U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With U.S. forces fighting two wars abroad, the nation's top military officer made an important visit last week to forestall a third.

He went to Mexico.
MSNBC News article

This article is definitely 'immigration' related IMHO.

I have been predicting this sort of scenario for a while now.

I just hope that the Obama Administration has the courage to do the right thing------------even if it means the subjugation/takeover of Mexico for the safety of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM

117 posts, read 132,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
MSNBC News article

This article is definitely 'immigration' related IMHO.

I have been predicting this sort of scenario for a while now.

I just hope that the Obama Administration has the courage to do the right thing------------even if it means the subjugation/takeover of Mexico for the safety of the USA.
Imagine drug lords going up against US delta forces. The leatherhead actually has some experience in this game. I am here to tell you the drug lords armies don't fair to well against well trained disiplined soldiers. Too bad mexico is in short supply of such.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,082,318 times
Well, the funny thing about a war on drugs is that it's based on demand. Which is why a war on drugs is a dumb idea. Regulation of substances can work. The one big concern is how do we regulate said substances. Do we have government run shops to vend? Or like a liquor store where they must obtain a permit? Do we test all samples for purity? Or a select number? What about the addiction factor? Do we set limits to the amount that can be sold (like cough syrup)? Many more questions... I digress.

With marijuana, which is the top illegal drug to cross the border, I believe that this is a dumb fight. Look at all the upper middle class suburban homes turning into farms. Marijuana is a major crop in California, so if it doesn't come from across the border, we still have plenty homegrown.

The war on drugs is a war on a concept. There is no official body that we specifically target. Much like the war on terror. There are homegrown terrorists as well. Wars on concepts are doomed to fail, since there is tangible army or body that you are going after. You are trying to change the way people think with guns.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Well, the funny thing about a war on drugs is that it's based on demand. Which is why a war on drugs is a dumb idea. Regulation of substances can work. The one big concern is how do we regulate said substances. Do we have government run shops to vend? Or like a liquor store where they must obtain a permit? Do we test all samples for purity? Or a select number? What about the addiction factor? Do we set limits to the amount that can be sold (like cough syrup)? Many more questions... I digress.

With marijuana, which is the top illegal drug to cross the border, I believe that this is a dumb fight. Look at all the upper middle class suburban homes turning into farms. Marijuana is a major crop in California, so if it doesn't come from across the border, we still have plenty homegrown.

The war on drugs is a war on a concept. There is no official body that we specifically target. Much like the war on terror. There are homegrown terrorists as well. Wars on concepts are doomed to fail, since there is tangible army or body that you are going after. You are trying to change the way people think with guns.
Which is neither here nor there if Mexico indeed collapses.

Either we play 'hard ball' closing our southern border or our military may have to enter/secure Mexico.

Suffice to say: I hope to God that cooler heads especially in Mx prevail.......

Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM

124 posts, read 477,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
Imagine drug lords going up against US delta forces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Either we play 'hard ball' closing our southern border or our military may have to enter/secure Mexico.
Funny how people lives in a world of fantasy. Please stop watching Chuck Norris movies. They are not real you know...

Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,591,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
Funny how people lives in a world of fantasy. Please stop watching Chuck Norris movies. They are not real you know...
What would you have cities near border towns do? Hold hands and hand out lollipops?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
For the record: when the MSM (MainStream Media) which has the reputation of being pro illegal immigration flat states we (the USA) may be in real danger from Mexico's drug violence-------I definitely sit up and take notice.

Perhaps you are in denial, alxtronics.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,775,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Point well taken. Waging war on the weed is almost impossible. Logic lost there, Calif. is a prime example, but, we could stop all the hard stuff (coke, smack, ect.) at the borders. Most of it comes from Mexico, right? I don't think the politicans want to win the war on drugs. They make tons of money for the "fight". If they wanted to win they would send the military. Legal drugs didn't work in England did they?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
With 40 million Mexicans in the USA, a great number of them allied with their cartels, we'd be foolish to get involved in Mexico's internal problems.

The best thing we could do is get some control over the border, stop the drugs from coming in, that would cut off the money supply. Without the drug money, then they can't buy weapons from us.

If we can't make the effort to enforce the border, then we cannot win the war. Those people have grenades, they aren't afraid or too politically correct to kill children, torture and decapitate victims and leave the heads on poles and fences to terrorize the public. They'll do the same thing here as they do back home.

A government that cannot find illegals and is too afraid to send them home, and cannot enforce a border shouldn't even be thinking about getting involved.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
With 40 million Mexicans in the USA, a great number of them allied with their cartels, we'd be foolish to get involved in Mexico's internal problems.

The best thing we could do is get some control over the border, stop the drugs from coming in, that would cut off the money supply. Without the drug money, then they can't buy weapons from us.

If we can't make the effort to enforce the border, then we cannot win the war. Those people have grenades, they aren't afraid or too politically correct to kill children, torture and decapitate victims and leave the heads on poles and fences to terrorize the public. They'll do the same thing here as they do back home.

A government that cannot find illegals and is too afraid to send them home, and cannot enforce a border shouldn't even be thinking about getting involved.
That which I bolded would be enough to cause the USA to go insane and possibly do things against anything that could be identified as 'Mexican'.

Again: I hope to God that cooler heads prevail first.

Malamute stated that one thing to do would be to secure our southern border. And of course: play hard ball with mass deportations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration