U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should non-citizens convicted of a federal crime serve their time in US prisons or in their countrys
They should serve their time in their countrys prisons 4 36.36%
They comitted their crime in the US they should serve in the US prisons 6 54.55%
It hurts my brain to think about it. 1 9.09%
I'm a complete moron so I really don't have an opinion 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
82 posts, read 178,359 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

This according to a February 19, 2009 report from the Pew Hispanic Center, a DC non-partisan think tank.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/graphics/104.gif (broken link)

And although Hispanics only make up 13% of the adult population, they represent 40% of those who have been sentenced in federal crimes. The report further identifies that "Most Latinos with federal sentences are not U.S. citizens."

How does that make you feel?

Should non citizens serve their time in their own countries jails where they don't have cable, a/c and all the comforts of a US federal prison at your expense and mine?

Tell me what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Tough call here:

If we simply deport the illegals in question: what is to stop those losers from (attempting) to cross our borders again and create mayhem?

Flip side: why should our tax dollars pay for the incarceration of same, rhetorically speaking?

Damned if you and damned if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
Reputation: 2244
i dont think that the countries to which we deport them will keep them locked up long enough. why would they want to enforce our (USA) rules in their countires. as it is we have a hard time extraditing individuals from countires who are opposed to the death penalty.

whats to ensure that the countires we send them to will feel they are indeed a threat to society. lets look at individuals locked up for felony reentry. or immigration offenses. would any country (aside from cuba) feel those trying to leave their home country are a real threat to society?

since they committed the crime here, make them pay here. let them see what its like to be locked up and then let them be chipped and deported.

but this does bring about another point. jail conditions. i just read an article about how good white collar criminals have it.

its disgusting. jail is jail. just because you have money dont mean you get to pick and choose how coosh your stint will be. granted, its not ok to put non serious offenders in with hardened criminals. but all this mumbo jumbo about personal TV's and yoga studios in jail is ridiculous.

make jails a place where people dont want to go. and lock up the criminals...

easy as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Reputation: 267
We need to grant amnesty to each and every one of these admirable and productive cherubs. They form the backbone that drives our economy forward and creates the kind of harmony that only they can provide for us all. Their hard-working ethics will be a blessing to our children whom we all hope will learn from them.

I hope that once released from their illegal incarcerations or pardoned for doing absolutely nothing wrong they will be allowed to resettle into our communities in order to provide more of their beneficial good will that our cities need so desperately. Hopefully, the law-abiding sanctuary cities will be the first to attract them in order to protect them from further immoral and illegal prosecutions for nothing else than being pleasant people.

These role models need to be appreciated not punished or deported, both of which are only wanted by racist, xenophobic, anti-Hispanic white racists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i dont think that the countries to which we deport them will keep them locked up long enough. why would they want to enforce our (USA) rules in their countires. as it is we have a hard time extraditing individuals from countires who are opposed to the death penalty.

whats to ensure that the countires we send them to will feel they are indeed a threat to society. lets look at individuals locked up for felony reentry. or immigration offenses. would any country (aside from cuba) feel those trying to leave their home country are a real threat to society?

since they committed the crime here, make them pay here. let them see what its like to be locked up and then let them be chipped and deported.

but this does bring about another point. jail conditions. i just read an article about how good white collar criminals have it.

its disgusting. jail is jail. just because you have money dont mean you get to pick and choose how coosh your stint will be. granted, its not ok to put non serious offenders in with hardened criminals. but all this mumbo jumbo about personal TV's and yoga studios in jail is ridiculous.

make jails a place where people dont want to go. and lock up the criminals...

easy as that.
I agree the sentence should be served in the US, even though it costs us a bundle. As has been pointed out, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. If we deport them to their home countries, they may only serve a short sentence or do no jail time at all. They are then free to once again illegally enter the US and commit more crimes. At least while they are jailed here, they are off the streets.

I agree that jail is 'too nice' in some ways. People who have committed very serious crimes should not be watching TV and going to weight rooms. They spend too much time sitting around thinking up new ways to get into trouble. With the exception of the insanely violent ones at places like Leavenworth and Tamms, the rest of them should have to do 8 hours of work a day instead of lying around all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
Reputation: 2244
you know that is another solution to this immigration problem.

i understand that lots and lots of immigrants, illegal and otherwise, DO do jobs that regualr US citizens won't or don't do. (its no wonder that the work place raids are occuring in nice factories and not in the fileds [but this might also be skewed by the policies implemented for field workers]). a good solution to the problem of immigration would be to decrease even the jobs that have long been a magnet for immigrants. how? use prison labor as field labor, or in other sectors where we utilize foreign workers. im not suggesting we bring back chain gangs. but...

the way i see it, the biggest problem would be escapism AND of course criminals(and their advocates) complaining about how hard the work is.

but we can always replace our field workers with inmates. sounds like a good plan. i just dont think it would work out. but it would def. make jail less inviting if criminals knew the prospect of back breaking field work awaited them.

we got to get as creative as criminals if you ask me (without overstepping certain boundaries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I agree the sentence should be served in the US, even though it costs us a bundle. As has been pointed out, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. If we deport them to their home countries, they may only serve a short sentence or do no jail time at all. They are then free to once again illegally enter the US and commit more crimes. At least while they are jailed here, they are off the streets.

I agree that jail is 'too nice' in some ways. People who have committed very serious crimes should not be watching TV and going to weight rooms. They spend too much time sitting around thinking up new ways to get into trouble. With the exception of the insanely violent ones at places like Leavenworth and Tamms, the rest of them should have to do 8 hours of work a day instead of lying around all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
608 posts, read 791,473 times
Reputation: 409
Good idea. Why not use the convicts as agricultural labor? This would keep many farmers/ranchers from hiring illegal immigrant help, while puting these criminals to use for society. (Perhaps this program could even lower the prices US citizens pay for food)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
82 posts, read 178,359 times
Reputation: 46
antireconquista - you had me going there for a minute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,120,662 times
Reputation: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardocobos View Post
This according to a February 19, 2009 report from the Pew Hispanic Center, a DC non-partisan think tank.



And although Hispanics only make up 13% of the adult population, they represent 40% of those who have been sentenced in federal crimes. The report further identifies that "Most Latinos with federal sentences are not U.S. citizens."

How does that make you feel?

Should non citizens serve their time in their own countries jails where they don't have cable, a/c and all the comforts of a US federal prison at your expense and mine?

Tell me what you think
You miss a few problems with your choices. If you leave them here, we need to pay for them. If you send them back, chances are they won't serve too much time. Either way, it is no win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
82 posts, read 178,359 times
Reputation: 46
Buffalo that is why I included the option "It hurts my brain to think about it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top