U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Then stop posting about illegals then. I mean, the situation doesn't affect you.
It's not your problem.

er, I work/have worked with plenty of Mexicans9who were born here) that don't speak Spanish and had one or more parents (step parents too) that came south of the border. I know Asians with the same thing going on. I knew a few Vietnamese Americans who didn't speak Vietnamese despite their parents origins.

The kids are already Americans. As for the parents it's another story.
Illegal immigration impacts most Americans negatively so what are you talking about? No, one is not an American unless they have citizenship here.

As for language, these kids learned our language when they came here didn't they? Then they can learn the language of their homelands when returning to them also. Most of them are bi-lingual after attending our schools anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
sad about illegals jumping on the american dream wagon.
i thought they were smarter than that. i guess they can always go back to mexico.
america is a land where anybody can rack up as much debt as they want on their dream.
lenders dont seem to care. or do they? i mean why so free with the loans?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-24-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
We should grant amnesty in the form of Permanent Residency to such people but NOT US citizenship unless they serve in the Armed Forces. Some of these people have been here since they were little kids and if they want to be productive people and live here, fine with me. I don't have any beef with them as long as they work, pay taxes and stay out of trouble with the police.
Wrong! We tried amnesty back in 1986 and all it did was quadruple or more our illegal immigration population today. Americans need those jobs they are holding. Only citizens should serve in our military, IMO.

Most of these illegals have committed felony I.D. theft to work or worked under the table committing tax evasion. We are just to forgive that?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:07 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
There was an article awhile back, a female college student was asked for her papers, ie student visa, and it was determined she was illegal. And her family as well. There was a big deal made about the officers asking for her ID, apparently she was trying to buy liquor. Anyway, what was interesting to me, is how the officers were maligned for doing their job. And obviously everyone wanted the whole thing to go away. And how ICE should only arrest and deport "criminals", not college students.

If being here illegally is not criminal, and breaking the law, then either change the laws or enforce them. Don't just pretend they don't exist and ignore them.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
I guess these illegals thought amnesty and citizenship was a "given" if they put 4-5 years into getting a college education. They should have known from the start that citizenship was just as important as that degree in getting a high paying white collar job in the US.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:03 AM

IMO, just because a kid was brought here illegally by their parents and now they want to go to college in our country they shouldn't be given a pass on the enforcement of our immigration laws. I am of the same opinion about any illegal who has been here for several years. Just because they managed to evade our laws for several years they shouldn't be rewarded for it. I reiterate that both groups have probably used fake or stolen I.D.'s to work or didn't pay income taxes on their wages. There is no reason that they should be treated special. We don't need them we need the jobs they have taken.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM

387 posts, read 270,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
IMO, just because a kid was brought here illegally by their parents and now they want to go to college in our country they shouldn't be given a pass on the enforcement of our immigration laws. I am of the same opinion about any illegal who has been here for several years. Just because they managed to evade our laws for several years they shouldn't be rewarded for it. I reiterate that both groups have probably used fake or stolen I.D.'s to work or didn't pay income taxes on their wages. There is no reason that they should be treated special. We don't need them we need the jobs they have taken.
So you believe it is wise to cut off your nose to spite your face?

The DREAMIES represent a potentially large return to the society. We have paid for their basic education through high school. At this education level they are basically economically neutral. They will pay their own way but just. If they complete college they become much bigger contributors to the society and return far more than they cost.

Having made the basic investment why not harvest the return.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
So you believe it is wise to cut off your nose to spite your face?

The DREAMIES represent a potentially large return to the society. We have paid for their basic education through high school. At this education level they are basically economically neutral. They will pay their own way but just. If they complete college they become much bigger contributors to the society and return far more than they cost.

Having made the basic investment why not harvest the return.
They would be taking seats in our colleges and funds for their education that should be for Americans. We don't have unlimited funds to help with everybody's college educations. How would allowing them to do that be cutting off our noses to spite our faces?

We have enough college educated young Americans competing for jobs already when they get out of school. We don't need foreign competition also. Why don't they go back to their homelands with their taxpayer funded K-12 education and attend colleges there and be assets to their own countries? You sound just like a banned poster "Olecapt" reincarnated. Hmm.

I have no further need to correspond with you. Bye.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
The key word here is "illegal", that means you don't belong here. Now, you have some choices, go to your country of origin, and apply to come here like everyone else who wants to be a US citizen.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 PM

387 posts, read 270,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The key word here is "illegal", that means you don't belong here. Now, you have some choices, go to your country of origin, and apply to come here like everyone else who wants to be a US citizen.
They are here and their obvious choice is to remain here.

How is it you think you can change their minds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or