Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

Like others have said, I doubt there is a person that supports illegal immigration, but you never know

Because this is an American forum (Although lots of it's members are from other places) most discussions and posts are about Ilegal immigration to the US. Yet no country is exempt of receiving illegal immigrants.

If the number of illegal immigrants keeps rising, and the rise on their numbers creates tensions this means that there is obviously something wrong with the current approach.

Most people who live in countries that receive big numbers of illegal immigrants will eventually turn against them and perceive them as a threat to their way of life, when the majority of those illegals happen to be of a certain country, some people also develop negative sentiments towards that country or culture, some do it because they see illegal immigrants as leeches who just take and don't give anything back in return, others are angry because they don't pay taxes while they have to foot their bills, others hate the idea that wages are pressed down by these illegal immigrants and others are simply scared of a different culture.

Yet there will be always people who sympathizes with those illegals, it could be because they share their heritage, ethnicity, etc or because they feel it is unfair that they had more chances than them and believe that it is tremendously unfair to deny them the same chances they had because they are residing in the country illegally, people who feel like this usually don't view illegal immigrants as criminals, but as desperate people who is trying to improve their lifes.

In my perception the problem of illegal immigration is getting worse, not better, because there will be always people who want to seek a better life in rich countries, willing to put themselves into an illegal situation and there will be always loopholes in the system or people who benefits from those illegals that will help their cause, this is very similar to what happens with the war on drugs.

Because of these reasons in my very personal opinion I believe that criminalizing migration is not very bright. Because there have been migrations since the dawn of mankind, and people will continue to do it even if nowadays it's considered a crime to do it without the proper authorization. But I'm by no means the holder of the absolute truth, so maybe I'm the one who's not very bright.

Yet I believe that there should be less restrictions to immigrate to other countries, but as it has been demonstrated by history, it is very difficult for different countries to agree in something.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 03-08-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Like others have said, I doubt there is a person that supports illegal immigration, but you never know

Because this is an American forum (Although lots of it's members are from other places) most discussions and posts are about Ilegal immigration to the US. Yet no country is exempt of receiving illegal immigrants.

If the number of illegal immigrants keeps rising, and the rise on their numbers creates tensions this means that there is obviously something wrong with the current approach.

Most people who live in countries that receive big numbers of illegal immigrants will eventually turn against them and perceive them as a threat to their way of life, when the majority of those illegals happen to be of a certain country, some people also develop negative sentiments towards that country or culture.

Yet there will be always people who sympathizes with those illegals, it could be because they share their heritage, ethnicity, etc or because they feel it is unfair that they had more chances than them and believe that it is tremendously unfair to deny them the same chances they had because they are residing in the country illegally, people who feel like this usually don't view illegal immigrants as criminals, but as desperate people who is trying to improve their lifes.

In my perception the problem of illegal immigration is getting worse, not better, because there will be always people who want to seek a better life in rich countries, willing to put themselves into an illegal situation and there will be always loopholes in the system or people who benefits from those illegals that will help their cause, this is very similar to what happens with the war on drugs.

Because of these reasons in my very personal opinion I believe that criminalizing migration is not very bright. Because there have been migrations since the dawn of mankind, and people will continue to do it even if nowadays it's considered a crime to do it without the proper authorization. But I'm by no means the holder of the absolute truth, so maybe I'm the one who's not very bright.

Yet I believe that there should be less restrictions to immigrate to other countries, but as it has been demonstrated by history, it is very difficult for different countries to agree in something.
As you stated, TF.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM

608 posts, read 1,005,008 times
As others have stated, not many support illegal immigration. But point is moot without secured borders.

This article is one example why some people support controlled immigration. But with an immigration process that is ineffective and bureaucratic illegal immigration prospers. It is reality. Those who say no more legal immigration we have enough workers are only kidding themselves. Needs and wants of the unemployed and available jobs and their locations do not alway match. Otherwise this would be a non issue in the economy that we have today.

Of Milk and Mexicans: Times Argus Online

Quote:
Surprised? Farmers and agriculture officials in the audience weren’t. They estimate as many as 2,000 Mexicans work on Vermont’s 1,100 dairy farms, helping to produce as much as half of the state’s $2 billion in annual milk sales.
Quote:
“Dairy would cease to exist in this state without migrant workers,” Bridport farmer Cheryl Connor says. “They’re desperate, we’re desperate, and both in need of each other.”

Quote:
“We have to educate John Q. Public in the whitest state in the nation why we have to have migrant workers if we’re going to keep our farms open,” she pointedly tells the press.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
NO, NO, NO except in the case of a health emergency, Yes.

Btw, just because we have different views on how to solve this problem doesn't mean we support illegal immigration or open borders.
Thank you. I rest my case......NOBODY supports illegal immigration....NOBODY. This forum is a 'lively discussion among those who are in agreement on EVERYTHING, except a few details'....because absolutely NOBODY on this forum supports illegal immigration.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
As others have stated, not many support illegal immigration. But point is moot without secured borders.

This article is one example why some people support controlled immigration. But with an immigration process that is ineffective and bureaucratic illegal immigration prospers. It is reality. Those who say no more legal immigration we have enough workers are only kidding themselves. Needs and wants of the unemployed and available jobs and their locations do not alway match. Otherwise this would be a non issue in the economy that we have today.

Of Milk and Mexicans: Times Argus Online
Two quick notes here:

#1: our southern border is being closed/locked------------much to the distress of the illegal aliens, drug runners, etc.

#2: those jobs in Vermont that are allegedly being unfilled by Americans since they will not 'stoop' that low............I call BS on the writer/editor of that newspaper.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
I don't support illegal immigration, and I feel entirely content to let the anti illegal immigration side regulate things. But when elements of that side start calling for mandatory identification checks and profiling, I feel it's necessary for someone to regulate them.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,180 times
BUMP

Can I get some viewpoints from those who probably support this issue, namely antialphabet?

Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutocrat View Post
BUMP

Can I get some viewpoints from those who probably support this issue, namely antialphabet?
Frankly: I doubt that the pro illegal side will actually admit to it.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Supporting Illegal Immigration would be the same as supporting a baby until 18 even tho it is of no blood relation to you. Any supporters should volunteer to pay xxx dollars into a fund every month for the 18 yr time period if they are so pro illegal immigration minded. Steve

Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I don't support illegal immigration, and I feel entirely content to let the anti illegal immigration side regulate things. But when elements of that side start calling for mandatory identification checks and profiling, I feel it's necessary for someone to regulate them.
It's not a good situation, but that's what happens when your system becomes corrupt. If you're a credit card holder, and that system becomes 'infected' with thousands of fraudulent cardholders, no doubt YOU will be inconvenienced, because "your" membership now becomes 'suspect'. You may have problems using your card, because of what OTHERS did.

If you're a contractor, and your area is infested with dozens of unlicensed 'fake contractors', YOU will probably be asked to 'prove' your worth before being hired to do work...you'll be asked to do this, because of the 'fakes' in your industry.

If you're an American citizen, and your nation contains some 20 or 25 million people who are NOT legally here, then YOUR citizenship is impacted. You may be asked to "prove" something you normally wouldn't, because it can no longer be taken for granted, because many of your fellow 'citizens', in fact, are NOT citizens. If you fit a 'profile', you may be questioned more often than if you don't....

I don't see the big 'mystery' here, I guess. When you neglect to 'take care of business', at some point it catches up with you. For years now, we've neglected our borders....now we're paying the price. Do you have another suggestion?...(Please..not 'amnesty', and not 'open borders'. I'm talking about a REASONABLE suggestion, not a way to simply exacerbate an already bad situation)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration