U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Immigrant rights groups blasted President Obama on Wednesday for breaking what they called his "personal commitment" to change Bush-era immigration raids after U.S. authorities raided an engine machine shop in Washington state and detained illegal immigrants. The Obama administration itself seemed taken aback by the raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano vowing to Congress that she would "get to the bottom of this." "The secretary is not happy and this is not her policy," a Homeland Security official said Wednesday evening, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the secretary's review is ongoing.

Washington Times - Illegals raid dismays Obama backers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,266 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Immigrant rights groups blasted President Obama on Wednesday for breaking what they called his "personal commitment" to change Bush-era immigration raids after U.S. authorities raided an engine machine shop in Washington state and detained illegal immigrants. The Obama administration itself seemed taken aback by the raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano vowing to Congress that she would "get to the bottom of this." "The secretary is not happy and this is not her policy," a Homeland Security official said Wednesday evening, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the secretary's review is ongoing.

Washington Times - Illegals raid dismays Obama backers

There is more to the article...
Quote:
Ms. Napolitano said she expects ICE actions at work sites to focus on employers "who intentionally and knowingly exploit the illegal labor market."

"That has impacts on American workers, it has impacts on wage levels, often has undue impacts on the illegal workers themselves, and our ICE efforts should be focused on those sorts of things and we should really have thought through the prosecutions that are going to result and the deportations that will result after any sort of work-force action," she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
There is more to the article...
Gee, do you think that could be the reason I posted the link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,266 times
Reputation: 64
I am for enforcement of our laws but when we cannot distinguish between legal and illegal and falsely imprison AMERICANS it just proves how ineffective and pathetic our government can be. Appearance does not = illegal.
Quote:
Rep. Zoe Lofgren, the California Democrat who questioned Miss Napolitano on the raids, said the laws need to be enforced but said raids, including Tuesday's, have swept up legal residents and citizens as well.
"There is concern that Americans have repeatedly, in the past years, been held in some cases for 10 and 11 hours against their will, and it does not seem to comport with the requirements of the law or the Constitution," she said, asking the secretary to address that issue in her review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,266 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Gee, do you think that could be the reason I posted the link?
I wouldn't want to put words in your mouth. I hereby grant you the award for "last word" in advance as I know you will reply to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
In any criminal investigation, the innocent are interrogated along with the guilty. Many are held for hours for questioning to determine the truth, and later released. Illegal immigration raids should not be the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,774,369 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In any criminal investigation, the innocent are interrogated along with the guilty. Many are held for hours for questioning to determine the truth, and later released. Illegal immigration raids should not be the exception.
Ms. Napolitano did nothing, zip, nadda & zero as gov. of AZ. She paid a lot of lip service about border control while being one of the biggest pro-illegal avocates in the state. Benicar got it right, If you are legal, why worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Ms. Napolitano did nothing, zip, nadda & zero as gov. of AZ. She paid a lot of lip service about border control while being one of the biggest pro-illegal avocates in the state. Benicar got it right, If you are legal, why worry?
Unfortunately, that is what a lot of them do. Do you think they'll get it when we take to the streets in protest of their treason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In any criminal investigation, the innocent are interrogated along with the guilty. Many are held for hours for questioning to determine the truth, and later released. Illegal immigration raids should not be the exception.
So true. We're not talking about being hustled off to prison here...or beaten...or thrown into concentration camps. We're talking about being inconvenienced, maybe uncomfortable, and annoyed.

Welcome to the REAL WORLD, folks. When your kid is using drugs, expect to have the cops and the District Attorney in your life. Got a spouse who receives 'hot' merchandise? Expect to be caught up in his problems. Got a house guest who's not legally allowed to live in the US? If he lives under your roof, you may find your life impacted by his actions. That's how 'being illegal' works. The 'guilty' person impacts those around him, by his presence.

I know...I've found myself 'inconvenienced', too, by the actions of family members. That's what happens when those in our family put us in jeopardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
So true. We're not talking about being hustled off to prison here...or beaten...or thrown into concentration camps. We're talking about being inconvenienced, maybe uncomfortable, and annoyed.

Welcome to the REAL WORLD, folks. When your kid is using drugs, expect to have the cops and the District Attorney in your life. Got a spouse who receives 'hot' merchandise? Expect to be caught up in his problems. Got a house guest who's not legally allowed to live in the US? If he lives under your roof, you may find your life impacted by his actions. That's how 'being illegal' works. The 'guilty' person impacts those around him, by his presence.

I know...I've found myself 'inconvenienced', too, by the actions of family members. That's what happens when those in our family put us in jeopardy.
Absolutely! Also, I am reminded of a time when entering a rock concert involved simply displaying a ticket. Now, in certain venues, they do everything but collect blood -- all due to the behavior of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top