U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 AM
 
40 posts, read 102,037 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Remember the Comprehensive Immigration Reform package passed by the Senate but not by the House? It was just a few years ago and it came close to passing. It would have cost us trillions in money we do not have and allowed for massive increases in additional legal immigrants. We would be flooded with millions of new illegal immigrants and new legal ones all going into a country that has massive unemployment.

I read that Obama is going to press Congress to pass a similar bill this year or next that will give amnesty to the current illegals, allow for massive numbers of new legal immigrants.. all in the worst economy since the 1930s.

Will Obama have a straight face when he presents the new immigration proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Wichita,Kansas
2,731 posts, read 5,942,722 times
Reputation: 1328
If he really wants to help the economy he will push to deport more Illegal's..
But hey Illegal=Future Democrat Voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,796,426 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
Remember the Comprehensive Immigration Reform package passed by the Senate but not by the House? It was just a few years ago and it came close to passing. It would have cost us trillions in money we do not have and allowed for massive increases in additional legal immigrants. We would be flooded with millions of new illegal immigrants and new legal ones all going into a country that has massive unemployment.

I read that Obama is going to press Congress to pass a similar bill this year or next that will give amnesty to the current illegals, allow for massive numbers of new legal immigrants.. all in the worst economy since the 1930s.

Will Obama have a straight face when he presents the new immigration proposal?
It's only a matter of time before a comprehensive immigration bill passes congress. It might take 2,3 or even 4 years but it's going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
 
2,088 posts, read 2,188,618 times
Reputation: 1263
The idea of comprehensive immigration "reform" to Democrats is to give citizenship to millions of illegal aliens if they meet certain criteria (ie have not committed serious crimes, have a job, pay a fine. etc). Unfortunately, it does nothing to fix the root of the problem. We need to 1) secure the border, 2) punish employers who hire illegals, and 3)repeal birth right citizenship. Most illegals will leave on their own after those three things are done. Then we should also have mass deportation of illegals that remain. Opponents claim that it is impossible because there are too many of them. I think we could do it and I think we should try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,627,052 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The idea of comprehensive immigration "reform" to Democrats is to give citizenship to millions of illegal aliens if they meet certain criteria (i.e., have not committed serious crimes, have a job, pay a fine. etc). .
Not to belabor the point that we HAVE had a number of amnesties in the past, the largest of which saw some three million illegals 'forgiven'....EACH amnesty having been passed over angry objections, on the premise that "this time will be the LAST time, for SURE"...etc etc etc... without going over THAT stuff, the fact is that we're dealing today with possibly 20 million illegals, (and likely many more).

For the sake of argument, let's say that amnesty WAS passed, and that we agreed to 'legalize' those who met the criteria. What, IN YOUR OPINION, (quoting from your post above) would happen to those illegals who HAVE committed serious crimes? who DO NOT have a job? Who DO NOT, or CAN NOT, pay a fine? You don't think we'd 'throw THEM out, do you? Wouldn't there be a huge outcry to also forgive THESE people, particularly since we'd already forgiven 'most of the others'?

Beyond this, what do you see as the residual effects of a 20-million person amnesty upon American society in the coming decades? Anger? Bitterness? Forgiveness? Never mention it again?..any ideas on this? What would happen to the employers of these 'newly legalized' people, give the fact that they "can't afford to hire Americans"? Wouldn't their illegal employees now BE Americans?...and wouldn't that fact make them suddenly 'unaffordable' to their employers? Do you ever envision a future in which illegals in America will NOT demand amnesty?

Just thinking out loud here, as one who's been in this argument for many years now, and seen things 'come and go'. I've been 'party' to this situation for decades, and I've seen the economy change, our society change, the illegals change, and the RATE of immigration change....guess you could say "I don't believe ANYTHING"....

Educate me, if you have any ideas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
It's only a matter of time before a comprehensive immigration bill passes congress. It might take 2,3 or even 4 years but it's going to happen.
There will be no amnesty. Macmeal is spot on, as usual. If these 20+ million were suddenly legalized, they would no longer be profitable. If you think employers prefer illegal aliens due to their exemplary work ethic, and their zeal to do the jobs “Americans won’t do,” you are delusional. They prefer illegal aliens for one reason -- they are CHEAP.

The last thing we need is 20+ million more legal residents vying for scant jobs. Obama didn’t become president by being stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,905,433 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There will be no amnesty. Macmeal is spot on, as usual. If these 20+ million were suddenly legalized, they would no longer be profitable. If you think employers prefer illegal aliens due to their exemplary work ethic, and their zeal to do the jobs “Americans won’t do,” you are delusional. They prefer illegal aliens for one reason -- they are CHEAP.

The last thing we need is 20+ million more legal residents vying for scant jobs. Obama didn’t become president by being stupid.
Agreed. Although for some their "dream" of amnesty passing is all they have left . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,796,426 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There will be no amnesty. Macmeal is spot on, as usual. If these 20+ million were suddenly legalized, they would no longer be profitable. If you think employers prefer illegal aliens due to their exemplary work ethic, and their zeal to do the jobs “Americans won’t do,” you are delusional. They prefer illegal aliens for one reason -- they are CHEAP.

The last thing we need is 20+ million more legal residents vying for scant jobs. Obama didn’t become president by being stupid.
I stand by my point, sooner or later it is going to happen. You can deny it all you want, but the time will come.

I am sure you are aware of all the promises he made to the latino voters concerning this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I stand by my point, sooner or later it is going to happen. You can deny it all you want, but the time will come.

I am sure you are aware of all the promises he made to the latino voters concerning this issue.
Would these “Latino” voters be legal or illegal? Regardless, there are more voters in this country who are NOT Latino. Are you suggesting he will ignore the majority? Furthermore, when did illegal immigration become exclusively a Latino issue?

Politicians make many “promises” they don’t keep. It’s the nature of the beast. You will be sorely disappointed if you place your hopes and dreams on political rhetoric. Again; there will be no amnesty. Of course, you are entitled to your dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,796,426 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Would these “Latino” voters be legal or illegal? Regardless, there are more voters in this country who are NOT Latino. Are you suggesting he will ignore the majority? Furthermore, when did illegal immigration become exclusively a Latino issue?

Politicians make many “promises” they don’t keep. It’s the nature of the beast. You will be sorely disappointed if you place your hopes and dreams on political rhetoric. Again; there will be no amnesty. Of course, you are entitled to your dreams.
I don't need to place my hopes or my dreams on any political rhetoric. The only one who is going to be dissapointed would be you and your ilk when comprehensive reform passes in the future.

Btw, one had to be legal and a citizen to vote last time i checked. You are really mistaken if you think CIR is not important to the millions of legal latinos in this country.

Quote:
So I’ll restate my thesis. If conservative Republicans continue to advocate the mass removal of resident illegals, our candidates will lose Hispanic vote share — to the point where our performance among Hispanics mirrors that among African Americans. If conservative Republicans continue to advocate the mass removal of resident illegals, our business support will erode — not to levels typical of a congressional minority, but to levels reflecting a fundamental shift of interests favoring the Democrats.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...lkODhhNDA3MWQ=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top