U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
If I'm in boston I will call ICE if I see a bunch of irish together!
Note to self: stay away from Boston-----------and, I am not of Irish heritage (1/4 Scots-Irish does not count )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 AM

3,193 posts, read 2,864,220 times
You know, I can understand the feelings people of color have about profiling. So many have been harrassed based on their color that it would obviously be a sore spot. And you know, it's a sore spot for me as well because as a white skinned man I have been profiled and harrassed several times simply because I had friends who lived in predominantly black neighborhoods.

Just being white in these neighborhoods somehow gives these cops cause to stop and search any white man traveling through the area. It's crazy and it is harrassment. And I bet this sort of profiling has slipped everyone's mind. Because if you are white, people seem to think you have some sort of invisible cloak that keeps you away from harm and harrassment. Profiling happens all around. And I bet everyone here is damn glad to have profiling around when it's time to hunt down a middle aged white serial killer.

So please, understand that these injustices happen to everyone, not just people of color.

Also, aside from walking up and asking to see a green card or worker visa there is no way to be 100% sure about whether or not an immigrant is an illegal. So the best you can do is investigate to the best of your ability and weigh the evidence. If you are checking on a group of immigrants who have no English speaking ability and live bunched together in sub par housing you might just want to phone ICE.
If you are talking with a group of state employed hispanic road workers who seem to have a good working knowledge of English, you can probably put down the phone.

Basically, if you want to fight the good fight, do it responsibly. Do not simply harrass every foreign person you see. Do some research and try to establish the legality of the immigrant in question. In the end, it's up to you and your own personal judgement. But there has to be a point where investigation becomes harrassment, and complacency becomes toxic.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I can understand the feelings people of color have about profiling. So many have been harrassed based on their color that it would obviously be a sore spot. And you know, it's a sore spot for me as well because as a white skinned man I have been profiled and harrassed several times simply because I had friends who lived in predominantly black neighborhoods.

Just being white in these neighborhoods somehow gives these cops cause to stop and search any white man traveling through the area. It's crazy and it is harrassment. And I bet this sort of profiling has slipped everyone's mind. Because if you are white, people seem to think you have some sort of invisible cloak that keeps you away from harm and harrassment. Profiling happens all around. And I bet everyone here is damn glad to have profiling around when it's time to hunt down a middle aged white serial killer.

So please, understand that these injustices happen to everyone, not just people of color.

Also, aside from walking up and asking to see a green card or worker visa there is no way to be 100% sure about whether or not an immigrant is an illegal. So the best you can do is investigate to the best of your ability and weigh the evidence. If you are checking on a group of immigrants who have no English speaking ability and live bunched together in sub par housing you might just want to phone ICE.
If you are talking with a group of state employed hispanic road workers who seem to have a good working knowledge of English, you can probably put down the phone.

Basically, if you want to fight the good fight, do it responsibly. Do not simply harrass every foreign person you see. Do some research and try to establish the legality of the immigrant in question. In the end, it's up to you and your own personal judgement. But there has to be a point where investigation becomes harrassment, and complacency becomes toxic.
And; in your case, since you made mention in the past of being in part Native American Indian, you too are a 'person of color' in the legal sense-------despite being obviously White judging by your appearance.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM

217 posts, read 368,036 times
Default not about ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Lovely, multicultural heaven!! Sounds like a GREAT society. Last night, I had a large group of people outside sitting around a bonfire at my house...about 50% Hispanics, and a couple more who LOOKED Hispanic.

Now I find I should have gone in the house and called ICE?

Great!....I LOVE this society we're developing.

Let's come out swinging...no hitting below the belt....and may the BEST ETHNIC GROUP WIN!! Wonderful.

I have a better idea...why not just get rid of the illegals, and then maybe we won't have to call ICE on our families and neighbors? Sound like a plan?...

Bingo..

its not about ethics at all.. its about Get Legal or Get OUT.. I can't afford you any more.. MY country is busted thanks to you and Government pork spendings and we are no longer the prosperous America..

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
If I'm in boston I will call ICE if I see a bunch of irish together!

If 40 million illegal undocumented Irishmen poured in to America with its hands out begging for Welfare, sec 8. medical bill help, drivers license, drugs, diseases, and this American Government pays their way with tax dollars.. sure...

Call ICE

Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM

3,193 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; in your case, since you made mention in the past of being in part Native American Indian, you too are a 'person of color' in the legal sense-------despite being obviously White judging by your appearance.
Very true! In fact, I had a particularly funny experience when I was around 20! See, I am about as white as they come in the winter, but get me out in the sun and my true "color" comes out. A Rent America delivery man came to my door one fine summer day. I answered the door, looked out, and the guy says, "Do you speak English?" Of course, I replied "All my life!" See, I have often been accused of looking like a "Mexican" in the summer time because I tan deeply and my high cheek bones and other features are very reminiscent of Indian or Mexican Indian bloodlines. So it's funny how we can all come in contact with some of the funnier experiences in life regarding color as well as the unfortunate racist scenarios.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM

cute one...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM

194 posts, read 400,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
1-866-DHS-2-ICE (1-866-347-2423). Call Annonymously if you want..If you think an employer is hiring illegals or if you see a "hot house" lots of immigrants in one house, call ICE .. they will check on it.. its worth a phone call.. They are urging you to call. Like i see 20-30 immigrants in a field picking corn, at mcDonalds or working construction or whatever.. i called ice a couple times and they no longer working near me.. Also i see lots doing road work.. probably working for your state or a subcontractor , I would call Ice.. it works. And ask ICE for their TAG #. they will give you that but not their name.. that way you know they will report what you say.. i'd ask for TAG # up front first.. gl.

1-866-DHS-2-ICE (1-866-347-2423).

Join Help Save Maryland to fight this Illegal Alien Invasion. End all taxpayer funding to CASA- or Central American Solidarity Association with ties to Marxist Hugo Chavez NOW! Our very sovereignty is at stake!

WWW.HELPSAVEMARYLAND.COM

www.ice.gov
www.ilw.com
Issues | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
ALIPAC Fighting Against Illegal Immigration

Judicial Watch
need facts..Go to these urls..
This is a joke, right? If you want to do your part to stop illegal immigration, that's fine, it is your right, and it's an issue that many people are passionate about tackling. But to actually recommend that people call ICE when they see a gropup of hispanic people, C'mon that is just blatantly wrong, and I'm surprised this thread was even allowed to be posted. I don't even feel right dignifying this with a response, but I couldn't help myself!! Even by the most liberal estimates (not anti immigrant propaganda, but actual formulated estimates), nearly 80 percent of the hispanics in the U.S. are legal immigrants, so chances are the majority of the people you would suspect as illegals, are probably here legally. Chances are, if you see a lot of immigrants in one house, they're probably splitting living costs to get ahead, immigrants have done that for centuries. A post like this blantantly advocates the harrassment of immigrants, it's disgusting If you really want to catch illegals, do your research first to see if your suspicions are justified before sending government officials on witch hunts. Anybody taking the advice of a post like this, would just create a bunch of racially charged tension in a time when we as a nation need to come together to fight all that is weighing against us. I pray to God nobody takes this poster seriously!!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
This is a joke, right? If you want to do your part to stop illegal immigration, that's fine, it is your right, and it's an issue that many people are passionate about tackling. But to actually recommend that people call ICE when they see a gropup of hispanic people, C'mon that is just blatantly wrong, and I'm surprised this thread was even allowed to be posted. I don't even feel right dignifying this with a response, but I couldn't help myself!! Even by the most liberal estimates (not anti immigrant propaganda, but actual formulated estimates), nearly 80 percent of the hispanics in the U.S. are legal immigrants, so chances are the majority of the people you would suspect as illegals, are probably here legally. Chances are, if you see a lot of immigrants in one house, they're probably splitting living costs to get ahead, immigrants have done that for centuries. A post like this blantantly advocates the harrassment of immigrants, it's disgusting If you really want to catch illegals, do your research first to see if your suspicions are justified before sending government officials on witch hunts. Anybody taking the advice of a post like this, would just create a bunch of racially charged tension in a time when we as a nation need to come together to fight all that is weighing against us. I pray to God nobody takes this poster seriously!!
O but most posters on here do take him very seriously. He fits in right at home.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 AM

Default apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
Apparently you didn't click on the links i sent you.. or you wouldn't of said any of these lies.. who tells you this.. like i said before..if you see a group call ice.. let them figure it out and if you are mexican and are legal to be here, you wouldn't worry about it..I have done much research on this and i also come from immigrants and the ones coming here now are NOT immigrants but Illegal.. thats the difference.. of course i'm not racist.. How can i be a racist and an immigrant also? i never was even when the states was all about blacks and whites only.. but i tell you something.. the presidential election was all about race..even though he is a split black and white.. i too have hispanic friends and we have big discussions and they don't like it either that they coming here with their hands out instead of getting legal.. so go open the 3 links i sent you.. put mouse over it and left click..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration