U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Recent news reports that fewer Hispanics may be migrating to the United States and some are even returning to their home countries, because of the U.S. economic crisis, are drawing attention in Little Rock, where signs of these trends can be seen.
MSNBC News article

And the band plays on..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM

42 posts, read 79,100 times
And everyone else has less money to live on here at home. Cry me a rio for the hispanics.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,297,320 times
Crisis usually come when corrections are necesary, it's a natural way of regulating the excesses and abuses that lead to it.

It's good and healthy to see the good things of this crisis instead of focusing on the negative aspects of it.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Why would US Hispanics need to send money "home"?....I thought US Hispanics WERE home, when they were in the US. If this isn't so, where is "home" for a US Hispanic?...

Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Interesting play of words eh macmeal? Reminds me of roaming gypsies.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Crisis usually come when corrections are necesary, it's a natural way of regulating the excesses and abuses that lead to it.

It's good and healthy to see the good things of this crisis instead of focusing on the negative aspects of it.
Yes. The past couple decades were about excesses and abuses. It's been about cheap labor, exploitation. Irresponsibility of all kinds.

Now we're going to realize that much of the "wealth" was just an illusion. It wasn't based on anything solid. It's going "poof" because far too much was based on credit and debt. Remittances didn't for the most part build up infrastructure or create jobs, much of that money was just about spending, buying luxuries.

Reality will hit the fan and we will have to get back to basics. Food is the biggest thing I think. I think all countries -- including Mexico and the USA should push agriculture and food independence.

People can actually take a lot. They can see their savings and investments dwindle. They can lose an expensive house and go back to renting. They can drive a car for a few more years, even avoid buying the latest iPhone or iPod. Panic will be when they can't feed their children.

I think people may start getting away from globalism and internationalism. All that has created so much inter-dependence that we all collapse together. With separate countries, at least some succeed, some fail.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why would US Hispanics need to send money "home"?....I thought US Hispanics WERE home, when they were in the US. If this isn't so, where is "home" for a US Hispanic?...
I send money to my family in Ivory Coast. My neighbors send money to both Germany and Mexico to family. A person can have multiple homes.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I send money to my family in Ivory Coast. My neighbors send money to both Germany and Mexico to family. A person can have multiple homes.
But the USA "home" is just to get that money. It means nothing more than that.

Too many "immigrants" today have their hearts in their homelands but their bellies in the USA. It's all only about the money. Now what happens when our economy collapses for that? We cannot go on being the only economy for the entire world, with millions coming here only to raid us.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Too many "immigrants" today have their hearts in their homelands but their bellies in the USA. It's all only about the money. Now what happens when our economy collapses for that? We cannot go on being the only economy for the entire world, with millions coming here only to raid us.
It's a global economy...Americans do the same thing abroad. Go to the Middle East. When we lived in Saudi Arabia, roughly 100k were American citizens (now rougly 30k...). To us Riyadh was home, but so was the US and Ivory Coast.

People that have never experienced it don't understand this concept. To them, they think of home in singular terms, not understanding the complexities of multinationalism. I guess to be fair, it usually is a unique situation, esp. here in the states. Europeans understand the concept more. You can have multiple homes.

My mom's best friend back in Riyadh has lived there for 30 years. Canada and Madagascar are her homes as well as Saudi Arabia. You can have multiple homes.

Technology and spreading of cultures create communities of trans-nationals. It really is not a new concept, but it is one that few Americans have dealt with.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Which is exactly why we need to build a wall around the entire perimeter of the southern border and post armed forces. stop the abuse of the 14th, cut off the freebies, empty our jails of them and deport or force out every illegal caught here. It is way past time to go back to the need based only tradition for LEGAL immigration.

For more than a decade we have imported massive numbers of poverty, ignorance and illiteracy from all over the world. They in turn have brought or reproduced their 3rd world dysfunctional behavior, crime waves and massive birth rates. None of which is beneficial to this country nor needed. We have enough problems of our own.

It's way past time to get back to basics and only allow those who are educated and skilled to immigrate legally to the US. Everybody else needs to either be sent home or stay home.

Very profound and to the point.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-06-2009 at 03:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or