U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 AM

477 posts, read 572,352 times

Advertisements

So what appens if you walk out of one of HD and yell "Ice" as loud as you can with pointing gestures? Do they scurry away like a bunch of cockroachs?

This issue is out of hand! The illegals or our congressmen must go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,647,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
For some reason, Home Depot's and Lowe's are "magnets" for the low lifes of the community.

ANYONE have ANY insight into this ?
Not "low lifes" at all. Illegally here, yes....and getting increasing attention from the public....but 95% of these guys are looking for work...while managing to annoy the HELL out of the passing public....LARGELY it's a matter of 'cultural misperception'. The all-male 'meat market' is a common way of getting 'help' in much of the Third World...and it's NO PLACE for ladies. Sounds very 'un-PC', I know....but that's the reality. MOST of these guys, I can assure you, wouldn't want THEIR wives passing by here, either..it's a rough, tough 'man's world', totally appropriate in the Third World...but raises some eyebrows in American suburbia.

The REASON for this (which, to LARGE extent, has in the past been ENCOURAGED by store management to some degree) is that it supposedly began as a 'draw; for the passing, stressed-out "little guy" contractor...one who ran his own small business. Pick up a load of plywood, a box of nails, and a couple of 'helpers', all at the same location, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, and no promises made. Homeowners, too, looked at it as a way to get 'bodies'...for example to unload concrete blocks, do the 'grunt work', and then be FINISHED. This system worked well for YEARS in my area, until recently, when the whole 'system' simply got out of hand.

It's a LONG story, but basically it's a matter of "too much of a (once) good thing". What worked well in moderation, turns 'ugly' when taken to excess.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,436,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
This has not been a problem in our area, and it better not start. How to stop it is be sure the companies which do work for you do not hire them. It takes longer when lining up contractors-but it can be done. I have hired tree cutting crews who all speak perfect English, and found a masonry crew the same way. Don't hire outfits who hire them, the sad truth is, that if we had political leaders who had guts, this would stop-but Bush didn't do anything about it, Obama certainly won't. The two jerk wad governors of Maryland and Virginia are such candy-asses they wouldn't dream of pushing legislation to halt this stuff if it did get like this here with illegals getting pushy. In DC, you might see it start with the dipstick white folks, but I can tell you this, the black folks would kick their illegal butts out of the shopping center if they started pulling that stuff.
I tried that when I had a new fence installed recently. I asked the salesman if his company hired illegal aliens and he assured me they did not. I also told the salesman that I wanted all the workers to speak English so I could communicate with them if a problem arose. He assured me, saying "don't worry, they will be all white boys." I was offended by that remark and told him I didn't care what color they were as long as they were citizens and spoke English.

Anyway, the crew arrives and they are all speaking spanish! I almost told them to pack up and leave, but the company already had my $3,000 deposit and I wasn't sure how they would handle it. Also, they were five guys and I was by myself at the house (I am a woman).

Now, I need other work done and am afraid of the same situation happening; they will just lie to you. I'm in New Jersey so probably wouldn't get much sympathy from a court if it came to that. How do you make sure the companies you hire are not using illegals?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,400,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not "low lifes" at all. Illegally here, yes....and getting increasing attention from the public....but 95% of these guys are looking for work...while managing to annoy the HELL out of the passing public....LARGELY it's a matter of 'cultural misperception'. The all-male 'meat market' is a common way of getting 'help' in much of the Third World...and it's NO PLACE for ladies. Sounds very 'un-PC', I know....but that's the reality. MOST of these guys, I can assure you, wouldn't want THEIR wives passing by here, either..it's a rough, tough 'man's world', totally appropriate in the Third World...but raises some eyebrows in American suburbia.

The REASON for this (which, to LARGE extent, has in the past been ENCOURAGED by store management to some degree) is that it supposedly began as a 'draw; for the passing, stressed-out "little guy" contractor...one who ran his own small business. Pick up a load of plywood, a box of nails, and a couple of 'helpers', all at the same location, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, and no promises made. Homeowners, too, looked at it as a way to get 'bodies'...for example to unload concrete blocks, do the 'grunt work', and then be FINISHED. This system worked well for YEARS in my area, until recently, when the whole 'system' simply got out of hand.

It's a LONG story, but basically it's a matter of "too much of a (once) good thing". What worked well in moderation, turns 'ugly' when taken to excess.
Well, I, for one, am personally delighted that Home Depot has egg on it's face and is facing customer backlash, me for one. Ever since I realized just how illegal immigration is ruining this country I have had a deep resentment toward companies like Home Depot. As far as I'm concerned it was never a once good thing but it certainly has turned 'ugly'.

Go to Home Depot and get your very own illegal to do the work cheap. Oh, by the way, your very own illegal with all of his family will be overcrowding and bankrupting the hospital that you use, your very own illegal's children will be overcrowding and ruining the schools that your own children go to, your very own illegal might also very well be a criminal, child molester, rapist, or gang banger back in Mexico, you wouldn't know since you know nothing about your very own illegal, your very own illegal doesn't speak much English so you'd better learn sign language, your very own illegal may just be fraudulently using all of the welfare he can get. Your very own illegal has lots of baggage, doesn't he? You maybe saved a few bucks on your own little project while you helped ruin America?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 AM

32,979 posts, read 30,239,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I tried that when I had a new fence installed recently. I asked the salesman if his company hired illegal aliens and he assured me they did not. I also told the salesman that I wanted all the workers to speak English so I could communicate with them if a problem arose. He assured me, saying "don't worry, they will be all white boys." I was offended by that remark and told him I didn't care what color they were as long as they were citizens and spoke English.

Anyway, the crew arrives and they are all speaking spanish! I almost told them to pack up and leave, but the company already had my $3,000 deposit and I wasn't sure how they would handle it. Also, they were five guys and I was by myself at the house (I am a woman).

Now, I need other work done and am afraid of the same situation happening; they will just lie to you. I'm in New Jersey so probably wouldn't get much sympathy from a court if it came to that. How do you make sure the companies you hire are not using illegals?
References.

I had a guy pull that on me for concrete work. I gave him the job after asking if he was licensed and used legal labor. When the guys showed up and couldn't speak English I got on the horn and told the guy to come pick up his crew as he was done because he lied. Don't pay up front.

This guy thought I would be at work and wouldn't be home to bust his lil scam. He wasn't even the cheapest.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,637,927 times
not according to the pro illegal posts on CDF, those people are swedish tourists that are asking directional info in spanish to home depot customers.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 AM

6,573 posts, read 18,028,398 times
The answer is simple fox. Do you pay for your food in a restaurant before you have it at your table and digested it? Don't think so. Need more work done? ...no deposit until they start to do the work and conditions you specified.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,647,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Well, I, for one, am personally delighted that Home Depot has egg on it's face and is facing customer backlash, me for one. Ever since I realized just how illegal immigration is ruining this country I have had a deep resentment toward companies like Home Depot. As far as I'm concerned it was never a once good thing but it certainly has turned 'ugly'.

Go to Home Depot and get your very own illegal to do the work cheap. Oh, by the way, your very own illegal with all of his family will be overcrowding and bankrupting the hospital that you use, your very own illegal's children will be overcrowding and ruining the schools that your own children go to, your very own illegal might also very well be a criminal, child molester, rapist, or gang banger back in Mexico, you wouldn't know since you know nothing about your very own illegal, your very own illegal doesn't speak much English so you'd better learn sign language, your very own illegal may just be fraudulently using all of the welfare he can get. Your very own illegal has lots of baggage, doesn't he? You maybe saved a few bucks on your own little project while you helped ruin America?
I can't discount your post...it's all part of our 'evolving' society. America has changed; illegals have changed; and that's pretty much 'that', as I see it. The 'gentlemens' agreement' which once held true in this arena has long since disappeared, (along with most of the 'gentlemen'). And it's not going down well.....I certainly agree with SOME of your points.

What 'worked' in another era, (and I SAW it working, myself) no longer works. And the result is anger, frustration, and increasingly bitter rhetoric.

All part of our evolving society. Welcome to multiculturalism 101....where 'nothing is wrong, and nothing is right,....and I can't judge anyone, because what's right for ME might not be right for HIM'.

Expect to see MORE of this sort of 'discourse' over the next few decades....over MANY issues besides 'immigration'. Meanwhile, call me a pessimist if you like....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or