U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,636,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I disagree. Marijuana users are no more dangerous than alcoholics. In fact, nowhere near as dangerous or violent.

It's ridiculous that so much stigma is attached to marijuana and all the prohibition on it when alcohol is legal.

I do think that the only way to stop the violence and crime associated with drugs is to legalize them, but that doesn't sound to appealing to me either. I think it's just something we're going to have to live with.
As to pot, agreed... The harder stuff, IMHO, no.

I've never partaked in such, but in what I've read/studied about it, it seems it has been wrongly stigmatized into an evil 'drug'... while alcohol is commercialized w/ cute spotted dogs, pretty girls, mountains, and Clydesdales... and yes, btw, I do drink.

As to Mexico and the drug trade: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=97467703 and http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=101215537
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:53 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
You'd have to legalize meth also since they're bringing that over too. Much of the bad violence in Mexico is meth related.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You'd have to legalize meth also since they're bringing that over too. Much of the bad violence in Mexico is meth related.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions about how Meth is influencing that savage behavior SOB.

Needless to say: I hope to God that Meth is never legal-----------it is evil incarnate.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM

Here's a good article about the meth addiction problem in Mexico and how it's causing violence there:

CIP Americas Program | U.S. Drug Habit Migrates to Mexico

Mexican Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora raised the alarm about rising Mexican drug demand in his Jan. 23 congressional testimony in Washington. “The consumption of hard drugs is increasing at truly alarming rates ... at rates of as much as 20% annually,” Medina said. According to Medina, changing drug market conditions and the increasing violent competition for market control has “focused organized criminal groups more toward the domestic market.”

Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Or:

http://www.reuters.com/article/world...4B07V120081201

Mexico is now the largest producer of methamphetamine for the U.S. market and traffickers have recently found a growing number of users at home, many of them minors.

Meth use in Mexico has quadrupled in six years, according to a survey by the health ministry. The study, to be released in the coming weeks, shows 0.5 percent of the Mexican population has tried meth, more than double the 0.2 percent of the U.S. population who have used it.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 AM

Take children who are destroyed by broken families, in many cases abandoned by parents living as cheap servants 3000 miles away in the USA and give them a very highly addictive, not very expensive drug, that quickly destroys their minds and any moral compass they had and you're going to have a problem. They make excellent recruits to criminal gangs as they'll do absolutely anything to get their drug money, sawing off someone's head, torture, kidnap -- no problem.

The border region is ripe for this because so many people on the border have migrated for the cheap labor maquilas, they arrive to a strange city, have no social safety net, the Mexican border cities cannot provide the needed infrastructure. Children are left home alone by mothers who need to work in the maquilas if they're lucky enough to have a parent still living home with them instead of a "remittance" parent they never or very rarely see.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Well, if we quit messing around on the border things would get better to. Since the cartels are sending their thugs over the line and they are armed and showing bad intent, treat them as what hey are, a hostile aggressor, and respond accordingly. Lol, yea, a new AWB will do SOOOO much to keep the cartels from getting weapons. They have the bucks to get whatever they want whenever they want. Sheesh, they are so bloody big and rich that established governments deal with them, could anyone honestly think that Eastern Europe is going to turn down the money these guys wave around? They want AK's and they have MONEY. Sold! lol they aren't getting their weapons from up here. Some maybe but not much in the big picture. last I checked they had all kinds of east bloc stuff, RPG's AK's RPK's and soooo much more. They ain't looking for a semi auto AR or M1A folks. They want the selector switch to have a little more play. They have Hk G3's Steyer AUG's, M'4's AK's and RPK's lots of grenades and other explosives (can you get those at a gun shop?) lol these weapons did not come from legal sources up here and they are the real deal, not semi auto versions. There is NOTHING anyone can do to keep them from getting the best firepower that money can buy. Unless you can stop the money from flowing and therein lies the problem. Theres a market for what they are selling. It's the users and pushers up he that are funding them. Go after THEM and stay out of MY gun safe. Geez I'm one of the good guys for petes sake!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
You know how this would be solved? Not by stricter border enforcement, because the cartels are far more highly financed than border agents and will always be two steps ahead, but by ENDING THE DRUG WAR. These gangs wont have any profit if drugs are manufactured by legal, tax-paying corporations in the US. Without profit, there's nothing to kill for. And unlike most people who comment on this subject, I actually sit at a desk in my office with a window that faces the San Ysidro border station and I can see the individual cars with my naked eye. Tijuana is only minutes from my front door. I want this violence to stop more than anyone, especially because I love going for a walk along Avenida Revolucion on a summer afternoon, but to me there is only one possible way for it to stop, and that's the legalization of the (dangerous and disgusting) drugs like Heroin and Cocaine, as well as marijuana.
Ya, meth at a Walmart pharmacy, what a great idea.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, if we quit messing around on the border things would get better to. Since the cartels are sending their thugs over the line and they are armed and showing bad intent, treat them as what hey are, a hostile aggressor, and respond accordingly. Lol, yea, a new AWB will do SOOOO much to keep the cartels from getting weapons. They have the bucks to get whatever they want whenever they want. Sheesh, they are so bloody big and rich that established governments deal with them, could anyone honestly think that Eastern Europe is going to turn down the money these guys wave around? They want AK's and they have MONEY. Sold! lol they aren't getting their weapons from up here. Some maybe but not much in the big picture. last I checked they had all kinds of east bloc stuff, RPG's AK's RPK's and soooo much more. They ain't looking for a semi auto AR or M1A folks. They want the selector switch to have a little more play. They have Hk G3's Steyer AUG's, M'4's AK's and RPK's lots of grenades and other explosives (can you get those at a gun shop?) lol these weapons did not come from legal sources up here and they are the real deal, not semi auto versions. There is NOTHING anyone can do to keep them from getting the best firepower that money can buy. Unless you can stop the money from flowing and therein lies the problem. Theres a market for what they are selling. It's the users and pushers up he that are funding them. Go after THEM and stay out of MY gun safe. Geez I'm one of the good guys for petes sake!
Full auto AKs and knockoffs are coming from over seas. You are right, they will still get assault weapons.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, meth at a Walmart pharmacy, what a great idea.
But it's so much better to have methheads and meth labs right next to schools like they are in Santee, El Cajon and the rest of the lower-middle class cities here in San Diego? Meth addicts exist in huge numbers now, and the drug is illegal. But that's not the only problem, the problem in not in the users, but in the pushers and manufacturers. Same goes for Heroin, Cocaine, Ecstasy and Opium. I would never want anyone I know to do those drugs, and wouldn't want them near the kids I try to save from the gangs though my charity work. Gangs are financed by drugs...this is a fact. The illegal drugs have brought insane amounts of wealth (Pablo Escobar was the 7th richest man in the world at his peak) and THAT's where most of the violence comes from. Sure, there will still be border trafficking, but the violence will vanish because there willl be no incentive to kill for drug money (cause there will be none...just like after Alcohol was legalized) and the transporting of illegals isn't nearly as high-profit. Guns get transported because of the drug war and the related turf wars.

If you think that the cartels will somehow create a black market when there's a legal market, let me ask you this...would you buy beer from a bootlegger when you could go to 7-11 and get it? Why would I risk criminal prosecution when there was a perfectly legal method? Why would I put myself at risk, when I could just go to a convenience store? The DEMAND (supply and demand, the most basic concept in economics, proves that legalization would bring the price and profit margin down) for bootleg drugs will vanish because there will be plenty available to anyone who wants it.

That crap is illegal now, yet I still have crackheads on my corner begging me for money every morning. Make it legal and those crackheads will stay, but at least they'll be paying taxes indirectly (buying crack from 7-11, it gets taxed as business income for the corporation) and supporting the costs of rehabilitation programs instead of funding murderous drug cartels. How people don't see that is beyond me. WE ALREADY TRIED PROHIBITION ONCE WITH ALCOHOL...THE GANGS AND VIOLENCE RELATED TO BOOTLEGGING NEARLY VANISHED THE MOMENT IT WAS LEGALIZED.

No matter what you think about the others, Marijuana has to be legalized, it's simply retarded for anyone to think otherwise, there is NOTHING that shows prohibition of marijuana to be in any way effective at anything other than costing us billions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or