U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,695,036 times
Reputation: 2988

Advertisements

Mexico Drug Cartels Exporting Bloody Mayhem to U.S.

WASHINGTON � Mexican drug cartels are shipping more than massive quantities of drugs north of the border. Increasingly, they're also exporting bloody mayhem.

Seeking to stem the growing influence of the Sinaloa cartel within the United States, federal agents arrested more than 50 suspects in raids Tuesday night and Wednesday morning at different ends of the country.

The raids capped a 21-month operation by the Drug Enforcement Administration that rounded up 755 suspects and seized more than $59 million in criminal proceeds.

"These cartels will be destroyed," Attorney General Eric Holder said Wednesday at a press conference announcing the arrests.

The attorney general also suggested that re-instituting a U.S. ban on the sale of assault weapons would help reduce the bloodshed in Mexico, where last year 6,000 people were killed in drug-related violence.

Increasingly, U.S. law enforcement officials see cartel violence spill into the United States, often as far away as Phoenix and Atlanta.

Newsmax.com - Mexico Drug Cartels Exporting Bloody Mayhem to U.S. (http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/drug_cartel_violence/2009/02/26/185791.html?s=al&promo_code=7B11-1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,299,768 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
"These cartels will be destroyed," Attorney General Eric Holder said Wednesday at a press conference announcing the arrests.

The attorney general also suggested that re-instituting a U.S. ban on the sale of assault weapons would help reduce the bloodshed in Mexico, where last year 6,000 people were killed in drug-related violence.

Increasingly, U.S. law enforcement officials see cartel violence spill into the United States, often as far away as Phoenix and Atlanta.

Newsmax.com - Mexico Drug Cartels Exporting Bloody Mayhem to U.S. (http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/drug_cartel_violence/2009/02/26/185791.html?s=al&promo_code=7B11-1 - broken link)
I believe he is right.

see: US citizen who sold weapons to drug dealers awaits trial.

regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,846,448 times
Reputation: 1298
You know how this would be solved? Not by stricter border enforcement, because the cartels are far more highly financed than border agents and will always be two steps ahead, but by ENDING THE DRUG WAR. These gangs wont have any profit if drugs are manufactured by legal, tax-paying corporations in the US. Without profit, there's nothing to kill for. And unlike most people who comment on this subject, I actually sit at a desk in my office with a window that faces the San Ysidro border station and I can see the individual cars with my naked eye. Tijuana is only minutes from my front door. I want this violence to stop more than anyone, especially because I love going for a walk along Avenida Revolucion on a summer afternoon, but to me there is only one possible way for it to stop, and that's the legalization of the (dangerous and disgusting) drugs like Heroin and Cocaine, as well as marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 PM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,685,196 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
You know how this would be solved? Not by stricter border enforcement, because the cartels are far more highly financed than border agents and will always be two steps ahead, but by ENDING THE DRUG WAR. These gangs wont have any profit if drugs are manufactured by legal, tax-paying corporations in the US. Without profit, there's nothing to kill for. And unlike most people who comment on this subject, I actually sit at a desk in my office with a window that faces the San Ysidro border station and I can see the individual cars with my naked eye. Tijuana is only minutes from my front door. I want this violence to stop more than anyone, especially because I love going for a walk along Avenida Revolucion on a summer afternoon, but to me there is only one possible way for it to stop, and that's the legalization of the (dangerous and disgusting) drugs like Heroin and Cocaine, as well as marijuana.
You raise an interesting point and one frequently discussed obviously. I think we would still have problems with these people, though possibly less. These people are violent criminals seeking to make a profit through illegal means. I doubt they would become legit if drugs were legalized. You may see them steal drugs to sell on the black market, get into human trafficking, gun trafficking etc. I do think it's worth examining though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
I would be OK with legalizing marijuana. If nothing else: most potheads are not violent.

As for the rest of the illegal drugs; with the possible exception of cocaine------------hell no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:27 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,396 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I would be OK with legalizing marijuana. If nothing else: most potheads are not violent.

As for the rest of the illegal drugs; with the possible exception of cocaine------------hell no!
I don't think it is the pot head users themselves that are the danger, it is the effects of their use and consumption that perpetuate the violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,899,609 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I don't think it is the pot head users themselves that are the danger, it is the effects of their use and consumption that perpetuate the violence.
I disagree. Marijuana users are no more dangerous than alcoholics. In fact, nowhere near as dangerous or violent.

It's ridiculous that so much stigma is attached to marijuana and all the prohibition on it when alcohol is legal.

I do think that the only way to stop the violence and crime associated with drugs is to legalize them, but that doesn't sound to appealing to me either. I think it's just something we're going to have to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,122 posts, read 9,210,319 times
Reputation: 8988
Irresponsible people have to be protected from themselves.
Responsible people - well - they're responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: West Creek
1,720 posts, read 3,932,164 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
You know how this would be solved? Not by stricter border enforcement, because the cartels are far more highly financed than border agents and will always be two steps ahead, but by ENDING THE DRUG WAR. These gangs wont have any profit if drugs are manufactured by legal, tax-paying corporations in the US. Without profit, there's nothing to kill for. And unlike most people who comment on this subject, I actually sit at a desk in my office with a window that faces the San Ysidro border station and I can see the individual cars with my naked eye. Tijuana is only minutes from my front door. I want this violence to stop more than anyone, especially because I love going for a walk along Avenida Revolucion on a summer afternoon, but to me there is only one possible way for it to stop, and that's the legalization of the (dangerous and disgusting) drugs like Heroin and Cocaine, as well as marijuana.

NO, Why? because just as Messyco has their Corruption, we have some courruption aswell, just not as disgustingly. Hell for all we know some BP agents might be mixed up with the cartels, and this problem, this will be solved just as soon they legalize some paraphenilia, Marijuana is used for Medicinal purposes. and It has the same effects as Alcohol. Why not legalize(have it regulated of course) it, and Profit by Taxing. Its a win win situation. Just think how many dopers will get off the streets? and so will the territorial voilence can halt for a minute. You just cant get rid of the pest by just chopping its leggs, you gotta go for the head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,391 posts, read 4,563,488 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
NO, Why? because just as Messyco has their Corruption, we have some courruption aswell, just not as disgustingly. Hell for all we know some BP agents might be mixed up with the cartels, and this problem, this will be solved just as soon they legalize some paraphenilia, Marijuana is used for Medicinal purposes. and It has the same effects as Alcohol. Why not legalize(have it regulated of course) it, and Profit by Taxing. Its a win win situation. Just think how many dopers will get off the streets? and so will the territorial voilence can halt for a minute. You just cant get rid of the pest by just chopping its leggs, you gotta go for the head!
Exactly. Legalize pot and tax the hell out of it. Recession over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top