U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM

876 posts, read 1,003,943 times

Advertisements

Is this asking too much? I mean, the taxpayers pay for illegal children to learn English in schools right? And don't say Spanish is already offered to us in grade school. It is, but I breezed through that class without learning any Spanish. We continue to spend money on illegal children until they learn English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,694,741 times
I pay for your kids' education with my property, local and state taxes, I don't have any kids. Is that fair? No. Give it up.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM

9,342 posts, read 16,396,970 times
My kids are being taught spanish at taxpayers expense and so was I, many decades ago. They are now also offering Mandarin here, as well.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,285,110 times
Or how about the government provide free classes in all our ancestors' languages? Why should someone not from Mexico have to learn Spanish when they have their own ancestry?

Have free French, Swahili, German, Mandarin Chinese, the over 100 Indian dialects, Russian, Arabic and so on taught at taxpayer expense.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,158,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or how about the government provide free classes in all our ancestors' languages? Why should someone not from Mexico have to learn Spanish when they have their own ancestry?

Have free French, Swahili, German, Mandarin Chinese, the over 100 Indian dialects, Russian, Arabic and so on taught at taxpayer expense.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the goal to maintain English as the common language in this country?

So you feel slighted because the people you want to speak English, are learning English, and your solution to that(so you feel better about it) is to have the government teach people their "ancestor's language" to spur some kind of reverse assimilation?
Ooookayy..
I think the OP was about the government funding programs to teach students English. I thought people learning English was a good thing.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Someone that is not from Mexico is learning Spanish in class because Hispanics are the biggest minority in the USA. You would like your kids to be bilingual just as the rest of the Hispanics kids too right? Learning another language, whatever it might be, is an advantage in today's GLOBAL businesses. It has nothing to do with English only laws or the dissapearing of English as a dominant language in the USA.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 AM

17,302 posts, read 13,769,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Someone that is not from Mexico is learning Spanish in class because Hispanics are the biggest minority in the USA. You would like your kids to be bilingual just as the rest of the Hispanics kids too right? Learning another language, whatever it might be, is an advantage in today's GLOBAL businesses.
Sure, if your business deals in picking fruit or digging ditches.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sure, if your business deals in picking fruit or digging ditches.
Or if it involves doing business with the second riches man on Earth, Carlos Slim Helú, which happens to be a MEXICAN....or dealing with Europe's biggest bank, Banco Santander, a SPANISH bank......

List of the 100 wealthiest people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Grupo Santander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM

2,041 posts, read 954,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the goal to maintain English as the common language in this country?

So you feel slighted because the people you want to speak English, are learning English, and your solution to that(so you feel better about it) is to have the government teach people their "ancestor's language" to spur some kind of reverse assimilation?
Ooookayy..
I think the OP was about the government funding programs to teach students English. I thought people learning English was a good thing.
I thought the op was about paying for him to learn "spanish", not the other way around. I don 't know the op, but, i feel "slighted" because you want us (the taxpayers) to pay for ESL. The solution might be to have "no child left behind" by sending them back to thier country with thier parents. Reverse assimilation might work in Mexico. Besides all that. who cares if Carlos Slim is the 2 richest man in the world. He hasen't done much 2 change Mexico has he??

Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,285,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Someone that is not from Mexico is learning Spanish in class because Hispanics are the biggest minority in the USA. You would like your kids to be bilingual just as the rest of the Hispanics kids too right? Learning another language, whatever it might be, is an advantage in today's GLOBAL businesses. It has nothing to do with English only laws or the dissapearing of English as a dominant language in the USA.
It would be better to learn Japanese of Chinese as far as global business goes.

If my kids were going to go into social work, then definitely they should learn Spanish. If they go into science French or Russian, maybe German would be a good foreign language.

The high drop out rate and early teen pregnancy rate pretty much proves how much good it's doing to keep hispanic kids speaking Spanish and never assimilating into US culture. I'd rather see my kids compete with some of those Asian students who quickly learn English......and math and science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration