U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM

309 posts, read 748,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
This is the stupidest post I've come upon so far.

You do know this is what is called a "witch hunt" right, and racial profiling to boot? Let's just harass people, and sure, they won't mind if they're legal. A little humiliation in front of everyone is nothing and probably is even good for one's health.

I can stand illegals, they're just trying to make a living - it's people like you who so easily volunteers others to sacrifice that I can't stand.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 PM

362 posts, read 678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
mac, i am not fixated on the color of my skin. it just becomes apparent when certain incidents occur.

as for why it happens to me? or other individuals? well the police always have justifications.

i was wearing a beanie.
i was wearing a hooded sweater, even if it is a stripped RL cashmere, gay as hell sweater.
i drive an older model grey/light blue asian(toyo,honda) car... those are constantly stolen and used to do dirt apparently.
my passenger looked at them.
they thought i was going to give them "attitude" (they didnt tell me this, but a cop friend of mine who intervened on my behalf via the radio tole me this). <thats the short version
it was 3am and they said i waited at a light too long.
"you fit the description"

its crazy.

you would think that having baby seats and kids in the backseat would make them think twice about me, but it dont.

in all these incidents, even the times they have me get out the car (which they do only in certain parts of the city) i have had utmost respect for the cops. its hard to. but i do. when they ask me about warrants. drugs. jail time. i tell them IM NOT THE ONE. its a hassle.

first thing i do is surreptitiously glance their name in order to adress them as officer whatever.
i be serious with them. and even try to sound educated. i even started wearing glasses so they think im a geek.
no back talking. i keep my hands where they can see them. no sudden movements.

i dont want to give them any reason to shoot me. this is LA. that happens quite abit.

you learn how to deal with this stuff.
it dont make it any more palatable.
but i deal with it.

audits and studies of CHP(CA hiway patrol) have found that black and brown men are stopped and detained at a higher rate than white folk. even tho the chances of finding drugs and guns is higher in the white folk they pull over.

i just read an article today in the LA times about a highway city in TX, tehana, where motorists, mostly black motorists were being took for their money and belongings in exchange for "charges" being dropped.

Driving through Tenaha, Texas, doesn't pay for some - Los Angeles Times

profiling happens. what can i do to avoid it?
sure i could move. or go straight from work to home. not go out. not visit with friends. lock myself in doors because my neighborhood is the way it is. but thats not the life i want to lead. id rather adress the problems in my neighborhood.
yall are lucky you dont see/feel this. i live it. and its not my fault.

trying to place the blame on those profiled is ridiculous.

next time that girl gets raped i will question why she was wearing such a short skirt. or the next time an old man gets mugged i will ask him why he was out alone...

ya, its my fault

you're in LA, bro, I can't blame you for being paranoid, but ****, I'm in CT and I don't bother the officers if they want to see my ID or whatever.....it's all about how you carry yourself. I had an officer pull me over at 3 in the morning for running a light, he gave me the sobriety test, and let me go with a warning. It might be becuased I look Italian and my name even sounds italian, but if you play it right, you'll get a let-go...cops have to go through mad paper to get you to go to a trial...so they don't need that type of **** at 3 in the am...unless you give them a reason to really want to write it up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration