Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Soon we may be accused of discrimination for even entertaining the thought that these ‘good’ men may have ill intentions. It could even become a hate crime to deny them the ‘right’ to seek work, by any means necessary. As crazy as this country is becoming, nothing is too ridiculous to imagine.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but this is happening now. Several home-improvement centers in OUR area have been 'pushed', bullied, or otherwise 'convinced' to provide a 'staging area for day laborers'. In one case, this was made a condition of the store's getting a permit to open a new branch. SOME of this appears to be a voluntary business decision...some not so much. ONE of these places a few months back was the scene of an ugly "Minutemen vs illegals" dust-up that made it BRIEFLY into the local news.

Several cities, too, have provided these places at taxpayer's expense. And while they SWEAR on their (collective) MOTHERS" GRAVE(S) that each and every job seeker is LEGALLY in the US, enforcement and oversight are sporadic at best, or absent.

And yes, just as you suggested, ANY attempt to 'cut back' on these operations is INSTANTLY met with charges of 'hate', racism, or WORSE.

Sorry to have to bring this to your attention...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but this is happening now. Several home-improvement centers in OUR area have been 'pushed', bullied, or otherwise 'convinced' to provide a 'staging area for day laborers'. In one case, this was made a condition of the store's getting a permit to open a new branch. SOME of this appears to be a voluntary business decision...some not so much. ONE of these places a few months back was the scene of an ugly "Minutemen vs illegals" dust-up that made it BRIEFLY into the local news.

Several cities, too, have provided these places at taxpayer's expense. And while they SWEAR on their (collective) MOTHERS" GRAVE(S) that each and every job seeker is LEGALLY in the US, enforcement and oversight are sporadic at best, or absent.

And yes, just as you suggested, ANY attempt to 'cut back' on these operations is INSTANTLY met with charges of 'hate', racism, or WORSE.

Sorry to have to bring this to your attention...
Incredible!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Moderator cut: orhpaned

Back on topic. I doubt seriously if Home Depot would permit U.S. citizens to hang trash bags on the perimeter trees. There’s a Home Depot near a friends’ house that is neighborhood blight. There must be at least 50 loitering on a regular basis. Obviously, they aren’t getting work as easily as before, and have converted a section of the parking lot into a hang out. It’s awful. Who would want to shop there?

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2009 at 04:37 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You’re crazy!

Back on topic. I doubt seriously if Home Depot would permit U.S. citizens to hang trash bags on the perimeter trees. There’s a Home Depot near a friends’ house that is neighborhood blight. There must be at least 50 loitering on a regular basis. Obviously, they aren’t getting work as easily as before, and have converted a section of the parking lot into a hang out. It’s awful. Who would want to shop there?
Not familiar with the 'hanging trash bags' thing..(perhaps it's the language barrier?.....something about the English slang term "hanging out" that was lost in translation?).

My LOCAL Home Depot has NO 'day workers'. (Others, near by, DO). In my particular area, there's a whole BLOCK leading up to a smaller lumberyard that serves as a 'pickup area'. LOTS of hopefuls, DOZENS in the morning, tapering off after noon to a few. I get a lot of 'waves', and I just wave back. My wife won't go down that street....but then again, the street doesn't go far..and she doesn't go to lumberyards, anyway. And I get along with these guys, and occasionally talk to them...but you're absolutely right, it WOULD be a little 'overwhelming' for a lady...we're talking possibly 100 or 150 people standing around in the space of one block.

About a year ago, there was a 'crackdown' and the police sat there for a day or so.....but a week later, the street was 'back to normal'.

Pretty much just a part of life here, I guess...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not familiar with the 'hanging trash bags' thing..(perhaps it's the language barrier?.....something about the English slang term "hanging out" that was lost in translation?).

My LOCAL Home Depot has NO 'day workers'. (Others, near by, DO). In my particular area, there's a whole BLOCK leading up to a smaller lumberyard that serves as a 'pickup area'. LOTS of hopefuls, DOZENS in the morning, tapering off after noon to a few. I get a lot of 'waves', and I just wave back. My wife won't go down that street....but then again, the street doesn't go far..and she doesn't go to lumberyards, anyway. And I get along with these guys, and occasionally talk to them...but you're absolutely right, it WOULD be a little 'overwhelming' for a lady...we're talking possibly 100 or 150 people standing around in the space of one block.

About a year ago, there was a 'crackdown' and the police sat there for a day or so.....but a week later, the street was 'back to normal'.

Pretty much just a part of life here, I guess...
Imagine a Home Depot with trees lining the area near the sidewalk adjacent to the store. Now, imagine huge black trash bags tied to random trees. It’s not a pretty picture.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Imagine a Home Depot with trees lining the area near the sidewalk adjacent to the store. Now, imagine huge black trash bags tied to random trees. It’s not a pretty picture.
I'd rather not. I believe you...(not a pretty picture, indeed. I once had the daily duty of checking up on an outlying wastewater pump station, the shrub-lined access road of which served as the informal 'latrine' for the local hangout......in a word, "yuck" !!

I often scolded the 'users' and ran them off..but finally just gave up. Since my daily 'check' lasted less than 15 minutes, I figured 'why bother?')

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Before I fled California, I lived about 3 miles from a Home Depot in San Diego. On the few occasions that I needed to shop at a Home Depot, I drove 45 miles to one of the few Home Depot locations that did not have several dozen "day laborers" harassing customers. They were agressive and desperate and frightened some of the customers (especially women shopping on their own....I think they thought they'd have better luck with the women because they probably thought women were more likely to need their help).

I don't live near a Home Depot now, but I do live close to a Lowe's. And we don't have illegals in this city, so it's so refreshing to be able to go buy a new faucet or lawn mower, and not be completely acosted.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,505 times
This has not been a problem in our area, and it better not start. How to stop it is be sure the companies which do work for you do not hire them. It takes longer when lining up contractors-but it can be done. I have hired tree cutting crews who all speak perfect English, and found a masonry crew the same way. Don't hire outfits who hire them, the sad truth is, that if we had political leaders who had guts, this would stop-but Bush didn't do anything about it, Obama certainly won't. The two jerk wad governors of Maryland and Virginia are such candy-asses they wouldn't dream of pushing legislation to halt this stuff if it did get like this here with illegals getting pushy. In DC, you might see it start with the dipstick white folks, but I can tell you this, the black folks would kick their illegal butts out of the shopping center if they started pulling that stuff.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
To Former Cal Girl; Home Depot on Palm Ave in Chula Vista now has the "Illegals"? workers on the curb and sidewalk next to the drive entrance away from the parking lot. Things are a lot better now. No more hassles in the pkg lot like before. Steve

Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times
For some reason, Home Depot's and Lowe's are "magnets" for the low lifes of the community.

ANYONE have ANY insight into this ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration