U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,087,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They learn the culture and language of their homelands through their parents at home. I never met a Hispanic family yet whether they be here legally or illegally that didn't practice that culture in their homes or didn't know their native langauge (that would be true of other illegals also). Many live in Hispanic neighborhoods so I don't know what you mean by they can't identify with their homelands.

The topic is about college educated illegals so why would they only get $8.00 a day if they moved back to their homelands? I don't know why it would be considered a horror for them to go back to their homelands. No, it wasn't their fault that they were brought here illegally however it isn't punishing them for their parent's mistakes but rather not rewarding their parents for theirs.
We have college educated citizens not making any wages a day here. And, I agree as we lived in the Tucson area and I worked at the schools and they speak both Spanish and English. English As a Second Language was sucking up a big portion of the funding for "Special Needs" or so I was told and shortly informed them that my child with special needs had no language what yet a second one - no money left for a decent amount of speech therapy! Schools didn't care because a butt in a seat, whether legal or not, still gets the same amount of funding per student unless they were "special needs", so guess the English As A Second Language was a bonus.

When your parents are criminals, it doesn't matter the crime, the kids pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Mexico has half the unemployment rates we have here, the illegals can go to Mexico and find jobs.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:27 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,423,613 times
According to this DREAMIE she had no problem getting a job as an RN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveran
I'm an RN and I've been working on a med-surg/cardiac telemetry floor for 6 months. I would be very leery of a nurse who went into an FNP program with no actual RN experience.

I've heard of those "direct entry" programs and according to what I know, it is extremely difficult finding a job with an MSN and no experience. You're overqualified for bedside nursing and vastly underexperienced for FNP practice.
Obviously this isn't an ideal situation for anyone in our situation. I would love to be able to get real nursing experience. Do you have any suggestions as to how I may be able to go about getting that? I'm not sure how you are able to work in a hospital setting. Are you also undocumented?

For a lot of us with our nursing license, we have no idea what our next step should be. What's the best way to maintain our nursing skills? Other than working privately, and volunteering, which I'm currently doing, returning for a masters seems to be the only way to maintain my nursing knowledge.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Post your reply or quote more messages.
Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Joined in Nov 2011
5 posts

Saveran SaveranView Public ProfileSend a private message to SaveranFind all posts by Saveran

0AP

Private duty nursing is also an option for a licensed RN who is undocumented.

I got my job through a temp/travel agency.
It doesn't get much scarier than this.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Arizona Republic article

It is looking more and more that the DREAMies are in some real trouble.

It's over; just return home peacefully and get in line to come to the USA legally.
My heart goes out to those who have earned their degrees and can not get jobs, and I don't care where they are from. That being said, they know they are illegal, they should have seen this coming. Heck, we have a lot of kids getting degrees that are either Americans or have gotten here legally and they can't get jobs either.

Nita

Old 12-24-2011, 12:28 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,559,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Arizona Republic article

It is looking more and more that the DREAMies are in some real trouble.

It's over; just return home peacefully and get in line to come to the USA legally.
We should grant amnesty in the form of Permanent Residency to such people but NOT US citizenship unless they serve in the Armed Forces. Some of these people have been here since they were little kids and if they want to be productive people and live here, fine with me. I don't have any beef with them as long as they work, pay taxes and stay out of trouble with the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I just don't understand why these educated illegals insist on staying in America. I always hear how racist or how intolerant America and Americans are. Why in the world would you stay in such an inhospitable place? Return to your native home and use your education to improve the country.
If you were brought here when you were 3 or 4 years old and you don't know anything about Mexico and have little ability to speak Spanish, you are not going to do very good in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It makes little sense. With the qualifications of an American higher education, they can go back to their own countries and demand higher salaries and good jobs. They can work to effect change there so that their countries become more like this one (if that is what they want).

Or they can do what millions of hardworking people do and apply to come here and stay legally.
They cannot just apply and come here legally. The current law bans you from even applying if you were illegally present in the country in the past for 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Not a bad idea, but then they would have to live in conditions not as nice as here....
The biggest problem with Mexico is the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church and it's "no birth control allowed" stupidity has caused more suffering and over population in Mexico and most of the world. It is just that the Irish and Italians have figured this out. The Mexicans have yet to do so but sooner or later they will figure it out and stop overpopulating their country. And when they do, it will be a nicer and more prosperous place to live. It is a beautiful country with good resources and it could have a very good standard of life if not for the fact it is so overpopulated.

Last edited by Yac; 12-27-2011 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 12-24-2011, 05:05 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
If you were brought here when you were 3 or 4 years old and you don't know anything about Mexico and have little ability to speak Spanish, you are not going to do very good in Mexico.
That's not my problem. They have only their parents to blame. It also defies belief to assert that someone brought up with Spanish speaking parents cannot speak Spanish or is unfamiliar with their parent's culture. Mexicans should stop using this country as their back up plan in life and stop arguing that we should grant them and their kids the right to American citizenship if they do so.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:34 PM

313 posts, read 274,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That's not my problem.
Then stop posting about illegals then. I mean, the situation doesn't affect you.
It's not your problem.

Quote:
They have only their parents to blame. It also defies belief to assert that someone brought up with Spanish speaking parents cannot speak Spanish or is unfamiliar with their parent's culture.
er, I work/have worked with plenty of Mexicans9who were born here) that don't speak Spanish and had one or more parents (step parents too) that came south of the border. I know Asians with the same thing going on. I knew a few Vietnamese Americans who didn't speak Vietnamese despite their parents origins.

Quote:
Mexicans should stop using this country as their back up plan in life and stop arguing that we should grant them and their kids the right to American citizenship if they do so.
The kids are already Americans. As for the parents it's another story.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,475,967 times
Sorry, your time as being a freeloading, illegal, having all the free education, access to healthcare, is over. You are now to go back to your country of origin.

Blame your law breaking parents, not me, for your screwed up mess of a life. They knowingly fluanted American laws. They showed no respect for the laws of this country, or gave little regard for the impact it would have on your life. Sorry your PARENTS did this to you.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Then stop posting about illegals then. I mean, the situation doesn't affect you.
It's not your problem.
It is not my problem that illegals can't stay here and claim American citizenship and access to American taxpayer funded services. It is damned well my problem when they claim otherwise. I should not have to pay taxes to educate Mexican children or finance medical care for Mexican citizens or provide them with food or housing.

Quote:
er, I work/have worked with plenty of Mexicans9who were born here) that don't speak Spanish and had one or more parents (step parents too) that came south of the border. I know Asians with the same thing going on. I knew a few Vietnamese Americans who didn't speak Vietnamese despite their parents origins.
Congratulations. I daresay that does not describe most young illegals. And if does, again that is not problem. Their lack of preparation to return to their home countries in on them to solve not me.

Quote:
The kids are already Americans. As for the parents it's another story.
If an illegal comes here with a child the child is not an American no matter how much the criminal parents might wish otherwise.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:36 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,156,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Nonsense. What language do you think they were taught to speak at home by their parents? Kids adapt anyways. Parents move all over this planet with their families. Not our problem anyway. Their parents caused this themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or