U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

The Orange County California Newspaper

This is a very good letter to the editor. This woman made some good points. For some reason, people have difficulty structuring their arguments when arguing against supporting the currently proposed immigration revisions. This lady made the argument pretty simple. Not printed in the Orange County Paper. Newspapers simply won't publish letters to the editor which they either deem politically incorrect (read below) or which does not agree with the philosophy they're pushing on the public. This woman wrote a great letter to the editor that should have been published; but, with your help it will get published via cyberspace.

From: 'David LaBonte'

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to 'print' it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined. Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:

Dear Editor:
So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None of these first generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the United States of America as one people.

When we liberated France , no one in those villages was looking for the French-American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are in 2008 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.

(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

It sure would be great to keep THIS LETTER MOVING. FOR THE WRONG THINGS TO PREVAIL THE RIGHTFUL MAJORITY NEEDS TO REMAIN COMPLACENT AND QUIET. LET THIS NEVER HAPPEN.

I sincerely hope this letter gets read by millions of people all across the nation
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
I'm wondering if the ranks of Illegals and their supporters have grown to the point that the possibility of their votes means conversing about it is easily sequestered, especially on the web. Votes are powerful, even if they shouldn't have one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
The Orange County California Newspaper

This is a very good letter to the editor. This woman made some good points. For some reason, people have difficulty structuring their arguments when arguing against supporting the currently proposed immigration revisions. This lady made the argument pretty simple. Not printed in the Orange County Paper. Newspapers simply won't publish letters to the editor which they either deem politically incorrect (read below) or which does not agree with the philosophy they're pushing on the public. This woman wrote a great letter to the editor that should have been published; but, with your help it will get published via cyberspace.

From: 'David LaBonte'

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to 'print' it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined. Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:

Dear Editor:
So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None of these first generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the United States of America as one people.

When we liberated France , no one in those villages was looking for the French-American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are in 2008 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.

(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

It sure would be great to keep THIS LETTER MOVING. FOR THE WRONG THINGS TO PREVAIL THE RIGHTFUL MAJORITY NEEDS TO REMAIN COMPLACENT AND QUIET. LET THIS NEVER HAPPEN.

I sincerely hope this letter gets read by millions of people all across the nation
I DO seem to remember that there was a time when America felt better about itself, and its immigrants felt better, too, and their fondest hope was to become "good Americans"...so much so that some of them even sought the APPROVAL of the local Americans, and hoped they'd be "accepted". My own grandparents often spoke of this.

Poor, misguided folks. Today, we'd shake our heads in condescending pity, and simply conclude that these 'poor slobs' had given up their individuality, and lost their cultures. They became Americans. Apparently, they just felt they had no other choice...if they wanted to 'join' America, they'd have to take steps to assimilate ....imagine that!

Today's immigrant is more 'savvy'. No need to 'give up' anything, the new immigrant looks for ways that America may assimilate to HIM. Just because you want to LIVE here, is no reason you should have to 'fit in'.


I think I admire the former method, more than today's. But that's just me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I DO seem to remember that there was a time when America felt better about itself, and its immigrants felt better, too, and their fondest hope was to become "good Americans"...so much so that some of them even sought the APPROVAL of the local Americans, and hoped they'd be "accepted". My own grandparents often spoke of this.

Poor, misguided folks. Today, we'd shake our heads in condescending pity, and simply conclude that these 'poor slobs' had given up their individuality, and lost their cultures. They became Americans. Apparently, they just felt they had no other choice...if they wanted to 'join' America, they'd have to take steps to assimilate ....imagine that!

Today's immigrant is more 'savvy'. No need to 'give up' anything, the new immigrant looks for ways that America may assimilate to HIM. Just because you want to LIVE here, is no reason you should have to 'fit in'.


I think I admire the former method, more than today's. But that's just me.
There are hundreds of thousands of American Citizens with you macmeal
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I DO seem to remember that there was a time when America felt better about itself, and its immigrants felt better, too, and their fondest hope was to become "good Americans"...so much so that some of them even sought the APPROVAL of the local Americans, and hoped they'd be "accepted". My own grandparents often spoke of this.

Ahh yes...the good old days of the submissive immigrants, in a more innocent time when Americans stood for something, the workplace was less diverse, as was higher education, some Americans weren't allowed in places other Americans were, yada yada yada.
Where's that America? What's this multicultural mess I'm looking at now?
Where's my right to superiority? Why isn't anyone trying to seek my approval? Why doesn't anyone care what I think??

It just ain't the same anymore....


(I think only some of America felt better about itself in the "good old days". Today, a lot more Americans are 'feeling better about themselves' together. Today's America is better than yesterday's America, no question. Even with the presence of illegal aliens.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,408,714 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Ahh yes...the good old days of the submissive immigrants, in a more innocent time when Americans stood for something, the workplace was less diverse, as was higher education, some Americans weren't allowed in places other Americans were, yada yada yada.
Where's that America? What's this multicultural mess I'm looking at now?
Where's my right to superiority? Why isn't anyone trying to seek my approval? Why doesn't anyone care what I think??

It just ain't the same anymore....


(I think only some of America felt better about itself in the "good old days". Today, a lot more Americans are 'feeling better about themselves' together. Today's America is better than yesterday's America, no question. Even with the presence of illegal aliens.)
Excellent point! A friend of mine talks about how there were certain days of the week where Latinos and Blacks were not allowed to be out downtown doing their shopping in the middle of the day. There are countless examples of how unfriendly America was. People forget that in the good old days, America was only legally open to immigrants of white countries. The melting pot was only meant for whites.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Excellent point! A friend of mine talks about how there were certain days of the week where Latinos and Blacks were not allowed to be out downtown doing their shopping in the middle of the day. There are countless examples of how unfriendly America was. People forget that in the good old days, America was only legally open to immigrants of white countries. The melting pot was only meant for whites.
A lot of times I hear older White Americans reminiscing about how great America used to be, because America used to be more suited towards White males. And they just assume everyone else was okay with it.

I like this America a lot better. I like not feeling like I have to "gain approval" of anyone. I like being able to look at culture, not in the sense of which is superior and which is inferior, but in being able to share different cultures.

Race relations, while not perfect, are the best they've ever been, and as the next generations come along, and the old attitudes towards race/ethnicity start fading more and more, things will be even better.

Just 15 years ago, I was mostly hanging out with people like me. Now I have a VERY diverse group of friends, I'm getting more exposure to cultures other than mine, and I feel like my life is richer because of it. This is the America I love. Not the America of the 1950s.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Excellent point! A friend of mine talks about how there were certain days of the week where Latinos and Blacks were not allowed to be out downtown doing their shopping in the middle of the day. There are countless examples of how unfriendly America was. People forget that in the good old days, America was only legally open to immigrants of white countries. The melting pot was only meant for whites.
True, there was much to decry in our society in earlier times....no one can reasonably argue with that. But are you saying you see no POSSIBLE alternative between total segregation (which was never really total), and today's 'PC madness' in which "good" people can't even DISCUSS illegal immigration without descending into a 'racial shouting match'? Can't even DISCUSS crime, or drug use, or gang violence, or Middle Eastern terrorism, or college entrance exams, or teenage pregnancy, or the rate of students dropping out of school, without 80% of the discussion never getting past 'race'?

Of course the past was 'rough'. In MANY ways...for MANY people, of MANY descriptions. Too bad, though, that we can't seem to think of a way to improve upon it without losing our common sense.

I've maintained consistently on this forum for well over a year now, (and for many years before I ever HEARD of this forum), that it's my belief that America COULD (maybe, I HOPE) someday be an example of a multiracial, multiethnic society, living VOLUNTARILY under our own self-written laws, and STILL be united in a common 'purpose', a sense of 'us as a people', an emphasis on our similarities, and a de-emphasis on our 'differences'. This forum, and the things that are said on here, show me that I MAY be hoping in vain.

So if we don't want 20 million illegals here, it can ONLY BE because it threatens 'white males'....is evidence that we're 'racists'?....'fascists'?...REALLY? That's the ONLY thing we can 'agree on' in regards to illegals? Sounds pretty hopeless to me.

As I said before, I'm afraid maybe my 'dream' just won't happen, and that my multiracial family may continue to be just an 'anomaly' in an increasingly more fragmented society, and that SOME day, ALL of our public discussions in this society will come to resemble THIS ONE (illegal immigration)..."I'm with MY people, and you're with YOURS....and if YOU disagree with ME on (+++ you name it+++), that's because you're AGAINST ME, because your group never DID like my group. MY group is underrepresented, and I INSIST that MY group be EXACTLY AS WELL OFF, in EVERY WAY, as EVERY OTHER GROUP (all 12 of them)." How does one POSSIBLY make such a demand, with 'straight face'?....yet, that's what many of us are doing....

That's what MOST of the 'illegal' forum sounds like....and, as I said, in the future, so will ALL arguments. If we can't 'hang together', we'll 'hang separately', as a famous white male once said.

Last edited by macmeal; 03-11-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
people can't even DISCUSS illegal immigration without descending into a 'racial shouting match'? Can't even DISCUSS crime, or drug use, or gang violence, or Middle Eastern terrorism, or college entrance exams, or teenage pregnancy, or the rate of students dropping out of school, without 80% of the discussion never getting past 'race'?





That's what MOST of the 'illegal' forum sounds like....and, as I said, in the future, so will ALL arguments. .

You act like all that is new. It's been around and will be around for a long time. If anything, it's less prevalent today than in the past. Dwell on it if you wish, but if you choose to, you'll never see an end to it.
Politics will be politics, and there's never going to be a day when everybody gets along with everybody on everything.

Don't trick yourself into thinking all the "racial shouting matches" started because of political correctness. If anything, you sound like you preferred when things were more "peaceful" because a lot of people didn't really have a voice in that shouting match.

Our society is more integrated than ever, and minorities having a voice, even if it is to complain, has contributed to this more integrated society.

We're progressing, and I can't fathom your reasoning on how we're degressing. It doesn't make sense, and no offense, but it sounds based on paranoia more than anything. Reality doesn't back up your theory.

It sounds like the only way you think a multicultural society can work, is if there is a dominant group with everyone else submitting to it, bowing at it's feet trying to "gain approval".
I disagree, and improving race relations back up my views.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Ahh yes...the good old days of the submissive immigrants, in a more innocent time when Americans stood for something, the workplace was less diverse, as was higher education, some Americans weren't allowed in places other Americans were, yada yada yada. Where's that America? What's this multicultural mess I'm looking at now?
Where's my right to superiority?
Why isn't anyone trying to seek my approval? Why doesn't anyone care what I think??

It just ain't the same anymore....
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
A lot of times I hear older White Americans reminiscing about how great America used to be, because America used to be more suited towards White males. And they just assume everyone else was okay with it.

I like this America a lot better. I like not feeling like I have to "gain approval" of anyone. I like being able to look at culture, not in the sense of which is superior and which is inferior, but in being able to share different cultures.

Race relations, while not perfect, are the best they've ever been, and as the next generations come along, and the old attitudes towards race/ethnicity start fading more and more, things will be even better.

Just 15 years ago, I was mostly hanging out with people like me. Now I have a VERY diverse group of friends, I'm getting more exposure to cultures other than mine, and I feel like my life is richer because of it. This is the America I love. Not the America of the 1950s.
True to form, you have taken macmeal’s comments and twisted them to suit your race-baiting agenda. Must EVERYTHING pertain to race with you? The OP and macmeal’s post relate to “immigrants” and the vast differences between previous immigrants, who actually wanted to become “American,” and the current crop who want the benefits of living in the U.S., but nothing else. The U.S. is seen as simply the Land of Milk & Honey -- a place to prosper, with no allegiance or desire to assimilate. These so-called immigrants would be equally as happy in Timbuktu, as long as the perks were comparable. I am reminded of gold diggers -- ANY man will do, as long as he’s wealthy; because ‘love’ is not a component of the relationship.

Yes, we had made progress. Now, the hard-fought progress is being decimated, thanks to pro-illegals who have turned the issue of illegal immigration into one of racism and hatred against Mexicans/Latinos/Hispanics. As long as pro-illegals continue to conflate legal/illegal immigration, and vilify all opposition as being racially motivated, race relations will continue to decline.

As a child, I lived through the tumultuous Civil Rights Movement, and have firsthand knowledge of “real” racism and discrimination. Thus, I am incensed by these spurious tactics employed by pro-illegals to recreate that era in an attempt to justify and support illegal immigration.

Racial intolerance, injustice, discrimination, etc. are NOT the OP. Furthermore, how do they relate to the attitudes of current immigrants, or the entitlement mentality of ingrate illegal aliens?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top