Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,402,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The only areas of the U.S. that have benefitted from NAFTA are the Border states. If you listened to the rhetoric during our presidential campaign, everyone was screaming about NAFTA's negative effects on U.S. manufacturing and the candidates were promising changes. We'll see if Obama keeps that promise. Heh, Mexicans and Canadians shouldn't get too worried.

Now, I will agree that the Border region of Texas, where I lived, saw big improvements when NAFTA was instituted. Double-digit unemployment was cut in half. However, that area still subsists on low-wage, low-skill jobs.

As per the safety of Mexican candy and such, I can only provide what I've read on the subject.

Investigation: Lead in Mexican Candy | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

This is a huge, multi-part series:
The Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/investigations/2004/lead/index.php - broken link)

You and yours can eat and drink whatever you like, of course. But tests in the U.S. have discovered there IS a problem and there have been lawsuits. The Mexican producers lost. I, for one, wouldn't let my kid touch the stuff mostly for what was in it -- who in their right mind would load their kids up with "treats" comprised of mostly salt and chili powder? It's no wonder that diabetes and high blood pressure are endemic among the Hispanic population.

Speaking of which, the U.S. has spent billions of dollars on health care and education aimed at the large percentage of Hispanic immigrants here who have uncontrolled diabetes. Many remain non-compliant and succumb to the critical complications that other populations don't encounter.

Now that I realize you're writing from Mexico, I understand your perspective a bit more, especially since I used to live on the Border and I've traveled all over Mexico, including the Yucatan. I still live in Texas but now I'm about 550 miles north of the Border and the perspectives here vary widely from the Border, as does the economy and quality of life.

What you don't understand, though, is the way we live and eat now is very different from how it was even 35 years ago, when I was a child growing up in Pennsylvania. So, while you may not believe things can change, I see how they probably will, going back to the way it used to be. Back then, most people had even a small garden and bought locally raised produce, eating what was in season. My mom and relatives froze and canned the produce to eat later. Folks wouldn't buy produce that was "shipped in" because it simply didn't appeal. And it DOESN'T taste good.

Back then, we didn't have all of these recalls, salmonella outbreaks and contamination. People are getting fed up. I saw a program on the news last weekend about people across the country planting "victory gardens" and growing their own produce, a look back at the WWII "victory gardens" that Americans planted so the crops raised could be dedicated to feeding the troops.

Moreover, our Homeland Security experts have repeatedly warned that having our food supply grown and shipped in foreign countries puts us at risk. Between that, the contamination, and the economy, there will be a shift back to the way it used to be. The well-off are demanding "organic" products, as well.
Regarding the food I agree with you 100% I'm vegetarian, and eat (whenever is possible) organic products, whole wheat products, brown sugar, etc, there is a very good organic store called the green corner, food is more expensive though, but you are supporting local producers, my health is in top condition because of this, I also excercize regularly.

Yet, I eat mexican candies from time to time hehe, but as with everything else, the problem is excess, I'm gonna read the articles with attention though, and i'll try to get one of those at home lead tests, I'm sure finding one wouldn't be that hard.

Now let me tell you that I also lived and worked (legally) in the US and I've traveled around it, and I agree with what you said, perspectives and life of quality vary, IMHO if you are well educated, life quality in Mexico is very good, more natural and healthy, it is easier to find all kinds of fruits and healthy food, or live a less stressed more laidback lifestyle, the problem lies in big cities, where people is addicted to antojitos (Mexican fast food) and lack common sense on what is healthy food, but as you stated this happens in the US too.

Interestingly enough, many newspapers and politicians claim that depending on imported food puts the safety and health of this country at risk, yet globalization arrived to stay, maybe we'll return to a more healthy, less materialistic and more spiritual lifestyle after learning the hard way.

I do believe that we (mankind) are still in the stone age in many issues, we are still divided by many things, people seems more interested in pointing to the differences that to things that could unite us, we are more interested in arguing or proving the other wrong rather than trying to listen and understand.

I believe this us vs them mindset will stop one day, when we realize that those borders and countries are but artificial divisions, that nationalism is something irrational, and that in our never ending quest for happiness and fullfillment, we've just lost our precious lifes with materialism, selfishness and pettyness.

I mean is there really a big difference between 2 human beings born in different cultures? many people will say yes but I don't agree, we all possess a heart, we all have souls, even if our egoes are strong we all have the ability to put it under the soul's control.

When people from the entire world wake up and realize that the only thing that can give us that what we strive so long to obtain is in our interior, and that unity and respect between individuals is the solution, until then we can say we are civilized.

There are only 2 kinds of energy, vibrations from spirit, which possess the power of attraction, they create unity, harmony, peace and bonds.

and the vibrations of delusion, which posses the power of repulsion, creating divisions, chaos, wars and hatred.

svasti prajabhyam paripalayantham nyayeana margena mahim maheesah
gobrahmanebhya shubamsthu nityam lokah samastha sukhino bhavanthu

May there be well being to the people;
May our leaders rule the earth along the right path;
May all the world's civilizations be freed from ignorance and suffering;
May all living beings in all the worlds become happy, healthy and prosperous;
Peace, peace and peace be everywhere!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 03-04-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Regarding the food I agree with you 100% I'm vegetarian, and eat (whenever is possible) organic products, whole wheat products, brown sugar, etc, there is a very good organic store called the green corner, food is more expensive though, but you are supporting local producers, my health is in top condition because of this, I also excercize regularly.

Yet, I eat mexican candies from time to time hehe, but as with everything else, the problem is excess, I'm gonna read the articles with attention though, and i'll try to get one of those at home lead tests, I'm sure finding one wouldn't be that hard.

Now let me tell you that I also lived and worked (legally) in the US and I've traveled around it, and I agree with what you said, perspectives and life of quality vary, IMHO if you are well educated, life quality in Mexico is very good, more natural and healthy, it is easier to find all kinds of fruits and healthy food, or live a less stressed more laidback lifestyle, the problem lies in big cities, where people is addicted to antojitos (Mexican fast food) and lack common sense on what is healthy food, but as you stated this happens in the US too.

Interestingly enough, many newspapers and politicians claim that depending on imported food puts the safety and health of this country at risk, yet globalization arrived to stay, maybe we'll return to a more healthy, less materialistic and more spiritual lifestyle after learning the hard way.

I do believe that we (mankind) are still in the stone age in many issues, we are still divided by many things, people seems more interested in pointing to the differences that to things that could unite us, we are more interested in arguing or proving the other wrong rather than trying to listen and understand.

I believe this us vs them mindset will stop one day, when we realize that those borders and countries are but artificial divisions, that nationalism is something irrational, and that in our never ending quest for happiness and fullfillment, we've just lost our precious lifes with materialism, selfishness and pettyness.

I mean is there really a big difference between 2 human beings born in different cultures? many people will say yes but I don't agree, we all possess a heart, we all have souls, even if our egoes are strong we all have the ability to put it under the soul's control.

When people from the entire world wake up and realize that the only thing that can give us that what we strive so long to obtain is in our interior, and that unity and respect between individuals is the solution, until then we can say we are civilized.

There are only 2 kinds of energy, vibrations from spirit, which possess the power of attraction, they create unity, harmony, peace and bonds.

and the vibrations of delusion, which posses the power of repulsion, creating divisions, chaos, wars and hatred.

svasti prajabhyam paripalayantham nyayeana margena mahim maheesah
gobrahmanebhya shubamsthu nityam lokah samastha sukhino bhavanthu

May there be well being to the people;
May our leaders rule the earth along the right path;
May all living beings in all the worlds become happy, healthy and prosperous;
Peace, peace and peace be everywhere!
Some good points and I believe so long as Nations rely on growth we are going to be in this mess. More people, more building, more consuming. How can it possibly be sustained? We are nearing the tipping point of what is sustainable for the human population imho. The byproducts are already evident, starvation, droughts, massive emigration, the list is endless.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some good points and I believe so long as Nations rely on growth we are going to be in this mess. More people, more building, more consuming. How can it possibly be sustained? We are nearing the tipping point of what is sustainable for the human population imho. The byproducts are already evident, starvation, droughts, massive emigration, the list is endless.
And in all fairness: the worldwide population growth rate is dropping precipitously as it is................

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times
Quote:
You have to take into account that the US government is fond of inventing all kinds of stories regarding the safety of products when they are pressed by companies in the US that are loosing the competition against foreign goods, I've consumed those products my entire life, and know people who has done the same for their entire lifes without any single thing happening to them.

Again I live in Mexico, consume all kinds of Mexican products, so do my friends, family, and so far nothing has happened, it's just pure FUD. Canada buys as much Mexican products as the US proportionately to their population size and there has never been a complaint.

In this I agree with you some products made in Mexico are of poor quality (not all but some) and hiring illegal labor is opening the door for trouble, same as buying pirate products, etc yet these workers are protected and given benefits, who is to blame for this?
Mexican citizens can ingest foods produced in Mexico without experiencing any adverse affects because their bodies are accustomed to the contaminants. Likewise, Mexican citizens can drink the water without experiencing gastrointestinal distress. Let a U.S. citizen try it, and they will be sick as a dog.

Like teatime, I also avoid Mexican products; in particular fruits and veggies. Whenever I grocery shop, I check the labels. If it is a product of Mexico (or China), I don’t buy it. I have also stopped buying Hershey products since they relocated to Mexico.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,365,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Mexican citizens can ingest foods produced in Mexico without experiencing any adverse affects because their bodies are accustomed to the contaminants. Likewise, Mexican citizens can drink the water without experiencing gastrointestinal distress. Let a U.S. citizen try it, and they will be sick as a dog.

Like teatime, I also avoid Mexican products; in particular fruits and veggies. Whenever I grocery shop, I check the labels. If it is a product of Mexico (or China), I don’t buy it. I have also stopped buying Hershey products since they relocated to Mexico.
Bravo, I couldn't have said it better or agree more.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,276,585 times
Quote:

Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM

608 posts, read 919,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
What are you skeptical about? Benicar's statements are true! Being a Texan, (darn close to the border) I'm VERY concerned about what I'm eating and where it comes from. Perhaps you haven't had many interactions with Mexicans? The people themselves aren't any dirtier than Americans, but anything produced in Mexico isn't made under the same strict standards it would be made in within the US.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Quote:
Use bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth. Most ice in the area comes from factories and is purified. If you are uncertain about the ice, ask your waiter.

Many travelers take risks with food and water. If you are on a long trip, being sick for a few days isn't such a big deal. If this is a week long vacation, do you really want to spend half of it sick just because you were too lazy to get the bottled water when you brushed your teeth? Some hotels and restaurants filter their water so you can drink it. If a hotel says they filter the water, ask them if they ever send it in to a lab for testing. Don Emilione does, but some others never do. Another way to stay safe is to rent a house and cook for yourself.

Fruits and vegetables usually come direct to the store from local farms and are not washed well. Many vegetables are contaminated by fertilizer (usually pig or human dung) and will make you sick. Most of the restaurants catering to tourists purify their fruits and vegetables with iodine drops before serving them. If they go through this process, there will be a note about it on the menu. If it isn't written on the menu, ask or don't eat uncooked or cold fruits and vegetables.
Don't drink the water, staying healthy in Mexico

Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,276,585 times
Quote:
So you're saying Mexicans are "used" to filth?
MANY, if not most, Americans eat products from Mexico.

Mexicans don't drink tap water. That's why you see so many water machines being used by immigrants in the US, along with bottled water sales in Mexico.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,455,965 times
Quote:
Truths can be painful sometimes, and I guess it's really painful to accept that the US, the world's lonely superpower, is so dependent of her southern neighboor. Yet the people in Washington know this, guess why Mexico can get away with things that most countries in the world wouldn't even dream of.
We don't need Mexico. We never have needed Mexico. Anything we get from Mexico we can get elsewhere. It may cost more, but if you figure in the cost of illegal aliens, the inexpensive tomatoes from south of the border no longer look like such a bargain. We would be better off without both. You may find it amusing that "Mexico can get away with things that most countries in the world wouldn't even dream of", but you see, here's the problem- many Americans don't find it amusing at all. And you are making the common mistake of equating the traitors in Washington with the American people, the two are distinctly different entities. While the cowards in DC may crumble under pressure from the left and the hispanic advocacy groups such as LaRaza, many of us feel no duty to put up with this nonsense and do not support the idea that anyone who wants can come waltzing into our country whenever they feel like it. The bottom line is that citizens of Mexico need to stay out of the US unless they have our permission to be here.

Quote:
In a nutshell, both countries need each other, they depend on each other, it isn't by chance that the two nations share a border and a common history, if we are stuck together for the time that these countries last common sense dictates that we have to learn to live with it.
Common sense dictates that if you are in a relationship that is dysfunctional to the extreme, then you get out of it. I do not see where we are getting much out of the US-Mexico relationship other than millions of poorly educated, unskilled illegals and frankly, that overshadows anything else that we do get out of it. There is not point in continuing this charade. It is time for Mexico to take back her citizens who are illegally in the US and work on solving problems that plague Mexican society. We need to be left alone so that we can work on solutions to the many serious issues we face. Sorry, but we can no longer serve as a dumping ground for your impoverished citizens. It is up to Mexico to improve their lives, not the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration