U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,721,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
But it's so much better to have methheads and meth labs right next to schools like they are in Santee, El Cajon and the rest of the lower-middle class cities here in San Diego? Meth addicts exist in huge numbers now, and the drug is illegal. But that's not the only problem, the problem in not in the users, but in the pushers and manufacturers. Same goes for Heroin, Cocaine, Ecstasy and Opium. I would never want anyone I know to do those drugs, and wouldn't want them near the kids I try to save from the gangs though my charity work. Gangs are financed by drugs...this is a fact. The illegal drugs have brought insane amounts of wealth (Pablo Escobar was the 7th richest man in the world at his peak) and THAT's where most of the violence comes from. Sure, there will still be border trafficking, but the violence will vanish because there willl be no incentive to kill for drug money (cause there will be none...just like after Alcohol was legalized) and the transporting of illegals isn't nearly as high-profit. Guns get transported because of the drug war and the related turf wars.

If you think that the cartels will somehow create a black market when there's a legal market, let me ask you this...would you buy beer from a bootlegger when you could go to 7-11 and get it? Why would I risk criminal prosecution when there was a perfectly legal method? Why would I put myself at risk, when I could just go to a convenience store? The DEMAND (supply and demand, the most basic concept in economics, proves that legalization would bring the price and profit margin down) for bootleg drugs will vanish because there will be plenty available to anyone who wants it.

That crap is illegal now, yet I still have crackheads on my corner begging me for money every morning. Make it legal and those crackheads will stay, but at least they'll be paying taxes indirectly (buying crack from 7-11, it gets taxed as business income for the corporation) and supporting the costs of rehabilitation programs instead of funding murderous drug cartels. How people don't see that is beyond me. WE ALREADY TRIED PROHIBITION ONCE WITH ALCOHOL...THE GANGS AND VIOLENCE RELATED TO BOOTLEGGING NEARLY VANISHED THE MOMENT IT WAS LEGALIZED.

No matter what you think about the others, Marijuana has to be legalized, it's simply retarded for anyone to think otherwise, there is NOTHING that shows prohibition of marijuana to be in any way effective at anything other than costing us billions.
And that I do agree with--------especially your last paragraph that I bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,875,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And that I do agree with--------especially your last paragraph that I bolded.
me too, very good post! Lefty

Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM

7,172 posts, read 5,273,825 times
We could certainly take a huge chunck of revenue from the cartels by legalizing good ol' Mary Jane and I don't have a problem with doing so either. Alcohol does far more harm than pot and it's legal. Lol the only thing that is in danger from a person smoking pot is the leftovers in the fridge. A stoned person is far to busy finding profoundness in old Woody Woodpecker cartoons and trying new combinations to put on Ritz crackers to think about beating their wife and kids. Yea, legalize the stuff, and take away about a good 30% or better of the drug runners revenue. I see no problem with that. If less people were drinking booze and more smoking LEGAL pot I think we would see domestic violence rates plummet as well. Isn't that a good thing?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,721,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We could certainly take a huge chunck of revenue from the cartels by legalizing good ol' Mary Jane and I don't have a problem with doing so either. Alcohol does far more harm than pot and it's legal. Lol the only thing that is in danger from a person smoking pot is the leftovers in the fridge. A stoned person is far to busy finding profoundness in old Woody Woodpecker cartoons and trying new combinations to put on Ritz crackers to think about beating their wife and kids. Yea, legalize the stuff, and take away about a good 30% or better of the drug runners revenue. I see no problem with that. If less people were drinking booze and more smoking LEGAL pot I think we would see domestic violence rates plummet as well. Isn't that a good thing?
No joke there:

I used to know a guy that when tanked up on booze he was a regular jackass----------stoned he was so mellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration