U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times

Advertisements

Washington US President Barack Obama on Friday opposed the idea of inviting overseas nurses, including from India, to fill up the huge shortfall the United States is facing right now.

America like most of the Western countries is faced with acute shortage of nurses and in recent years it has allowed medical personnel from India, China and Philippines to immigrate to work in hospitals.

"The notion that we would have to import nurses makes absolutely no sense," Obama told a gathering of health experts and lawmakers at a White House meeting on health care reforms.

Instead, Obama argued that the best possible approach to meet this shortfall is to train people inside the country.

"For people who get fired up about the immigration debate and yet don't notice that we could be training nurses right here in the United States," he said responding to an observation made by Congresswoman Lois Capps from California.

Obama said there are a lot of people in the US who would love to be in the nursing profession, and yet the government is not able to providing them the resources to get them trained.

"That's something that we've got to fix. That should be a no-brainer. That should be a bipartisan no-brainer, to make sure that we've got the best possible nursing staffs in the country," Obama said amidst applause.

After outsourcing, Obama opposes overseas nurses - Express India

I can't believe it. Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 AM

608 posts, read 880,943 times
You would think people during this recession would be running over each other to sign up for training to enter a recession proof job. But then again, we can't make people enter professions that they are not interested in. This is the whole paradox of unemployment and rates of immigration. Available jobs and job desires of the unemployed do not always match. Either that or the unemployed lack the capacity or desire to change professions.

Quote:
"We have a huge shortage of nurses today. Estimates are that the US will be lacking over 500,000 nurses in the next seven years," said Democratic lawmaker Capps.
Quote:
The legislation notes that there are more vacant nursing positions in the US than there are qualified registered nurses and nursing school candidates to fill those positions. And according to the Department of Labour, the current national nursing shortage exceeds 126,000.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
Quote:
Obama said there are a lot of people in the US who would love to be in the nursing profession, and yet the government is not able to providing them the resources to get them trained.

"That's something that we've got to fix. That should be a no-brainer. That should be a bipartisan no-brainer, to make sure that we've got the best possible nursing staffs in the country," Obama said amidst applause.
Apply the same philosophy to computer programmers, if such a shortage exists, and I'd be extremely happy.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
Something is amiss here.

Congress can spend millions on "PORK" usless bills yet they cannot appropiate enough money towards Nursing schools.

I do believe they have their priorities in the wrong direction.

Simple thing would be to echange the "Swine Odor bill" to a "Nurse Education Bill".

Multiple Nurse schools would solve our problem regarding the shortage. Steve

Old 03-08-2009, 04:03 PM

103 posts, read 162,363 times
It is amazing to see Obama having such common sense. At a time when unemployment is increasing - actually training people within the country for needed jobs rather than importing outsiders -- what a brilliant concept.

The issue is much the same with U.S. doctors -- there is a shortage and it is filled by physicians coming in from the third world.

It boggles the mind why we don't train enough folks in the U.S. for these tasks as they are solid jobs and it is an inferior option to import folks from the third world.

Interestingly, countries like AU, NZ, UK all have this same issue and are not training enough people for healthcare jobs. The cost of training is high, the criteria to get into these schools is exclusive and the positions limited and next thing, instead of training folks who are culturally congruent with American society -- we import folks who have inferior training, language barriers and cultural deficits.

It all makes no sense.

I'm happy to see Obama make this statement.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
While I am happy to see Obama have this viewpoint, make no mistake --- he was talking about immigrants from India, the Phillipines and China. He would never make the statement 'we don't need them' if the immigrants in question were from Mexico, Guatamala or anywhere else south of the border -- not as long as he owes La Raza.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 AM

16,471 posts, read 20,002,503 times
I work in a long-term/rehab healthcare facility. And now they're slowly replacing our well-experienced LPN's with many years of exprience, with new-grad RN's, for one reason and one reason only: to improve their star system, you can advance from a 1 star rating for your facility to 3 stars by dumping the exprienced LPN's, who'd I more trust with my life than some new-grad RN, who are constantly badgering the existing LPN's for advice.

Cutbacks, cutbacks. At one time, we had 6 nurses on the floor at night, then down to 5, then to 4, now 3, with 40+ patients each. The CNA's cut down from 7, 6, 5, and now 4. Due to a nursing shortage? If only! It's the bottom line, folks! The Administrator gets a huge bonus every year based on how much she's cut costs over the last year, at the expense of the patients.

Shortage of nurses? Yes, a shortage of nurses who wish to take responsibility for 40 patients a shift and put their licenses at risk, each and every shift they work there. In my estimation, this shortage of nurses is vastly overstated. Too many have simply quit the field, unable to play Superman anymore!

Narrow the ratios from nurse to patient which is more humanly possible, and how many Nurses you'll find flying out of retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration