immigrants that have to wait years to become citizens..
I don't see how a terrorist could POSSIBLY enter the US by crossing the Mexican border. In the first place, that's against the law....and in the SECOND place, Mexicans aren't suicidal.

All I want is somebody to mow my lawn and pick my crops..the things I refuse to do for myself. That 'terrorist' stuff is "OVERBLOWN"..(no pun intended)

Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0rdfish View Post
Terrorists from 9/11 didn't cross the border illegally, all of them were here legally. (None of them were mexicans)How your plan would stop people like them?
i said potential terrorist and criminals!!! the basses would be a great deterrent.. but if they don't solve the illegal immigration problem soon it won't matter anyways the usa will be like mexico.. drug cartels and thugs will run the usa it's all about sooner or latter.. not if or when!!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
I think we should build a Catholic monastery on the border. That way, the resident monks could busy themselves lobbing 'missals' across the line....(hopefully these missals would be published in Spanish...or in Latin, in case some Latin Americans showed up).

We could call it a 'Holy War'......and if anyone on either side showed up to object, we could call them 'protestants'.....

Old 02-26-2009, 11:20 AM

479 posts, read 660,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Yeah! Let's get rid of ALL the people in this country who completely butcher the English language and don't have a grasp on properly writing it!

They'll all be illegals...right...?
Says the poster who doesn't know the meaning of the word satire. Too funny! Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Says the poster who doesn't know the meaning of the word satire. Too funny! Thanks for the chuckle!
Man, I just made your day huh?
The best thing that happened to you in this forum is me mistaking the sarcasm for the typical kind of bitching that goes on on here.

It wasn't completely outlandish for your types to throw the race card in an ironic twist.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
it would be a good time to build military basses on the boarder..

I know of Big mouth basses, small-mouth basses, salt-walter basses, but miltary basses? Do they taste good with hush-puppies?

i would say build like 5 military basses along the entire lenth of the boarder and cut a road from cal to tex and have the troops train on the new road ...

Boarder? Like room and boarder? Which boarder? The one is 2B or 3C?

that should be a big deterrent!!!

What's a deterrent?

there's another way that could work.. build toco bells along the entire lenth of the boarder

I don't know about toco bells, but Tacos sure south delish to me...want some?

with only one entrance facing the mexican boarder one way in one way out back to mexico..
You completely lost me there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration